Have you guys seen the new Fender Princeton Reverb?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Looks awesome, wish it wasn't quite so expensive though. I reckon 15w is perfect for gigs considering the amount of places that prefer to put the amps through the PA...At least you'll be able to crank it without incurring the wrath of the sound engineer...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd say the Princeton is a baby DRRI. Well, maybe more like a "teenager" DRRI.
:)

Nah. I can't crank 22W in a house or apartment (well, I can, but only during the day when nobody's around), and the same goes for 15W. 5W gives you the full range at reasonable volume for home use. That's why I'd like to see them reissue a Blackface Champ with an 8" or even a 10".

• Members

I hope that the market does drive down the price of that amp because it would be perfect for me! Even though 22W isn't very noticeable to 15watt on an amp of equivalent dimensions it is different however when you compare 22watts from a 12inch speaker and 15watts from a 10inch speaker.

Sadly as much as I would love a DRRI, it is too much power for my home playing. The 15watter seems like the logical choice, and with all the reverb countrols...wow. I really, really, want that amp. Sadly I can't justify the cost...

• Members

If I didn't have my 1965 PR I would seriously be thinking about getting one.

I traded a DRRI for this PR and haven't regretted it for a second.

I think in a year or less, we'll be seeing used PRRI on ebay and craiglist.

Just wait and get a used one.

I agree that they overpriced this amp.

• Members

:idea:With the four button footswitch of the Princeton Recording amp, it's almost like having four different channels. I leave all the stompboxes at home except for a tuner and Small Stone chorus. PS- I never use the attenuator.

• Members

Just saw him last night, if it was a reissue he was using the tone was Amazing!

I thought he used SF Princetons but who knows. Maybe hes got a deal with Fender to play the new ones. Who knows. He posts over on the tele forum here and there and I'm sure all those guys have asked that question before.

I'd love to see him live. Now if I can just get to NYC on a Monday night...

• Members

PR is a one channeled DR .

with a smaller speaker and the wrong voltage going to the phase inverter tube on purpose because at the time the engineers didn't want the amp to compete as closely with the DR. They wanted an amp that was a step between the Champs and the DR so they purposely wired the PI weak off the rectifier. That why you're getting only 15 watts out of two 6V6 tubes in push/pull instead of 22. The OT is a little wimpy too so a lot of guys upgrade it when fixing this glitch to get a "one channel DR"

• Members

:idea:With the four button footswitch of the Princeton Recording amp, it's almost like having four different channels. I leave all the stompboxes at home except for a tuner and Small Stone chorus. PS- I never use the attenuator.

cool! I want one:thu:

• Members

Pricewise it doesn't make sense b/c it's also too close to the Princeton Recording amp. For 2 bones more you get a built in attenuator, compression and overdrive?

Why get the RI?

When I played that amp the only thing I thought was worth having was the attenuator. And even then I could get along fine without one.

Archived