ALRIGHT! the 21 st century guitar has arrived!

Bruce Bennett

• Members

I've just changed my forum 'handle' from 'Bigfun' to my real name. It was a hold-over from a sportbike motorcycle forum I've been hanging around in for the past four years. The name originally was a reference to the license plate on my 00' Suzuki Hayabusa which read 'BIGFUN'...which it certainly was...and then some.

I was starting to feel a little silly with that online name, especially when talking about my guitar designs.

Here's my old bike (gone for several years now) that I took my general online name from:
bigfunplatesmall.jpg

Here's the entire 'BIGFUN' beast:
Busaatpark2.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Glad to hear from ya John.

Ok, Update.
BIG NEWS
The Stainless is finally underway.
Found a guy that has a laser cutter and he SWEARS that he can repeat this design and for a reasonable price.
Now.
I started blanking out necks several weeks back but this morning I had some spare time and actually cut some headstocks out.
My camera is dead at the moment but I'll post a photo of the new headstock here shortly.
It may not be as good as what John would draw but It does seem to fit the body design well enough.

I have settled on the color scheme for this first one too.
Metallic red and Pearl white.
with the stainless steel work. it should have both the rocket ship two tone look of the 50s autos plus have more than enough eye appeal for the guys around here.
I'm getting stoked again.
the neck is gonna be a glued in type and the pickups are the next thing to worry about.
I just completed a beautiful tele style for gocatgo here at HCEF that used the Pete Biltoft Vintage Vibe pickups and I gotta say they were amazing and I'm wondering if I should let him do these.
one criteria.
They MUST have chrome covers.
So suggest away.

• Members

ok here is a quicky photo of the headstock design.

bear in mind that the lower part of the headstock will be routed "down" from the level of the rest of the headstock and there will be a stainless steel trussrod cover that extends to cover the area between the rout. sorta seperateing the two levels from each other.

• Members
Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

I just completed a beautiful tele style for gocatgo here at HCEF that used the Pete Biltoft Vintage Vibe pickups and I gotta say they were amazing and I'm wondering if I should let him do these.

one criteria.

They MUST have chrome covers.

So suggest away.

Pete does some very nice chrome covered pups. Here's a humbucker sized P90 he did for me with a solid nickel cover:

bridge.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by warriorxtman

It kinda looks like a futuristic concept they would have come up with back in the 50's.

The cut components in the first post remind me a bit of a Ric 360. The drawing in post two evokes the vibe of a '65 Ford Mustang. This could be big! :cool:

Bigfun's drawing here is very Buick-like with the three "vents". http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/JohnBacklund/Superretrorocketageguitar.jpg

• Members

GREAT NEWS!
The new neck with it's never before seen design is coming together, and quick too.

This morning I routed the truss rod, built the fingerboard, bedded the truss rod and glued up the fingerboard in only 2 hours!...
Tomorrow I'll be carving the neck profile. and starting a new set of blanks for 9 more of these.

now that the templates are all done, this should be a very simple and repeatable guitar to make.

I now have two suppliers for the stainless steel work. and the painter is stoked about doing the two tone paint jobs.

I took pictures of every thing I did this morning and I'll post them here tonight.
stay tuned.

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

Boy, there sure is a lot of wood to carve away in that neck! I guess that's part of the price in having a one-piece head-neck?

humm.. i don't know...

how much is a lot?

I always thought that you carve away as much as is needed...

the neck has always been inside the wood. you just need to get rid of all the excess..:)

can't wait to attack this thing tomorrow morning... Ah. I can smell the sawdust now...

Photos of the carnage to come tomorrow night!

• Members
Originally posted by GilmourD

Bruce... Did you used to be a member on tdpri.com? I remember seeing those drawings from the OP elsewhere.

I'm a member of TDPRI. I posted some sketches of my designs there on several occassions, at least the tele-based ones, to see what kind of reactions they got from the telecaster crowd. Those are the drawings you saw.;)

• Members
Originally posted by John Backlund

I'm a member of TDPRI. I posted some sketches of my designs there on several occassions, at least the tele-based ones, to see what kind of reactions they got from the telecaster crowd. Those are the drawings you saw.
;)

I thought they looked familiar. It's been a couple years since I really was a regular over there... Still playing Teles, but just doing other things for some reason. :)

• Members

It's very sleek looking. I'm not sure how practical it might be for playing sitting down however. That lower bout looks like it would dig into your leg and be uncomfortable. However, it would still play better that way than a V or an Explorer or a few others I suppose.:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by fretmonster

It's very sleek looking. I'm not sure how practical it might be for playing sitting down however. That lower bout looks like it would dig into your leg and be uncomfortable. However, it would still play better that way than a V or an Explorer or a few others I suppose.
:confused:

ah, well that was one of the more important aspects of the design work..
I took lots of pains to make sure that the design is ergonomically comfortable and has no serious long term playing issues.
and your talking to a man that gets bad places on his right forearm from the edge of a Les Paul.
I did not want this guitar to have any of those issues.
and so far everyone that has held the bopdy agrees with me that it's a very comfortable body shape with no hard edges that are in the players "path"

Archived