ALRIGHT! the 21 st century guitar has arrived!

Bruce Bennett

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by hondro

if you could bring the price down to $300-$500 I bet a bunch of us would buy one:thu:

I would, cuz I'm such a nice guy and would like to help ya out:)

Sure thing Hondro,
I'll call up sammick and order 10,000.

But I'm gonna need your deposit first.;)

It would be nice if i could do that...
But My wife and kids have really gotten attached to....

eating!

:rolleyes:

"if you can't pay. then you can't play.
S.Bennett"

sorry, my wife just hijacked the keyboard. her words , not mine.

• Members

Originally posted by Bigfun

just think, Gregg....we could be the 'Orange County Choppers' of the guitar world!!!!! I could design them and always show up late for work, and you could go up against the deadlines, storm about yelling at everyone and throw temper tantrums (and guitar parts).

I think it'd be a hit! Great idea.

Maybe I need to design more 'production friendly' components.

I think it would be fun anyways, I actually tried to talk to Discovery channel about it, but they have a really strange deal involved in that. seems they only deal with producers and not average people.

I might need to talk with the producer of American Chopper to get any real movment on it.

• Members

Originally posted by C-4

That is a super tasty-looking guitar!

What do you think something like that will cost base price?

as a handbuilt unit it's gonna be over 2-3K

as a production unit it could be around 1500.00 maybe better ..

it depends on how much the real estate prices keep skyrocketing

( thats metaphorical)

gotta run. maybwe get some more work done on it this morning before work.

• Members

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

Hey, what would folks think about an "American Luthier" type TV show?

Would it work?

I think your idea for the show has already been done. It was on the DIY Channel...a show called 'Handmade Music'. They ran like 4 or 5 episodes last year that took you through building an acoustic guitar from chopping down the tree, to playing it in the studio. Once the guitar was done, they did a mandolin.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dhmm/0,2044,DIY_16997,00.html

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

I think your idea for the show has already been done. It was on the DIY Channel...a show called 'Handmade Music'. They ran like 4 or 5 episodes last year that took you through building an acoustic guitar from chopping down the tree, to playing it in the studio. Once the guitar was done, they did a mandolin.

cool .. to bad we don't get that channel.

• Members

Well, Here are photos of todays build work.
First, The body was cut out of the blank this morning and then the perimeter was routed into it's basic shape.

astrocaster1.jpg

Then the "arched top" was started by routing down with a bullnosed bit, around the area where the stainless steel pickguard/control plate will go.

astrocaster2.jpg

• Members

next I started working on the arm scarf ( contour area) and the deep bevels that will be the "fin styled " accents.
it's coming along very nicely I think.

astrocaster4.jpg

I also did the belly contours while doing the arm scarf that way the edges will "flow" into each when viewed from the playing edge.

after the rest of the arched top work is done, I'll be working on the control routs and neck pocket.
I MAY possibly make this a set mahogany neck version. I haven't made that decision yet.

• Members
Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

Astrocaster is a "working title" for the time being.

I really don't have any kind of name for it.... Neither did the forumite that drew it.

but if anyone has any suggestions..

I'm planning to build two right away. One for sale and one for the fellow that drew it.

Better build three, Batoman is always buying gtrs. :D

• Members

Bruce,

Fantastic work! :thu:

You mentioned "Astrocaster" as a working title but you already know that name will never fly (no pun intended).

You're building a truly unique design and it deserves a truly unique name.

How about:

The Radian
The Katana (sorry, it's the martial artist in me)
The Vertex or Vert-X
The Orbital
The Probe

~Blackbelt

• Members

Sorry about the 'Gregg' thing...Bruce, I must have had Greg Bennett of Samick design fame in mind. He had just been in Rapid City doing a little show for Samick guitars and I had him sign my black Samick 12 string. Aside from the general brain-fart, I just got my 'Bennetts' confused for a moment. I'm sure it happens to you all the time.

Here's a couple of new, 'over th' top' designs to peruse if ya'll get tired of looking at the 'same ol' new ones. This visual monster hasn't been named yet....'Bizzy' might be appropriate though. (The 'wrinkly' look is from the vellum paper I use when drawing these types of sketches, the scanner picks them up a bit too well):
Superretrorocketageguitar.jpg

This one is called the 'Mobius' ('Mobius Dik' would be a fun twist on the name......ok! maybe not), It's not entirely thought-out as far pickup type or even proper placement for them on the body. I just slapped a few on it 'wherever' for now. Notice the clever(?) 'Saturn' tone and volume knobs, I'm quite proud of them:
Mobiusconceptguitar.jpg

• Members

Ah! My work here is done then!

If it wasn't for the three buick-ish 'vents', the guitar is probably as much related to a Chrysler of the mid to late fifties...but Buick will do too, I like em' all (and I did own a very pretty 58' Buick at one time).

• Members
Originally posted by BowerR64

This is like the american chopper version for guitars.

Do somthing that has a nasa twist, or a spiderman twist. What about american steel, caterpillar or Comanche?

I design these things to look the way they do because I'm personally infatuated (obsessed may be a better word) with what may be generally referred to as 'retro-futuristic' or 'atomic age' styling. None of my designs are really a 'novelty' item, at least to me....they are solidly where my mind is 'at', at least for now.

In all humbleness(?), I could easily make a Spiderman 'theme' guitar, or any of the others that you mention, but I'd rather not just be a direct extension of someone elses imagination or creativity, as I would become doing specific product or copyrighted characters like Spiderman etc.

I basically 'work' in a vaccuum, and other than a vague, instinctive notion of what 'atomic age' stuff should look like, I really just make lines that 'go together' in what I feel are a 'right' way and in a certain proportion to make things look...good..to me.

Others may have a different impression of my work than I do and in fact may see them as merely novelties, but as fun as they are for me to create, they're also a serious effort to bring into 'existence' things that I cannot find outside of my own imagination, things that I would love to find already here...but can't, and neither can anyone else who may be attracted to this sort of thing, at least to the degree that I want to take it.

Some of my guitar designs will eventually be built, one way or another (Bruce Bennett is building an 'Astrocaster' right now...duh! it's his thread), maybe not in large numbers, but If I want to physically possess and actually play one of my goofy stringed concoctions I'll have to find a way (helpful, interested and skilled people) to convert my paper dreams to wood, plastic and metal.

By the way, the 'Buick' guitar art is just a tight pencil that I drew yesterday so that I can transfer the image to illustration board and airbrush a full-color rendition of it, which I'll start on Thursday (29th) and finish it on Friday or Sat. I'll post a scanned shot of the finished color art on the weekend.

This is a bit long-winded, but I like to talk about this stuff almost as much as drawing it.:freak:

• Members

On the Buick Special guit, I think the switch above the neck pickup would be very cool if it was rotary, and spun about 90 degrees, and selected the pickups.

You could just push down on one side of the knob, or pull up on the other to accomplish the same effect, and do the opposite for the reverse selection.

Novel little detail, IMO.

Great work, btw, I'm 21, and think those are very, very neat ideas.

• Members
Originally posted by Bigfun

I design these things to look the way they do because I'm personally infatuated (
obsessed
may be a better word) with what may be generally referred to as 'retro-futuristic' or 'atomic age' styling. None of my designs are really a 'novelty' item, at least to me....they are solidly where my mind is 'at', at least for now.

In all humbleness(?), I could easily make a Spiderman 'theme' guitar, or any of the others that you mention, but I'd rather not just be a direct extension of someone elses imagination or creativity, as I would become doing specific product or copyrighted characters like Spiderman etc.

I basically 'work' in a vaccuum, and other than a vague, instinctive notion of what 'atomic age' stuff should look like, I really just make lines that 'go together' in what I feel are a 'right' way and in a certain proportion to make things look...good..to me.

Others may have a different impression of my work than I do and in fact may see them as merely novelties, but as fun as they are for me to create, they're also a serious effort to bring into 'existence' things that I cannot find outside of my own imagination, things that
I
would love to find already here...but can't, and neither can anyone else who may be attracted to this sort of thing, at least to the degree that I want to take it.

Some
of my guitar designs will eventually be built, one way or another (Bruce Bennett is building an 'Astrocaster' right now...duh! it's his thread), maybe not in large numbers, but If I want to physically possess and actually
play
one of my goofy stringed concoctions I'll have to find a way (helpful, interested and skilled people) to convert my paper dreams to wood, plastic and metal.

By the way, the 'Buick' guitar art is just a tight pencil that I drew yesterday so that I can transfer the image to illustration board and airbrush a full-color rendition of it, which I'll start on Thursday (29th) and finish it on Friday or Sat. I'll post a scanned shot of the finished color art on the weekend.

This is a bit long-winded, but I like to talk about this stuff almost as much as drawing it.
:freak:

Sounds like your taking the right approach.. I love the work.. Don't change a thing..

And the Mobius is KILLER VERY do-able a just a bit Les Paul-ish without being Too much so. The "buick special" is extremely nice . But that one will be a bit harder to do.. I may try it though.
Awesome work John! Don't stop.

Forget the "gregg" thing I was just mess'in with ya. I do have a slight bit of trouble with getting confused with the sammick guy.. I just keep telling folks "no, I built the REALLY NICE guitars from America" :D;)

anyway.
I'm off to the shop this morning to try to get some more work done on the "sculpted top" maybe even start work on the neck blank too.

• Members

i like the mobius one alot. :thu: personally, i would sort of wonder if there might be some way to give a little more access to the higher frets on the treble side of the neck where it meets the body. just a thought...

also, for those who are looking for an alternative to "astrocaster" how about
"aristocraster" (or "aristocaster" if the "r" grates on the suffix). :idea:

what do you think?

Archived