ALRIGHT! the 21 st century guitar has arrived!

Bruce Bennett

• Members
Originally posted by BowerR64

What if the center section was hollow? use the little vent things on the top section as the custic vents

brucetele.jpg

actually that IS an option for the future,

The larger piece you "hollowed out" is really a "carved top" routing template.
It will be used to rout the top of the guitar "DOWN" in that shape and then the rest of the guitar will be carved away to match it... think Joe Satrinani Ibanez.
the pickguard template will have the sound holes. AND the pickguard will be made of Brushed Stainless steel so it can BE the bridge and tailpiece for the guitar.

i may also build one that looks just like the tele setup in the drawing. but I'm really stoked about the pickguard/ tailpiece/ bridge, thing.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

Buck rodgers VS Babylon Five.

Looks like a Switch with more defined portions.

Wouldn't paying that sitting wear those ridges FAST?

Those "ridges" are not going to be cut all the way through the edge of the guitar, but only deep beveled and then painted black.

They are strickly cosmetic.

So far, they haven't posed any real problems, But if they do.. you can rest assured they will be the first thing to be changed.

I may even just have them airbrushed on instead of carveing them.

• Members

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

Well,... At least I think so.

This is a photo of a set of buildable Templates for a guitar drawn by a formumite here.

It took me a while to work out all the details so that the drawning was completely buildable, but I believe I have all the kinks worked out and I'm now ready to start cutting wood for this.

Take alook at the photos and let me know what you think,

I buy one.

• Members

Sorry , I already checked .. it's not patentable.

It's only trademarkable.. ...and I already did that.

You did a design patent search?

Getting the outward appearance of a product trademarked is very difficult unless the product has been around long enough to have acquired 'secondary meaning'--which is instant recognition by the intended customer (such as the shape of the Coke bottle).

However, a design patent is relatively easy to obtain but is not as enforceable.

To go the cheap route you could submit drawings of your guitar to the USPTO as a publication to prevent anyone else from obtaining a patent or trademark of the design. It won't give you any exclusive rights though.

• Members
Originally posted by axegrinder

FINALLY- Leo's answer to the Moderne!!!!

I may carve one up for myself if it's ok. I can see it in ash, walnut and copper (or aluminum)!! Hopefully this will have the standard Fender neck pocket right? You understand of course!!!
:D

1. no, it's NOT OK,

2. ash, yes. walnut, yes. copper, very cool...

3. No, the neck pocket will not be like a standard Fender because this guitar is designed to be better than a Fender and How dare you even suggest such a thing!...

You understand of course, that I must tell you now..

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

;):D:p

• Members

1. no, it's NOT OK,

2. ash, yes. walnut, yes. copper, very cool...

3. No, the neck pocket will not be like a standard Fender because this guitar is designed to be better than a Fender.

;):D:p

1. OK OK I won't do it as long as one is available on the open market. hint hint...

2. :cool:

3. Then make the scale length a bit longer than 25.5'...like 26+" tuned to Eflat or D. If not that at least get rid of the square neck heel...like contoured with no plate.

• Members

Originally posted by axegrinder

3. Then make the scale length a bit longer than 25.5'...like 26+" tuned to Eflat or D. If not that at least get rid of the square neck heel...like contoured with no plate.

I built an electric guitar a few years back that was a 26.1/8th scale (standard Classical) and it was amazing.

it could get chimed harmonics on nearly every fret includeing the first and seconds.

Finger stretch was a tad limited though, and that kind of killed the idea rather quickly.

but i could build one just for you if you like.

I was thining about making this a set neck with almost no heel, and making it a 25" scale.

The templates appear to be a bolt on but thats only for reference points. I could build this either way with very little modification.

• Members

Originally posted by Jaggery

expected price range?

I'm hoping to keep it near 1800.00 with a custom made H.S. case.

But thats gonna depend on how much the machinists rape me for the stainless steel pieces.

If anyone out there can get me a better deal on brushed Stainless Steel & machine work..

PM me.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Alright!, finally the last of the design logistics/ measureing work is done.
I have finally put hand to wood.
Here is a photo of the honduran mahogany blank that was started today 12/27/05

Hopefully this build will go to paint within a month.

Hey, what would folks think about an "American Luthier" type TV show?
Would it work?
astrocasterblank.jpg

Oh yeah,.. some bad news... As much as I wanted this price to stay less than 2K..
I have found out that it just ain't gonna happen, at least not for the hand made prototype anyway.
Maybe after I take the design offshore it could become less expensive but this first unit is gonna have to be pricy.

You won't BELIEVE what they want to do this stainless work.

• Members

Hey, what would folks think about an "American Luthier" type TV show?

Would it work?

just think, Bruce (I edited this post because I called Bruce 'Gregg' here...can we just chalk this up to my being a tad eccentric, which everyone knows goes hand-in-hand with hyper-creative people such as myself...Kee-rist I'm obnoxious sometimes)..we could be the 'Orange County Choppers' of the guitar world!!!!! I could design them and always show up late for work, and you could go up against the deadlines, storm about yelling at everyone and throw temper tantrums (and guitar parts).

I think it'd be a hit! Great idea.

You won't BELIEVE what they want to do this stainless work.

Maybe I need to design more 'production friendly' components.

Archived