ALRIGHT! the 21 st century guitar has arrived!

Bruce Bennett

• Members

I've already drawn up bridge saddles that work with the design,
and will accomidate the acoustic pickup system I wish to use later..
they are to be attached to the pickguard and will be able to adjust all 6 directions..

Now I gotta scare up the 3K to have them made. :(

Lifes tough sometimes...

I would post the drawing here..

But not until I get some OFFICIAL PAPERWORK done on them..:D

anyone else getting a "good vibe" from the gold accents?
I'm likeing'em pretty good.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by id-man

I was thinking of brushed metal too but didn't expect that would be feasible. Silver leaf would be, with a clear over it - it could hold a sharp line and by burnishing the leaf with velour before it's cleared you could get some directional striation to appear.

I also thought about natural wood in those recesses, some sort of fabric (like tweed), or even a wire mesh. Hope these images gives the feeling a little.

And shut up about the bridge already, geez.

astrocaster3a.jpg

astrocaster3b.jpg

I think the wire mesh is hands down the best treatment I've seen yet for the recessed accents. To me that really ties the whole design together. :thu:

What I'm imagining is like the mesh grille of a Shure SM58 mic

• Members

Yeah , I'm thinking the gold textured accents work best..

I think I have a way that they will work and look good and be easy to do during the painting process.

anyone remember that shiny gold textured stuff that DeArmond-Rowe Industries used on some of the really cheapy thin pickups found on Silvertones, Teisco Del Rays, and a few other jap junk guitars from the early 60s?

I know where to get something like that.

• Members
Originally posted by Ratae Coritanorum

This needs bumping.......oh...yeah great Bruce:thu:

yeah, she is definetly HOT!...

But she make me want to do other things than build guitars....:D

and the color scheme is cool.

but i don't think it will work for this guitar.

too hard to fit the fishnet stockings over the neck..
:D

• Members

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

Yeah , I'm thinking the gold textured accents work best..

I think I have a way that they will work and look good and be easy to do during the painting process.

anyone remember that shiny gold textured stuff that DeArmond-Rowe Industries used on some of the really cheapy thin pickups found on Silvertones, Teisco Del Rays, and a few other jap junk guitars from the early 60s?

I know where to get something like that.

Yeah, that would be cool. That was a real fine mesh IIRC.

• Members

Hey, I can't get the rar file to uncompress, boohoo.

Still I gotta say that brassy inset seems to work great with every color scheme Stripes showed. Bruce is this like the old DeArmond foil you were talking about?

dearmond%201100.jpg

yeah , thats it.

I think thats will work.. what do you think?

• Members

yeah , thats it.

I think thats will work.. what do you think?

3M makes embossed foil sheilding tape, too - in copper, tin plated copper, and aluminum. Can't seem to find a really good picture of it, though... hmmm...

Ah, here we go - it looks like it's a much more subtle embossing pattern.

1345embossedfoil.jpg
1245embossedfoil.jpg

Info is here: http://tinyurl.com/ro2aw

Looks like you can request samples... hmmm... I wonder if they would send me enough free sample to shield a guitar? :D

• Members

Hey, I can't get the rar file to uncompress, boohoo.

Hey, try going to oldversion.com and looking under utilities and download the latest version of Winrar. That should allow you to uncompress the file. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what the problem is. Hope that helps.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Funderbunk

1345embossedfoil.jpg

If some sort of foil insert or mesh is selected I vote for a silver color that matches with the stainless...tarnishing is not something you'd want.

Also I like the pale green background in that foil photo...That would look sweet.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by CT6Mblack

Hey, try going to oldversion.com and looking under utilities and download the latest version of Winrar. That should allow you to uncompress the file. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what the problem is. Hope that helps.
:thu:

Nice tip, thanks. But it still won't uncompress, says "format unknown or damaged" and I've re-downloaded it numerous times. Hey Stripes, you still out there?

• Members

yeah , thats it. I think that will work.. what do you think?

I think it'll look like tape stuck to the top of a finish. Even with clear over it, it'll be on top rather than under. What makes the effect work is the idea that it's recessed as if covering a cavity - kind of like that way it is on that DeArmond pickup.

Those recesses are going to be pretty shallow aren't they? It's almost like it needs a trim around it, something to deliniate.

95_mesh_closeup.jpg

40262575.jpg

hottop_upperfilter.jpg

microphone.jpg

• Members

Nice tip, thanks. But it still won't uncompress, says "format unknown or damaged" and I've re-downloaded it numerous times. Hey Stripes, you still out there?

If you PM me your E-mail I'll send you the file uncompressed. It's less that 2meg.

• Members

I think it'll look like tape stuck to the top of a finish. Even with clear over it, it'll be on top rather than under. What makes the effect work is the idea that it's
recessed
as if covering a cavity - kind of like that way it is on that DeArmond pickup.

Those recesses are going to be pretty shallow aren't they? It's almost like it needs a trim around it, something to deliniate.

95_mesh_closeup.jpg

40262575.jpg
hottop_upperfilter.jpg

microphone.jpg

Excellent point, here

• 2 months later...

Archived