My heard of wild guitars

paulscape

• Members

Since this photo was taken Ive given away the two OLP's and have a tobacco burst USA EB Axis on the way, a custom guitar under construction and a lil fake Les Paul which will have Seth lovers and new electronics loaded in soon.

DSC03698copy.jpg

DSC03711.jpg

DSC03706.jpg

amp collection (missing is a dual showman reverb head I have back in australia)

DSC03705.jpg

• Members

Except for the {censored}ty fakes, did you get them locally or brought them over from home?

Only guitar I bought from home was the Ibanez acoustic Ive had since I was 15. I also bought over a Yamaha Pacifica but sold it. I bought the rest locally and a couple I bought from overseas (US Washburn N4, EB Axis and bits and pieces of parts). My favourites would be the Yngwie and sunburst strats, Ibanez Jem, 5150 replica, the yamaha semi acoustic and the Gibson SG 61 RI. The N4's not bad either.

Ive played a couple of nice Taylor acoustics lately from the US and man its tempting to get one of them. Maybe christmas time I'll take the plunge. The banjo, bass and mondolin are all cheap rubbish but useful for recording.

The first electric guitar I ever bought back in 1987 was exactly the same as your black aria pro guitar Arky.

• Members

Only guitar I bought from home was the Ibanez acoustic Ive had since I was 15. I also bought over a Yamaha Pacifica but sold it. I bought the rest locally and a couple I bought from overseas (US Washburn N4, EB Axis and bits and pieces of parts). My favourites would be the Yngwie and sunburst strats, Ibanez Jem, 5150 replica and the Gibson SG 61 RI. The N4's not bad either.

Ive played a couple of nice Taylor acoustics lately from the US and man its tempting to get one of them. Maybe christmas time I'll take the plunge. The banjo, bass and mondolin are all cheap rubbish but useful for recording.

OK then. I was actually hoping you had found a way to avoid paying import on those guitars :lol: Imagine I will have to bring over around 30 guitars one day and will be hit with 40-50% import & VAT on them :mad:

I ordered 2 guitars last year, 1 from the US and the other from Japan and didn't get hit with import, but I'm still careful and this time I'm not taking chances so I won't be ordering anything. Last year I bought a Schecter in a shop here and this time I got an ALDEN from Taobao which seems to be the only way to find something interesting here if you have the patience so skip over the 75% counterfeits they have listed there. No big guitar shops in Nanchang, and I heard that there's no "used" market in Shanghai either?

I'm very careful when it comes to buying anything branded here, you can never be 100% sure, can you? Especially when it has Gibson, Fender, Ibanez or Epiphone on the headstock.

Found an online shop which carries Edwards at least, but my experience is that even though online shops here list guitars they seldom have them in stock.

• Members

OK then. I was actually hoping you had found a way to avoid paying import on those guitars
:lol:
Imagine I will have to bring over around 30 guitars one day and will be hit with 40-50% import & VAT on them
:mad:

I ordered 2 guitars last year, 1 from the US and the other from Japan and didn't get hit with import, but I'm still careful and this time I'm not taking chances so I won't be ordering anything. Last year I bought a Schecter in a shop here and this time I got an ALDEN from Taobao which seems to be the only way to find something interesting here if you have the patience so skip over the 75% counterfeits they have listed there. No big guitar shops in Nanchang, and I heard that there's no "used" market in Shanghai either?

I'm very careful when it comes to buying anything branded here, you can never be 100% sure, can you? Especially when it has Gibson, Fender, Ibanez or Epiphone on the headstock.

Found an online shop which carries Edwards at least, but my experience is that even though online shops here list guitars they seldom have them in stock.

Ive also never paid any import tax on anything except for the Elmwood amp which copped me about 2000rmb. I was supposed to pay a bunch of tax on the Marshall amp but they delivered it and walked off. I can be 100% sure of what guitars Im getting just by playing them, by where they are sold (legitimate fender/gibson dealers etc) and by the price. I dont order online in china at all and would never order an expensive guitar online in china unless it was from guitar centre in Beijing or Tom Lee music in HK - I mainly buy good guitars from good shops in shanghai that are legitimate dealers (eg Best Friend Music shanghai). I dont know what I'll do when I return to australia. Maybe take a few expensive ones back each holiday with me and the rest will be in with everything else in a shipping container. I dont even know if I'll have the room back in australia to keep them all! If I have to pax tax on guitars well I'll be paying tax on everything else too I suppose (TV's, furniture, underwear). I dont know how it works. I will probably go back to australia as a company transfer and they will get hit with the shipping costs. They've had more than their pound of flesh from me :)

Ive had many friends leave china to go back to the US, Canada, England and Australia with lots of belongings...I can ask them what they did if you like.

• Members

Ive also never paid any import tax on anything except for the Elmwood amp which copped me about 2000rmb. I was supposed to pay a bunch of tax on the Marshall amp but they delivered it and walked off. I can be 100% sure of what guitars Im getting just by playing them, by where they are sold (legitimate fender/gibson dealers etc) and by the price. I dont order online in china at all and would never order an expensive guitar online in china unless it was from guitar centre in Beijing or Tom Lee music in HK - I mainly buy good guitars from good shops in shanghai that are legitimate dealers (eg Best Friend Music shanghai). I dont know what I'll do when I return to australia. Maybe take a few expensive ones back each holiday with me and the rest will be in with everything else in a shipping container. I dont even know if I'll have the room back in australia to keep them all! If I have to pax tax on guitars well I'll be paying tax on everything else too I suppose (TV's, furniture, underwear). I dont know how it works. I will probably go back to australia as a company transfer and they will get hit with the shipping costs. They've had more than their pound of flesh from me
:)

Ive had many friends leave china to go back to the US, Canada, England and Australia with lots of belongings...I can ask them what they did if you like.

The price alone doesn't say much, at least on Epiphone guitars :lol: I wouldn't buy Fender locally, I'd rather get a Japanese one like I did last time.

It's the other way around for me, I'll be bringing stuff over from Germany to China. Around 500 DVDs and 30 guitars if I haven't gotten rid of most of them by then. I don't even have the receipts anymore so I have no idea how they would charge me. I'm not really looking forward to that day. :lol: I could post them one by one, take a few with me when I come here or use a shipping service, with the latter I'm sure that I would have to declare all of the goods.

From Germany to China wouldn't be as much of a problem since everything you have owned in another country for more than 6 months isn't taxable in my country anymore. :idk: I would check the laws in Australia, maybe they are similar.

I will check out the shops in Shanghai next time, I always forget to ask for a multiple entry visa otherwise we would have gone to HK, too :mad:

• Members

I will check out the shops in Shanghai next time, I always forget to ask for a multiple entry visa otherwise we would have gone to HK, too
:mad:

Yeah let me know as my bass player works for Gibson in shanghai (as best friend music shops dealer) and can also get Fenders (both Japanese and US) for decent prices. He got my new Gibson SG 61 RI for about 10,500rmb which is about $1550US. They go for $2098US in america on musicians friend with a list price of $3,189.00.

Hopefully australian customs will be more interested in quarantine stuff like seeds, timbers and insects.

My gut feeling is you will be ok with your guitars coming into china.

Were you working in china or travelling?

• Members

Yeah let me know as my bass player works for Gibson in shanghai (as
best friend music
shops dealer) and can also get Fenders (both Japanese and US) for decent prices. He got my new Gibson SG 61 RI for about 10,500rmb which is about $1550US. They go for $2098US in america on musicians friend with a list price of $3,189.00.

Hopefully australian customs will be more interested in quarantine stuff like seeds, timbers and insects.

My gut feeling is you will be ok with your guitars coming into china.

Were you working in china or travelling?

Wow, those are good prices! Usually foreign goods cost the same or are even more expensive than in the US or even Europe (thanks to the insane import duties I take it). I will keep it in mind :thu:

It might be OK if don't get them all shipped at once :D Will have to see.

Not working here, my wife is Chinese and still living here so I come to China at least once per year and I plan on settling here in a couple of years. The job market back at home isn't that great and I think I might have better chances here. :idk: And I kind of like Asia. Will go back home in 1 1/2 weeks with a sack full of ToneRider pickups I guess :lol:

Last year I stayed for 3 months and did some work for my company back at home. Software development can be done anywhere.

• Members

Wow, those are good prices! Usually foreign goods cost the same or are even more expensive than in the US or even Europe (thanks to the insane import duties I take it). I will keep it in mind
:thu:

It might be OK if don't get them all shipped at once
:D
Will have to see.

Not working here, my wife is Chinese and still living here so I come to China at least once per year and I plan on settling here in a couple of years. The job market back at home isn't that great and I think I might have better chances here.
:idk:
And I kind of like Asia. Will go back home in 1 1/2 weeks with a sack full of ToneRider pickups I guess

Last year I stayed for 3 months and did some work for my company back at home. Software development can be done anywhere.

cool

Some things Ive had to pay more for...even items that are made in china (but cheaper overseas) but generally prices can be good and your not paying much middle man costs. The best scores Ive had were the sunburst strat and Ibanez jem. I picked them up when a large guitar store closed down and became several smaller budget shops. They had been sitting around for a while but were in good condition. I picked them up along with a roland fantom X keyboard for almost half price. Basically a closing down sale.

I got a chinese wife myself. Never looked back.

• Members

cool

Some things Ive had to pay more for...even items that are made in china (but cheaper overseas) but generally prices can be good and your not paying much middle man costs. The best scores Ive had were the sunburst strat and Ibanez jem. I picked them up when a large guitar store closed down and became several smaller budget shops. They had been sitting around for a while but were in good condition. I picked them up along with a roland fantom X keyboard for almost half price. Basically a closing down sale.

I got a chinese wife myself. Never looked back.

Yup, the US-owned brands which are made here (e.g. Epiphone & Squier) cost the same as in the US or more which might still be OK for us, but for the locals that's a whole lot of money. Only good deals I can find are on ALDEN, Gould, some Eastwoods & Jay Tursers since the shops on Taobao are getting them directly from the factory. :lol: I'm cool with those since I don't mind owning budget stuff.

490Yuan delivered with an unpadded gig bag... Has a paint chip on the back, but I don't mind.

sirocco_01.jpg

I haven't found any real local (Chinese-owned) brands so far except for maybe Soloer. Do they actually have any???

Good scores, and I don't plan on living in Nanchang so we will get an apartment in Shanghai. The future may not be that bleak, gear wise. :) Heck, I could probably even get guitars made here for cheap :lol:

Yeah, my wife is great. Sometimes she nags a bit, but otherwise she's the greatest!

0021_800.jpg

• Members

Yup, the US-owned brands which are made here (e.g. Epiphone & Squier) cost the same as in the US or more which might still be OK for us, but for the locals that's a whole lot of money. Only good deals I \

Good scores, and I don't plan on living in Nanchang so we will get an apartment in Shanghai. The future may not be that bleak, gear wise.
Heck, I could probably even get guitars made here for cheap

Yeah, my wife is great. Sometimes she nags a bit, but otherwise she's the greatest!

0021_800.jpg

can find are on ALDEN, Gould, some Eastwoods & Jay Tursers since the shops on Taobao are getting them directly from the factory. :lol: I'm cool with those since I don't mind owning budget stuff.

490Yuan delivered with an unpadded gig bag... Has a paint chip on the back, but I don't mind.

sirocco_01.jpg

I haven't found any real local (Chinese-owned) brands so far except for maybe Soloer. Do they actually have any???

Nice axe I like that configuration. There was a Robin way back when like that I was gassing for. Do the shops there carry Dinosaur I had a tele copy by them not bad. I have a B. Knight strat copy here probably the worst strat copy ever it is thin and muddy. I miss China the food the cheap beer the girls.

• Members

Wot?

Is this an inside joke, or are some counterfeits?

You have confused me, Meine Herr.

Both? :lol: Fake $60 Sambora strat :cop: And the $100 "Gibson" which isn't on those pics yet. Missed the 2 videos he had posted here?

• Members

Yup, the US-owned brands which are made here (e.g. Epiphone & Squier) cost the same as in the US or more which might still be OK for us, but for the locals that's a whole lot of money. Only good deals I can find are on ALDEN, Gould, some Eastwoods & Jay Tursers since the shops on Taobao are getting them directly from the factory.
I'm cool with those since I don't mind owning budget stuff.

sirocco_01.jpg

Good scores, and I don't plan on living in Nanchang so we will get an apartment in Shanghai. The future may not be that bleak, gear wise.
Heck, I could probably even get guitars made here for cheap

0021_800.jpg

I see a trend here, ArKay. Even your wife is an import.

Archived