New Eagles: Long Road Out of Eden

scud133

• Members

Apathy!! I mean what DO any of you like? what DOES Float your boat if A {censored}ING EAGLES ALBUM Doesn't? I hear NOTHING but noise on the radio and this CD is Classic EAGLES...In case you guys don't know this the Eagles are one of the most popular bands on earth and for good reason. {censored}, I mean there are actual Harmonies, acual singing, acual good melody, actually played tasty guitar parts...What more do you want?? I think some of us are getting so critical and jaded that we've become so eclectic in our taste that nothing is good enough any more.

As for Radiohead. I don't get it, can't hear it and don't understand why people think this band is great. I deleted the new CD.

• Members

Apathy!! I mean what DO any of you like? what DOES Float your boat if A {censored}ING EAGLES ALBUM Doesn't? I hear NOTHING but noise on the radio and this CD is Classic EAGLES...In case you guys don't know this the Eagles are one of the most popular bands on earth and for good reason. {censored}, I mean there are actual Harmonies, acual singing, acual good melody, actually played tasty guitar parts...What more do you want?? I think some of us are getting so critical and jaded that we've become so eclectic in our taste that nothing is good enough any more.

As for Radiohead. I don't get it, can't hear it and don't understand why people think this band is great. I deleted the new CD.

Hmm....I think I wrote this entire post using a different name. Either way.....

+1 to both paragraphs.

• Members

Are you young?

Young in the sense that the Eagles were big before I was born? Yeah, haha

But what I mean is, take Hotel Calif for example (the album). It has some slower tempo stuff, sure, but overall that album rocks and it isn't depressing.

Long Road is so depressing I would only listen to it after a break up or if I thought I was about ready to kill myself

I know thats a bad joke but that's what it makes me feel like

• Members

Young in the sense that the Eagles were big before I was born? Yeah, haha

But what I mean is, take Hotel Calif for example (the album). It has some slower tempo stuff, sure, but overall that album rocks and it isn't depressing.

Long Road is so depressing I would only listen to it after a break up or if I thought I was about ready to kill myself

I know thats a bad joke but that's what it makes me feel like

Yea, this Eagles to me sounds like OLDER Eagles then Hotel California...Which Don Felder wrote a lot of he rock stuff on, including the song Hotel California....

• Members

I bought LROOE direct from eaglesband.com as FLAC downloads.

They sound pretty good, and I wasn't negatively impressed by bad mastering - it's all pretty consitent, as Bob Ludwig can do so well, and I've heard much worse.

It's mixed very well. The Eagles were ready to release a smaller version of this album a year ago, but wanted another year to mix it better, finish a few more songs, etc., so they made the deal with the devil to have a pile of money to live from for a year (as if they needed it, but a lot of people do depend on the band for a living).

The songs are good, good enough to compel me to listen a few times. It's impossible to figure out if any of these could be hits today, or hits 25 years ago. The singing is good on all counts (they have a team) of assistants who tune and time each syllable).

I agree it's too long. But I'm of the opinion that there is no double-LP album that is worthy of two LPs (OK, maybe Quadrophenia...maybe a few others). Frey has clearly stated since this release that this is the end, that they have no plans for more new material. It seems to me that they should have split this into two albums, but I don't know if that would have made two better albums, or two great albums. I also believe they wanted to finish this to put the Eagles to bed - whatever touring they will do to support this, and then bye bye (just when they appear to be getting along together). Funny that the reviews of the current tour are of the opinion that they are much better live than on this album.

The Eagles changed country music much more than they changed rock. It has taken decades, but most country music today sounds more like the Eagles than George Jones. It makes sense that the Wal-Mart audience will embrace this.

• Members

I thought their performance of "How Long" was kind of weak on the CMA awards last night. Instrumentallly it was good, I just felt the vocals weren't their best. I bought the album a couple days ago, but haven't listened to it yet. If it's mostly in the style of the '70's era Eagles, I'll be happy with that, I've liked them through all their stages.

• Members

The Eagles changed country music much more than they changed rock. It has taken decades, but most country music today sounds more like the Eagles than George Jones.

IMHO Poco were the ones that changed country music and offered the extensive harmonies - the Eagles followed it up.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I actually went to a fantastic (sold out) Eagles concert last night and I couldn't agree more with your post. It's indeed refreshing to see real musicians in action and people made up of flesh, blood and soul, playing well written songs with tasteful arrangements. Something that the majority of what passes for "artists" these days could really learn something from.

• Members

The reason the album is only OK is because the best songwriter and musician in the band was kicked out...DON FELDER....He wrote the music to many of the Great Eagles tunes and his guitar parts and arranging were instrumental when they went more rock...For instance, he completely wrote Hotel California and the music of Life In The Fast Lane just to name a few. Felder was an instrumental part of the overal picture and you can't just take away a member and expect it's going to be the same band or just as good...It's NEVER the same but sometimes you get lucky and the band is still good..Like in the case of AC/DC or Sammy Hagar Era Van Halen..Different then the original but still good. But the Eagles are the same Minus a Key member and they are not as good froma songwriting perspective. IMHO

• Members

I posted this in another forum, but I think it's relevant to this thread too:

One guy I know bought the CD, and he hated it. He was seriously bummed out about it, because the Eagles are one of his all-time favorite bands, and he couldn't get over how much the new one sucked. He said he listened to it over and over again, trying to find something to like about it, but couldn't find anything.

Then he realized what the problem was. The CD is simply too long. It contains about 18 or 20 tracks, (not sure which number), and out of those, 10 or 11 are really solid. The rest, he says, are cheesy, schmaltzy crap. (I've never heard the CD, myself, with the exception of one song, and never got the chance to ask him which was which.)

So he burned his own version of the CD, cutting out the offending tracks and keeping the good ones, and now he loves the CD.

He made the point that this is the problem with a lot of modern CDs--they simply contain too many songs, and it's hard for an album to retain its consistency over the span of 18 to 20 tracks. Nowadays, the public expects CDs to contain a lot of music, yet quantity doesn't necessarily equal quality. Just 4 or 5 bad songs can really drag down the quality of the the album as a whole. The classic albums of yesteryear typically only had 9 or 10 tracks. Probably one of the reasons why there are few really great albums anymore.

It sounds like this guy didn't really pay much attention to the music, he spent his energy critiquing the track number & arrangement. If rearranging and trimming the tracks makes a bad CD into a good one, maybe he should listen to the SONGS instead...?

I mean, cripes, what law says you have to listen to all the songs, in order, of both CDs, of the entire album?

Archived