Grovered my LP

paul44

• Members

Replaced the Klusons on my LP with Grovers.

Why? Well,there was a vagueness to the plastic tipped Klusons that I could never get used to.The Grovers are super smooth and rock solid,and their extra weight means the guitar is now perfectly balanced.If I get another LP with Klusons this would be the first mod I'd do along with an aluminium tailpiece.

lpg2a.jpg

Anyone else ditched their Klusons?

• Members
Replaced the Klusons on my LP with Grovers.

Why? Well,there was a vagueness to the plastic tipped Klusons that I could never get used to.The Grovers are super smooth and rock solid,and their extra weight means the guitar is now perfectly balanced.If I get another LP with Klusons this would be the first mod I'd do along with an aluminium tailpiece.

lpg2a.jpg

Anyone else ditched their Klusons?

Gimmi yer guitar

• Members
I thought about it a few times...do the screws use the same holes as the old tuners? I have Grovers on a bunch of guitars and quite like them but I'd hate to have extra holes in the back of the headstock of my Gibson.

Depending how accurately you ream out the hole,the bottom hole of the Klusons lines up with the Grovers.It's true that you are left with 6 little screw holes showing,but these are easy to plug and fill.

hs2.jpg

• Members

you can really feel the difference in weight? damn those must be some heavy ass tuners.

Each Kluson weighed 22g.Each Grover 42g.

Converting that to imperial,the 6 Klusons weighed 4.65 ounces.The Grovers weigh 8.88 ounces.Yes you can feel the difference!

• Members

The change from Kluson to Grovers was something that I expected to have to do when I got my LP.

However, it turned out that my LP kept real good tuning with the klusons on, so I forgot all about it :)

I'm glad I didn't now. I appreciate that the tuning is improved on a lot of LP's but I wouldn't like to have the holes showing on my guitar.

• Members

I actually like the look of the vintage style Klusons and was a bit apprehensive about changing them.My problem was the actual feel of them.There was a distinct lag from the moment I turned the key and the post actually moving.Sort of 'spongy' for want of a better term.I thought I could live with it,but it was driving me nuts!

And yes,tulips>beans! :thu:

• Members

nice. so you did have to enlarge the post hole then? i like klusons just fine, but i'm glad you're diggin' the change.

Yes the holes had to be enlarged to 10mm.The way to do it is to ream the hole from the back of the headstock,but only as deep as the 10mm sleeve on the tuner.That way the front of the headstock remains intact and it's easy to put the Klusons back on if you ever change your mind.

• Members

My Les Paul came stock with Grovers back in 1998. I prefer the look of the Klusons, but I've never had any complaints with the smooth performance of the Grovers. Not sure that I'd bother making the change, though, if mine had been a Kluson-equipped model. (I'm lazy.)

• Members

Where did you find the Grovers with keystone shaped tuning pegs, I've been looking for those! Are they nickel or chrome btw?

You can usually find them on the bay and lots of sites like Guitarpartsresource stock them.It was cheaper for me to have a set shipped from the US than to buy them in the UK! Mine are nickel.

Archived