OT: Selling on Craigslist

scolfax

• Members

I've had nothing but good experiences in having CL buyers pick up merchandise at my home. HOWEVER - it does creep me out when there's a no-show. Great, some stanger's got directions right to my door and he knows I have gear that he wants. Call me paranoid, but I always expect to hear a window breaking for the first few nights afterwards.

• Members

I have a couple of amps for sale and don't want the hassle of shipping them. One of them is *way* too heavy too, and I would hate to underestimate shipping.

So I put them on Craigslist this weekend with one no-show bite and a spam bite (my shipping company will stop by, here's a forged cashier's check for more than your asking price).

My plan is to reduce the price on each amp by $25 a week until they sell. Is that a bad idea? Anyone else do stuff like this?

I've had a really tough time selling anything on Craig's List lately but had lots of luck back in the spring months.

I think it's just that people aren't buying right now. The same is true with retail sales. Summer is always their worst time. Once people go back indoors sales will go back up.

So if you can afford to hold on to your amps you may be able to get what you want for them without getting soaked. I'd rather hold onto something for a few more months than give it away and that's what it seems the CL buyers are wanting right now. Not gonna happen.

• Members

Scanning back through this thread, it appears that people who live in states that are East of the Mississippi River feel the need to be more careful than people to the West.

Not sure if that means anything, but it's interesting.

Let's not go down this road, at least not in this thread.

• Members

So if you can afford to hold on to your amps you may be able to get what you want for them without getting soaked. I'd rather hold onto something for a few more months than give it away and that's what it seems the CL buyers are wanting right now. Not gonna happen.

Thanks, that's good advice. I'm sure my Fender will eventually sell at a fair price, but I'm a little unsure about my Ampeg. It's not a popular model so that's why I think I have to play this pricing game to find out what it's worth.

Archived