Post Pics of your Over Priced, over hyped, bad QC Les pauls

iplayanesp

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That guitar is my fav and came from a fellow forumite. I looked high and low and his found me.... They came out with a Raw Power which isn't the same. Gibson only did the Natural with all gold hardware standard for a few years. Maybe '91 - '94. They also had a Raw Power with factory EMG's I think. Sorry I don't know all there is to know about them I just play them...

• Members

Come on you weren't kidding about the QC... We Americans are hungover on Monday dying for the weekend by Wednesday (hump day) and Friday we just wanna get the hell home. So unless your guitar, car or whatever was built mostly on a Tuesday or Thursday forgetaboutit............

LOL..

• Members

Come on you weren't kidding about the QC... We Americans are hungover on Monday dying for the weekend by Wednesday (hump day) and Friday we just wanna get the hell home. So unless your guitar, car or whatever was built mostly on a Tuesday or Thursday forgetaboutit............

LOL..

hehe

• Members

I have a recent forum trifecta here:
1. 1972 Les Paul Custom. Overpriced and low quality per this thread (sarcastic I know)
2. Binding, which is ugly per another recent thread.
3. Photographed on filthy bedspread, per another thread. Apparently people who photograph their guitars on a bed don't do laundry. This was a surprise to me.
LesPaul001bodysmall.jpg

I love my guitar, the binding and my clean bedspread!

• Members
...I have always wanted an LP and If I dont get one It will always bug me, its the ultimate guitar Imho and I want one. I dont feel any guitar is worth $2000 but thats what they charge for them so thats what im gunna have to pay if i want one...

Some guitars are definitely worth $2000 or more. I doubt that I would pay that for a Gibson though, considering the various options for that kind of money.

Visit the Hot Deals thread. Some people got their Les Paul Classic Antique guitars for $800, when the regular sale price was close to $2000 IIRC. I think I paid $1000 for mine.
More recently there was a Les Paul Standard for $1700, but that had a $500 rebate so in the end it was $1200.

Also, recently there was a brand new Les Paul Standard Faded on eBay for $1250. I was tempted, but I have a self-imposed limit of $1200 for a Gibson :)

And a few years ago I almost bought a Studio Plus for $750, also new. That one played and sounded better than the Standard and Custom I played that day. I wish I had bought that one.

Which reminds me of the Vintage Mahogany. I saw them for $560 brand new last year. If you want a USA-made Gibson that could be an option, but they're more expensive now. I understand that there are some nice ones out there. Based on the ones I played I bought a Yamaha instead :)

• Members
I have a recent forum trifecta here:

1. 1972 Les Paul Custom. Overpriced and low quality per this thread (sarcastic I know)

2. Binding, which is ugly per another recent thread.

3. Photographed on filthy bedspread, per another thread. Apparently people who photograph their guitars on a bed don't do laundry. This was a surprise to me.

LesPaul001bodysmall.jpg

I love my guitar, the binding and my clean bedspread!

:love:

• Members

Ok I know the thread was sarcastic, and I'm new here, but every time I hear somebody talk about the crappy QC at Gibson it's always a second hand story that a friend told them about a buddy they once had. I'm sure that occasionally some stinkers get out of the factory, I have worked in manufacturing for a long time I know this happens at every factory, but I have never had a problem with any Gibson that I have owned.

Is it just me?

• Members
Ok I know the thread was sarcastic, and I'm new here, but every time I hear somebody talk about the crappy QC at Gibson it's always a second hand story that a friend told them about a buddy they once had. I'm sure that occasionally some stinkers get out of the factory, I have worked in manufacturing for a long time I know this happens at every factory, but I have never had a problem with any Gibson that I have owned.

Is it just me?

The ones I posted (page 3 I think) were first-hand experiences with 2 brand new Gibsons I purchased.
I've read other stories also from Gibson owners regarding flaws in their guitars, including some Historics IIRC. At The Gear Page people have posted detailed pictures of these quality issues.
Not all are bad guitars, but their quality is certainly inconsistent. You may find stories here about the 2 guitars I had, since others bought the same guitars. The variability in terms of quality was considerable.

I don't recall experiencing these issues with other brands, except maybe 2 Korean Washburns I had which had some very minor cosmetic flaws. The Gibsons cost around $2000 more, though.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of Gibson guitar's have flaws, given the thousands of guitars they make. Still, I'm almost certain that they don't have a Six Sigma or Kaizen approach to their process :)

• Members
The ones I posted (page 3 I think) were first-hand experiences with 2 brand new Gibsons I purchased.

I've read other stories also from Gibson owners regarding flaws in their guitars, including some Historics IIRC. At The Gear Page people have posted detailed pictures of these quality issues.

Not all are bad guitars, but their quality is certainly inconsistent. You may find stories here about the 2 guitars I had, since others bought the same guitars. The variability in terms of quality was considerable.

I don't recall experiencing these issues with other brands, except maybe 2 Korean Washburns I had which had some very minor cosmetic flaws. The Gibsons cost around $2000 more, though.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of Gibson guitar's have flaws, given the thousands of guitars they make. Still, I'm almost certain that they don't have a Six Sigma or Kaizen approach to their process
:)

I was just curious. A few guitarists I know are always giving me crap for playing only Gibsons, and always citing things they have read about their QC without actually experiencing it themselves. I was just wondering if it was actually as widespread as people make it out to be. Having worked in manufacturing I understand why U.S. manufacturing has been moving downhill. and I quote Office Space...

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?
Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.
Bob Slydell: Eight?
Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

• Members
I was just curious. A few guitarists I know are always giving me crap for playing only Gibsons, and always citing things they have read about their QC without actually experiencing it themselves. I was just wondering if it was actually as widespread as people make it out to be. Having worked in manufacturing I understand why U.S. manufacturing has been moving downhill. and I quote Office Space...

Great movie :thu:
You made me think of Michael Bolton :D

A good friend plays Gibsons mostly. Nothing wrong with that. I've played one of his Les Pauls and it is an incredible instrument. I wouldn't mind having that one :)
I have not found a Gibson for me, and each time I try to buy one I end up with something else. Although the ones that I owned had QC problems, my biggest let down regarding Gibson may be that many of the ones I've wanted to buy were overpriced compared to alternatives and uninspiring.
But the good ones are really good!

One that was great was a Studio Plus (I think that was the name) that I almost bought for $750 brand new. Played and sounded better than the Standard and the Custom I played that day.

If you have the time, check out the Gibson factory tour on YouTube. There are a few tours of the factory. In contrast, check the Hamer factory tour. Gibson produces thousands of guitars a year, while Hamer produces maybe hundreds.

And interestingly enough, the guitars that I have prefered instead of Gibson owe a lot to Gibson. For example, Gene Baker used to work for Gibson, along with Roger Giffin. And the Hamer guys were HUGE Gibson fans. From an interview with Jol Dantzig:

"We were Gibson fanatics. We were also Fender fanatics, too, but mainly Gibson. We were into vintage guitars back when they weren't " vintage" guitars. Nobody called them "vintage" guitars {we called them "vintage" guitars} but everywhere you would go to find them, they would be called "used" guitars! A Les Paul Sunburst was only twelve years old. We recognized that they were better than what Gibson was making at the time in the `70s, but Gibson didn't."

Full interview:
http://www.hamerfanclub.com/jolspeaks.html

Archived