Zep reunion tomorrow

scud133

• Members

I think you've hit the nail on the head - simply using the name "Led Zeppelin" completely changes people's perceptions, and thus it becomes a big deal. As for JPJ... I doubt that most people really care who is playing the bass. (flame away, I'm a bass player, so nyah!)

:p

No, John Paul Jones was/is an integral part of Led Zeppelin, and just about any Zeppelin fan realizes that. Songwriting, orchestrating, riffs, playing keyboards and mandolin and acoustic guitar, obviously bass, lockin' in with Bonham, the whole bit. Zeppelin was absolutely a four-legged table, and Bonham Senior is sorely missed. People do care, especially where someone as insanely talented as JPJ is concerned.

• Members

No, John Paul Jones was/is an integral part of Led Zeppelin, and just about any Zeppelin fan realizes that. Songwriting, orchestrating, riffs, playing keyboards and mandolin and acoustic guitar, obviously bass, lockin' in with Bonham, the whole bit. Zeppelin was absolutely a four-legged table, and Bonham Senior is sorely missed. People do care, especially where someone as insanely talented as JPJ is concerned.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I was merely speculating as to whether the general masses of the idiotic public actually cared about JPJ and Bonham, Jr, or are they simply having a Pavlovian response when they heard the "Led Zeppelin" was gonna play.

KnowwhatImean?

:confused:

• Members

I'd say that not only all this is true, but also that if the people had the real LZ on stage and not a simple Page-Plant thing it's probably because of that unique feel and drive of the rhythm section that only JPJ could testify and impress to the whole set, being the reference for Bonham Jr. to get the songs as they should.

• Members

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I was merely speculating as to whether the general masses of the idiotic public actually cared about JPJ and Bonham, Jr, or are they simply having a Pavlovian response when they heard the "Led Zeppelin" was gonna play.

KnowwhatImean?

I don't think the public is quite as idiotic as people make them out to be when it comes to music (when it comes to voting...well, oooops, wrong forum! :D ). But you look at high school kids, and you realize that they know the difference in quality between Led Zeppelin (and a lot of other classic rock acts) and what's going on now. I truly think that people are hungry to see quality acts. Not everyone, obviously, but a LOT of people. And those people realize that Page/Plant are not Led Zeppelin because they're missing half of the band. THAT, I believe, is the excitement...that this is as close to the original line-up of LZ as it's going to get. You got his son drumming. It's close enough.

I don't understand large corporations. Do they NOT realize that people want music with substance and quality? There's evidence everywhere. People between 18-24 are the ones who keep buying or downloading Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Floyd, SRV, AC/DC, etc. and wearing their t-shirts. What a no-brainer. You ask them, and they say, "Because they're great. It's the real thing." Duh. Who do you think is keeping "Dark Side of the Moon" on the charts year after year? It's not baby-boomers. They already have the album.

And it's the same thing with movies. Mega-corporations put out "Charlie's Angels III" or some {censored}, and it costs them $300 million bucks to make and millions more to promote and whine that people aren't going out to see movies and point the finger at people downloading their films on the internet. What bull{censored}. Who wants to gum up their hard drive with that crap? A smaller company makes a clever film like "Sideways" and it totally cleans up at the box office.

Maybe...just maybe...people aren't quite as stupid as these marketing people might believe.

• Members

Good Times Bad Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsHcUwtw5H0&NR=1

Song Remains the same http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KmqiUSX1jw

Stairway to Heaven http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G_JTMuHOQk

Stairway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu-Zo769pGw

Whole Lotta Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE_azOraU34

Ramble on

Kashmir

Kashmir

Some are already being pulled.

• Members

KnowwhatImean?

Sort of, but who cares? The Page/Plant tour was freakin awesome. It sounds like the Zep reunion was freakin awesome. They were both a big deal, so I'm not going to ask "what's the big deal?" If somebody missed out on the Page/Plant tour because it wasn't called "Led Zeppelin," it's their loss. It doesn't make the Zep reunion any less of a big deal, though. I wish JPJ had been on the 90's tour, I do think he was an integral part of the band and it's great he's there now.

• Members

Sort of, but who cares? The Page/Plant tour was freakin awesome.

Well, it's not like I'm losing any sleep over the question... :p

It's the high ticket prices that got me to thinking - I don't recall people paying thousands of dollars for the Page/Plant thing like they did for the Zep show.

• Moderators

Lowering the bar...

I always thought Sammy Hagar was good at this. I remember Montrose after Ronnie Montrose left Edgar Winter's band. And there was Sammy mucking it up. Cool riffs and tunes on the first Montrose album but that guy at the mic? Stop making that sound, would ya? And you know what else he's done...

And that whole red pants and guitar schtick is pretty silly. Although he does know his tequila.

• Members

Well, it's not like I'm losing any sleep over the question...
:p

It's the high ticket prices that got me to thinking - I don't recall people paying thousands of dollars for the Page/Plant thing like they did for the Zep show.

Well, first of all, you're comparing a Zeppelin one-off after 20-something years to a whole coliseum tour.

Second of all, it's many years later and things are much more expensive.

Third of all, it's Led Zeppelin. :D

• Members

There's evidence everywhere. People between 18-24 are the ones who keep buying or downloading Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Floyd, SRV, AC/DC, etc. and wearing their t-shirts. What a no-brainer. You ask them, and they say, "Because they're great. It's the real thing." Duh. Who do you think is keeping "Dark Side of the Moon" on the charts year after year? It's not baby-boomers.

**The Gospel Truth**

It amazes me how much this is true for both guys & girls in high school and college. They like their pop and mordern/fake "rap" for parties, but private listening puts those legit, older bands in heavy rotation

Also I never see Britney shirts --- but I see a crapload of Beatles, Zep, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Floyd, etc shirts

• Members

Zep plays like the soundtrack to my early teen years. I can't hear some of those songs without being transported back. Cool to see it's still happening with them.

Well if they tour, it'll be the ticket prices that will keep me from seeing them play. Bummer too, I'd like my son to see them.

The thing is, with giant screens above the stage, you really spend most of your time watching a live video of the band. So why not just buy the damn DVD when it comes out and enjoy it at home? Not quite the concert experience (both good and bad), but for pennies compared to the ticket price, it's a fair trade-off.

• Members

**The Gospel Truth**

It amazes me how much this is true for both guys & girls in high school and college. They like their pop and mordern/fake "rap" for parties, but private listening puts those legit, older bands in heavy rotation

Also I never see Britney shirts --- but I see a crapload of Beatles, Zep, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Floyd, etc shirts

Anybody who works with kids will know that this is true. One guy said that at his high school, he estimates that at least half of the kids there listen to classic rock.

Adults who are out of touch with kids don't understand this. You can always spot the adults who are out of touch with kids, because they'll spout things like "Kids only listen that rap {censored}" or whatever. It's completely false.

After one of our gigs, the sound guy put on "Breakdown" by Tom Petty. A whole bunch of kids 18-21 started goofing around, dancing to it and singing the words. This is not an anomaly, either, but whatever.

When I was a kid, adults were always selling us short. They always assumed that we didn't know anything. A bunch of us in high school were listening to old stuff, too...we were all into Coltrane, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Blue Cheer, Led Zeppelin, Stones, AC/DC, Marley, Ornette Coleman, Velvet Underground, The Doors, all sorts of cool older stuff. We'd shout out requests at the local bar for Kingston Trio songs, sing the words, whatever. But for adults, they just assumed that we listened to nothing but New Wave and Michael Jackson or the Go-Gos. Yeah, we listened to that too. That was some good stuff, good catchy stuff. Adults figured we just watched John Hughes movies and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and thought we were stupid.

And so it continues. People get older, assume kids are stupid, assume that they don't know about music that came before, assume that they listen to only rap, whatever. They're just out of touch with kids.

This is the truth. I am a teacher. I come in contact with probably about 150 high school kids a year. They're listening to more stuff than people will ever realize, and now that everyone's trading and downloading MP3s, it's even wider than ever before.

**GOSPEL TRUTH** indeed... :D

Archived