Ike Turner died?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I listened to "River Deep, Mountain High" today. For an early birthday gift, a few people at work got me a Phil Spector two-CD set (the one with the Christmas disc as the second disc).

Anyway, woman's got some pipes, y'know? Fun song anyway. Tina's belting away, and the Phil Spector Wall of Sound is this amorphous, reverby blur. So gorgeous. So right.

Oh yeah! Total Spector devot

• Moderators

My band in the 80's was managed by Roger Davies, Tina's manager. If you've seen the TV bio on Tina, Roger is depicted in the movie as Tina's right hand man. The main male character in the movie. That's our old manager. We signed with him right as Tina was being reborn, just as Davies had done a couple years before with Olivia Newton-John with her Physical rebirth.

We opened some Tina shows... she was packing 1000 seaters with die hard fans consisting mostly affluent African Americans. Soon she would packing the large venues as What's Love Got To Do With It broke...

In that circle... you didn't mention Ike. A naive question like, "What's he like?" was greeted with harsh stares saying "Don't go there." They did not want their ride of fame tainted by even a mention of him.

Then I saw him sit in at a blues bar gig as I mention earlier in this thread. No devil horns. An extremely fit and good looking man that I would have guessed was in his early fifties. In fact he was in his mid seventies. He wore a huge smile like a kid and pounded the piano into oblivion. He struck me as a changed man. Clean and sober and at ease with the past. He stayed the whole night and watched Pinetop Perkins and Kim Wilson and smiled the whole time. Chatted with the crowd. Always smiling and polite...

• Members

Then I saw him sit in at a blues bar gig as I mention earlier in this thread. No devil horns. An extremely fit and good looking man that I would have guessed was in his early fifties. In fact he was in his mid seventies. He wore a huge smile like a kid and pounded the piano into oblivion. He struck me as a changed man. Clean and sober and at ease with the past. He stayed the whole night and watched Pinetop Perkins and Kim Wilson and smiled the whole time. Chatted with the crowd. Always smiling and polite...

It's ok in life to fight off your personal demons and make a life change. The problem is that you don't get forgiven for your past discretions. There are some things that are rather unforgiveable such as wife beating but I was never there during their fights and I think I'll give most anyone the benefit of the doubt.

RIP Ike. Most everyone deserves peace.

• Members

Ellie Greenwich, in my interview with her, declined to speak about Spector. Even though they wrote/produced hit-after-hit-after-hit together in the 60's.

I couldn't tell whether she was holding her tongue just to be polite..... or wanted the interview to be just about her, not the other players in that scene...... or whether she wanted to avoid Spector's vituperative litigiousness, for which he is apparently famous.

Probably a bit of all three.

Archived