should i get a gibson?

cuban_b

• Members

it sounds like a dumb question but i've heard that their quality has gone down in recent years.

i want a les paul but i don't want to fork over $2000-3000 and get something that isn't worth that much. what's a good les paul (year, model) to seek out? i like playing metal and aggressive music in general and don't want to sound bad.

• Members

i heard the 2007 les paul standards weren't that good at all.

i won't lie i don't have such a trained ear as other gear heads do. i just don't want to waste money on an obvious (not to me) sub par les paul.

are the customs worth while still?

• Members

i, personally, don't like the playability of the customs.

i'd really, really recommend playing a traditional and seeing what you think. good LP weight, great neck profile (for me), plek'd, and cheaper than the standards. i can't speak for the new standards, as i haven't played one, but i'd like to see how they feel.

• Members

It comes back to the feel and the specific guitar -- I was looking at Les Pauls and found that there were Epiphone Les Pauls that felt/sounded better than Gibson versions. That said, I ultimately broke my cardinal rule not to buy without laying hands on, but I got a Gibson ES-339 and was thankful that the finish/workmanship were great and the set up was really decent right out of the box.

• Members
I sold a 2007 LP Standard. It wasn't great at all and I didn't care for the chambered body. An LP should not be lighter than a strat!

I totally agree. This is why when i made the decision to get a Lester I looked for the older heavier models. Mine ways in at nearly 10lbs. It also has the 50's neck which I am really liking.

Just feels really solid and the tone is :love:

• Members

I had an '04 Standard in Root Beer. The guitar itself was nice, but I had to get some work on the nut done. I had previously ordered in the same guitar in Amber, but the nut grooves were cut so deep that the strings were literally sitting on the 1st fret. No good. The 2nd one was better, but still needed work done on the G string groove.

It was very heavy, as well. Its been the only guitar I've owned out of about 10 that has hurt my shoulder after a lengthy jam. If the new Traditionals are lighter and have better QC, I would definitely say to go with one!

• Members
Check out used studio prices. The seem to range from $500 - $800, depending on certain factors.

Agree. Cut your teeth on an old studio - I would say up to about the early/mid '90s. You can get an old studio standard for under a grand, with case. They are fantastic guitars and won't break the bank. Even the studio lites (w/hot ceramic pickups) are great, affordable guitars.

Of course if you want to drop the cash for a used standard or a new traditional go for it. Personally, I would rather have 2 vintage studios and enough $$$ leftover to grab a decent amp. Just sayin'......:idk:

• Members

I will probably never buy another new Gibson. They are just too expensive, and there are lots of good used ones for sale. Finding a good used Les Paul or ES335 is for another discussion, but there are plenty of shops that cater to high end buyers, and they tend to get trade-ins from well heeled patrons that have little playing time. The best part is that you can usually get them for $1000 less than the comparable new model.

I don't buy into the hype surrounding "new improved 2008 model..." There are plenty of great Les Pauls--Standards and Classics--from the 90's and early 00's when Gibson was still making them with one piece mahogany bodies.

Musician's Friend had this guitar listed at $3500 a year ago. I bought this one for $2000. It was two years old, but it had never been played. It came with all of the papers and case candy:

r4a.jpg

• Members
Agree. Cut your teeth on an old studio - I would say up to about the early/mid '90s. You can get an old studio standard for under a grand, with case. They are fantastic guitars and won't break the bank. Even the studio lites (w/hot ceramic pickups) are great, affordable guitars.

Of course if you want to drop the cash for a used standard or a new traditional go for it. Personally, I would rather have 2 vintage studios and enough $$$ leftover to grab a decent amp. Just sayin'......
:idk:

hmm that makes more sense. i might just do that and save some cash so my girlfriend doesn't kill me. the only thing is that the studios have a really fat neck and i feel like i'm playing a baseball bat. i'll test drive a couple more.

Archived