Tele vs. Les Paul..what to do..what to do?

streetknight

• Members

Here's my situation. I'm gonna thin the heard some.

I always thought every collection should have a Strat, Tele, LP, and a hollowbody.

I have Strats covered. I have a Gibson LP Studio DC and a Michael Kelly Patriot Black. I actually like the MK a lot better than the Gibson. I Don't own a Tele. I've been letting a friend borrow the Gibby for the last few months. I've only played it twice. He has several USA Tele's. I was thinking of trying to work a trade since he likes the LP so much.

Should I try to do a trade? or Keep the Gibby to have a Gibby and save up for a Tele. I'm leaning toward trading and then saving up for a semi-hollow.

Which would you do, saying you'll mostly be playing classic rock and blues stuff?

Thanks

• Members

The Tele may be very tempting right now, but how much would it cost to replace the Gibson (vs just saving for a tele), if you started regretting the trade.. down the line.

On the other hand, if you are pretty sure that your love of the Gibson is a thing of the past, moving on might be the right thing to do. I tend to go back and forth with Teles and Gibsons (LPs) as to which I really enjoy playing, so be sure that this is a permanent loss of interest in the Gibson as opposed to a temporary shift of preferences.

Saving for the tele might take some time, but if you are willing to wait, you will still have the Gibson AND get your tele.

Either way. Good luck.

• Members

If he's willing, trade it. Especially if you didn't gel with it.

This.

If that fails, sell the Gibson and buy a nice Tele.

Also, don't buy guitars just based on the "recommended collection." That's bull{censored}. You don't like the Gibson, so sell it and get something you want. If you want a Tele, great. Get one. If you're just buying a Tele for the sake of having one, then figure out what you actually want, rather than going by a list of what other people think you should want.

• Members

This.

If that fails, sell the Gibson and buy a nice Tele.

Also, don't buy guitars just based on the "recommended collection." That's bull{censored}. You don't like the Gibson, so sell it and get something you want. If you want a Tele, great. Get one. If you're just buying a Tele for the sake of having one, then figure out what you actually want, rather than going by a list of what other people think you should want.

I couldn't agree more. Buy what you like and get rid of what you don't. I guess if you are buying for the sole reason of collecting than having one of each would be nice, but I would rather turn that around and buy something I'm gonna play.

• Members

I couldn't agree more. Buy what you like and get rid of what you don't. I guess if you are buying for the sole reason of collecting than having one of each would be nice, but I would rather turn that around and buy something I'm gonna play.

Exactly. Buy what you like, and what you'll actually play. Don't just buy something to fill a list. That list won't work for everyone.

• Members

What do you WANT to do?
I personally like my Tele more than my LP but as someone else mentioned, you may want to hold on to your Gibson and save for a tele. There will always be a telecaster for you, but if your Gibby is a nice one, you may be hard pressed to find another nice one you can afford. You can always sell a guitar later on for a hollowbody. There's no rush, is there?
On the other hand, sell everything and grab a Tele AND a hollowbody.
What do you WANT to do?

• Members

Thanks everyone. I actually took the Gibby on a trade deal. I was torn between a standard LP and a SG, and this is double cut with 498/490 pups with 24 frets. Seemed like the best of both worlds. The MK just has so much more tonal range and more resonant unplugged.

As far as the Tele, I've been trying to find one I liked for a long time, but His is the only one I've ever played that I just loved. That's why I thought about trading.

• Members

Speaking as a happy Gibson owner myself...

Guitars are for PLAYING!

If the MK does it for you, sell the Gibby to your buddy and go get the Tele you want. Put it in the hands of a friend who will rock out on it.

If any guitar of mine goes for a month without being used, it's gone. A guitar that doesn't get played is just tacky wall art.

• Members

Is that an American Standard Tele? They were toploaders back then? That'd be a dealbreaker for me. What other Tele's does he have? I'd spring for something with a string-through bridge for sure.

But regardless, I'd definitely do the trade, unless it's a really uneven trade in his favor. You've already got an LP style guitar that you prefer over the Gibson, so why even keep the Gibson at all?

• Members

Is that an American Standard Tele? They were toploaders back then? That'd be a dealbreaker for me. What other Tele's does he have? I'd spring for something with a string-through bridge for sure.

But regardless, I'd definitely do the trade, unless it's a really uneven trade in his favor. You've already got an LP style guitar that you prefer over the Gibson, so why even keep the Gibson at all?

I didn't even notice it being a toploader till you said something. Been having too much fun playing it. As far as other Tele's, his other one I do like the looks of better. It's a 96' model, mint green, maple neck, with white pearloid guard. It's cool. I might inquire about it. Anyway, I'm gonna spend some quality time with the one I have and decide if I want a Tele for sure.

• Members

Pffft...everybody knows a collection should have a Dean, a Flying V, an Explorer, a Jem, and a Wangcaster.

Sorry, but when I think of iconic guitar players, they usually have one signature guitar....Angus=SG, Jimi=Strat, SRV=Strat, Keef=Tele, BB King=Lucille, etc etc.

Screw the "gotta have XXXX to have a collection" mentality. Find one guitar you bond with, and play the crap out of it. Unless, of course, you're more of a collector than player....:poke:

Archived