Rare SGs

eflat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not one of the models you asked for but I have yet to see one like this:

isnt that just a standard?

and to the comment below, thanks, i have checked that site out many a time, but it only has one pic of each guitar!

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

rare as in those models that were not all that popular when released??
:p

:D :D

So true!

From Gruhns Guide......

SG90: available 1988-90. 1 humbucker or 1 humbucker with slanted single coil in neck position(SG90 Double). Locking trem optional, or strings through body, pearloid pickguard, split diamond inlay, crown inlay on peghead. 2 knobs, push/pull for coil tap, 3 way selector switch.

SGZ: available 1998 only. 1 stacked coil and 1 standard humbucker, 2 kobs with selector switch between them. tom bridge with z shaped tailpiece, strings through body, small pickguard, bound rosewood fingerboard with split diamond inlay, 3 piece reverse z peghead inlay, black chrome hardware.

• Members

I don't know how rare they are, but they're certainly not the most commonly seen models.

The white is a SG Special II, mahogany neck and body, ebony fretboard.

The red is a 1969 that came originaly with stereo outputs.

2sg.jpg

• Members

I think Ravelleman might be right. It looks like a korina SG with a bright light on it... but it's hard to say for sure.

You can find korina SG's on Ebay on a rairly regular basis, but the asking prices are usually too high, so they don't sell.

I've seen one guy re-Ebay the same Gibson korina SG at least 3 times and he still hasn't sold it.

Here's one with zero bids...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-1993-SG-Korina-Limited-Edition-Guitar-VG-NR-L-K_W0QQitemZ7340291371QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Originally posted by Buck62

I think Ravelleman might be right. It looks like a korina SG with a bright light on it... but it's hard to say for sure.

You can find korina SG's on Ebay on a rairly regular basis, but the asking prices are usually too high, so they don't sell.

I've seen one guy re-Ebay the same Gibson korina SG at least 3 times and he
still
hasn't sold it.

Here's one with zero bids...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-1993-SG-Korina-Limited-Edition-Guitar-VG-NR-L-K_W0QQitemZ7340291371QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No, I was right.

This is a Gibson SG Korina....

sgkorina.jpg

And this is an Epi Korina SG...

korina1.jpg

Gibson's are always natural finished, Epi's are more "blonde," perhaps they bleach to hide their veneered tops and backs.

But according to everythingSG, this is a 2000 mahogany '61 RI in TV Yellow (the file is even called SG-TVYellow.jpg)...

SG-TVYellow.jpg

TV Yellow is one of my favorite finishes when done right. It is one I can recognize.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

No,
I
was right.

This is a Gibson SG Korina....

sgkorina.jpg

And this is an Epi Korina SG...

korina1.jpg

Gibson's are always natural finished, Epi's are more "blonde," perhaps they bleach to hide their veneered tops and backs.

But according to everythingSG, this is a 2000 mahogany '61 RI in TV Yellow (the file is even called SG-TVYellow.jpg)...

SG-TVYellow.jpg

TV Yellow is one of my favorite finishes when done right. It is one I can recognize.

-Y.

+1. That big mustardy SG is def'ly TVY.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Ravelleman

College boys! *
Shakes fist

You're right though. It's definitely not Korina.

You all made me look twice.

That TV Yellow SG in the pic is a perfect finishing job. Many TV Yellow guitars are too opaque and solid looking.

-Y.

• Members

indeed...its the CS TV yellow Standard with that more see through finish they have been doing some of the CS TV yellows and whites in over the past couple of years. Either way, it's a cool guitar and I wouldn't turn down that or a Korina SG if someone gave one to me :)

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

I don't know how rare they are, but they're certainly not the most commonly seen models.

The white is a SG Special II, mahogany neck and body, ebony fretboard.

The red is a 1969 that came originaly with stereo outputs.

2sg.jpg

Lots of the Specials around, but I have not seen many with the gold hardware. that one is pretty sharp! My first SG was one of those in Ferarri Red with chrome hardware.

The cherry finished one appears to be from a bit later than 1969. The large headstock, and the big plastic control plate indicate a seventies model. It also seems to have no bevels in the cutaways, which is also a giveaway that is is a seventies model. It appears to be an SG Deluxe(1971-1972 16 shipped 1973-1974)), but I have only seen them with LP type pickguards, and have never heard of a stock SG with stereo wiring(checked a couple of books even). Perhaps it was a special order, in which case it would be a rarity.

• Members

Originally posted by Buck62

Originally posted by Wyatt

No,
I
was right.

-Y.

I said "might be" and "it's hard to say for sure."

It's hard to tell because we all have different monitors and the lighting of the original picture can change a color drastically.

Don't git yur undies in a bunch! :D

Archived