what does SG stand for??

fuzzylogic220

• Members

IIRC...

Telecaster was a replacement for the original name, Broadcaster, since a drumset by another company (Gretsch?) already had the Broadcaster name patented. This was the '50s and they were fascinated with the new gadget called television everyone was hawking about. (As for me, I still think television is just a fad that will pass, like the hula-hoop and pet rocks).

Stratocaster comes from the next cool fascination of the late '50s and early 60s, spaceflight. Rockets fly way up there in the stratosphere, so keeping the caster from "Broadcaster" and "Telecaster" gives a way cool, far out sounding name.

• Members

Telecaster was originally called Broadcaster, probably because of Leo Fenders roots in radio repair, but Gretsch had a line of drums named Broadkaster, so Fender changed the name to Telecaster, which came from the new age of television broadcasting in the '50s.

Stratocaster IIRC comes from 'stratosphere'. Leo wanted it to sound futuristic.

• Members

Where does the "no-caster" name come from? I know the answer but I'll let someone else answer.

The "nocaster" was the transitional model between the broadcaster and the tele. I think they just snipped the word "broadcaster" off the headstock decal.

• Members
Where does the "no-caster" name come from? I know the answer but I'll let someone else answer.

Don't know about the 'no-caster'. But while we're on the subject of '..casters' --and purely just for fun--don't forget the 'wangcaster' :) !

It was originally derived from a Stratocaster.

http://www.guitaristka.ru/DRUGOE/guitars/carverdoug/wangcaster.htm

• Members

23 posts on the OP's thread title question.... and to those who answered it...

...I THINK YER ALL WRONG!

I'm pretty sure SG stands for Standard Gibson ....right?? ...anyone?? From the dusty depths of my brain, I do recall hearing a story that Les Paul was pissed off about his name going on a guitar who's design he did not approve of bearing his name. As I recall, this happened right after the SG was introduced around 1961-62.

NOW, maybe I'm wrong on that count or BOTH counts. Somebody who really knows will eventually come along and correct me (as has happened on occasion here).

... but that to me is part of the fun of posting here on HCEG.

(waits for flaming to begin) :snax:

Archived