Why do Teles have higher resale values than Strats?

jaxn slim

• Members
Because tele's kick more ass?
:cop:

Haha I wonder. Where are you getting your info from, anywhere other than CL? I always thought strats were more popular (outside this forum) so wouldn't that make people willing to spend more to get one?

yes but there's more of them more people trying to sell and competing each other and the price gets lower
the tele is in a way rare and worth more money there might be one on craigslist when there are 9 strats

• Members

I always wondered about this myself.

I guess Tele's just have a certain cache, even though I'm sure more Strat's are sold.

My theory, backed-up by at least a little evidence, is that guitar players generally shun new stuff. The more traditional the better--even if there are technical improvements in newer designs.

Look at designs like the Steinberger, and other possibly superior, but non-traditional guitars that even after a couple of decades on the market are still viewed as odd.

I can't really disagree with Tele lovers, since the only guitar I own (at this particular time) is a Tele.

• Members

because there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more strats out there than tele's. i mean, seriously, everyone and their dog makes a strat copy or a super strat copy.

the market is saturated.

In my not-so-humble opinion, it's not just Tele guitars vs. Strat guitars in value. In some cases, it extends to Tele vs. Strat parts... and not necessarily used stuff either.

Case in point; I bought two NEW Strat bodies on eBay LOADED with all hardware, p.u.'s and nice finishes. $35 for the 1st one and $45 for the second one. I barely spent more than 10 minutes digging up either deal.

$80 TOTAL SPENT FOR TWO STRAT BODIES LOADED & DELIVERED.

One Tele body of similar wood and quality to the two Strat bod's and NEW with NO hardware plus a decent finish. After SCOURING eBay off and on for weeks, I finally found one for:

$72 FOR ONE TELE BODY W/ NO HARDWARE DELIVERED.

Nuff' said.

• Members

Forget resale value... why does Fender sell strats and teles for the same price? It's more expensive to build a strat.... more parts, more body shaping.

Actually, with all the CNC routing they do, there's probably not much of a difference in the cost of manufacture. New Strats are priced the same as new Teles.

Archived