OT: Any Bagpipers here?

FUBTAG

• Members

I start learning the bagpipes next week... first lesson on Tuesday. It's a group lesson setting given by the local pipe and drum marching band ("Glor Na nGael") .. It's something I have wanted to do for years and this seems like a great opportunity. I was just wondering if anyone here plays them .. and if you're too embarrassed, PM me.... :cop:

oh yeah -- pics to follow (kilts are cool! ....)

• Members

LOVE the freakin' pipes! :love: Of course, my 1/2 Scottish lineage may have something to do with it ....

I tried to play the pipes once. Couldn't get so much as a squawk of of 'em. I was deeply disappointed in myself that day. :cry:

You'll do great Fubtag! Will be looking for a full report after your first lesson.

• Members

Fubtag:

Good Luck with the lessons and thank you for for helping me remember some great memories.

My father loved the bagpipes (being Scottish) and he would sit on the front porch of his house in the evening while the neighbor practiced on his bagpipes. I actually have a couple of CD's that I bought for him of bagpipe music. I'll have to find them.

I'm sure most of the neighbors hated it, but for my father, he was in heaven. That was his hour of pure solitude.

And yes it rubbed off on me, I enjoy it when ever I hear bagpipes a pipin'.

Thank you

• Members

I have a friend who's a world class piper. Had to make him go out in the yard to play his highland pipes one time; the living room was a bit too "intimate." Believe it or not, there's a market. Weddings, parades, and highland festivals are a given, but he also enjoys a nicely varied career performing and recording with a number of headline acts.

• Members

If it's Glor n nGael, you sure you aint gonna be learnin the Uileann pipes?

Will you be using your mouth or arm to inflate?

I was wondering about that, too. However, Ireland does have a bagpiping tradition - here, the bagpipes were called Great Irish War Pipes, or just War Pipes. As the name suggests, they were played in battle, while the Uileann pipes were used in more sedate settings. Both fantastic instruments, but my preference is for the Uileann variety - they're slightly more refined.

• Members

what does a good set of pipes cost? where would you even look to buy them?

thats an instrument i would love to learn to play

For a very good set of pipes, you're looking at anything from 2 to 10 grand, or maybe more. Usually, you contact a teacher, who sets you up with a practice set, or even just with a chanter. Then he would suggest a maker, who would work with you and take account of your requirements.

• Moderators

I was wondering about that, too. However, Ireland does have a bagpiping tradition - here, the bagpipes were called Great Irish War Pipes, or just War Pipes. As the name suggests, they were played in battle, while the Uileann pipes were used in more sedate settings. Both fantastic instruments, but my preference is for the Uileann variety - they're slightly more refined.

Infinitely more civilised, like a caress of the brow as opposed some big fat chick yankin yer cock off:eek:

• Members

Definitely bagpipe even though it is an irish named group.... as you really can't march (I don't think) with Uileann pipes. I am hoping that I can translate what I learn on the bagpipes eventually to uileann pipe.

The costs will be up there... I don't think there is a GF-styled company making decent grade bagpipes. Ebay is FULL of chanter and pipe crap... but you also have to include the 'uniform' kilt/jacket etc.... and man -- I am gonna be poor again. But hopefully put everything to good use...

• Members

man i love the sound of bagpipes, Scottish style or Irish ones ....must be cause im canadian eh.. :)

hope you got neighbours who love em too...cause they are loud ....theres a club a few blocks away from my house and when i drive by on my bike i can hear them inside practising ...vey nice sound when you hear it live and yes very loud..lol..

nothing that stirs the soul more than the sound of a well played bagpipe,,,and nothing more irritating than a beginner palying bagpipes badly, yes i can hear that as well when i drive past that club...may the good lord have mercy on your neighbours...LOL..and hopefully you dont live in a semi-detached house or an apartment....ouch.. :lol:

all joking aside , best of luck with your endeavour, sounds like lots of fun.. ;)

if this video dont make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end then youd better check to see if you even have a pulse..

a great modern classic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc_Z7mmKzWk

who says you cant improvise on a bit of tradition and have fun

a tune many Canadians are very familiar with :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hZUZCoMKxA%20&fmt=6

for a finale , maybe the best version ive heard ..but you gotta turn your volume up alot for it to come through good.

cheers:)

• Members

^^ watching this stuff now -- thanks for the link...

I actually found a link to the Air Force Pipe Band and they sound amazing

http://www.af.mil/library/band/bagpipes.asp

I work in an area that I can actually go practice at lunch without fear of bothering people. OK -- it's along a main road and people will see me... but playing on full pipes won't happen till January probably. Chanter for around 6 months (though I am a fast learner.. :thu:).. it gives me something to do during my lunch hour ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I noticed that they have some here that are under $500...are any of these worth getting? Because I would really like to get into bagpipes as well. Also, how hard are they to learn if you're already good at playing the guitar and tin whistle? Would I absolutely have to take lessons, or could I possibly figure them out myself with a DVD or 3?

Archived