Weird Thing About Rosewood vs. Maple fingerboards on Strats

goldenhose

• Members

+1 on maple for strat. I keep getting info from ppl around me telling me rosewood fingerboard will get u deeper, darker tone while maple u get brighter tone(about 5% to your overall tone). And I'm having difficulty hearing the difference, my conclusion is that most of the ppl with "undeveloped ears" pick maple/rosewood only for the look on their strat but not the tone difference.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wow, it seemd like every pic an video of rb and jb they always had a rosewood strat

Richie blackmoore's 2 favorite strats were maple neck, and he scalloped the frets out of both of them. when he sent one in for some repairs the guy filled the scallops back in thinking he wanted that fixed too, of course blackmoore threw a fit because it took him forever to get it just the way he wanted.

most of his key studio work is on that maple neck

• Members
I have 67 Strats, 23 with rosewood boards, 31 with maple, and 13 with ebony, and I have blue pigs as well, I keep them in the top paddock with my beefburger trees, I live in a house made of daisies and at weekends I walk amid pastures of lightbulb orchids

Dude I want to party at your place i am sure you have some good smoke there.:cool:

• Members

Eric Johnson plays rosewood too...he did when I saw him last :cop:

I have one maple and one rosewood Strat...they sound different, but both sound exactly like Strats. I wouldn't put the difference down to fretboard...they have completely different electronics, different bridges, etc.

The maple neck American Series is usually my number one but I switch back and forth depending on my mood...plus maple goes with chrome red, and rosewood goes with the crimson transparent :D

• Members

I haven't tried many maple boards because they feel sticky to me but I love the look of both depending the color of the Strat. A tobacco burst with maple just doesn't look right IMO but an all white Strat with maple:love: I just haven't got along with a maple board yet but I'm sure there is 1 out there.

• Members

Just play what is comfortable and sounds good to you. I used to only buy maple because I prefer the feel of maple, but have now strats of both flavor because they all sound good.

But I still much prefer maple, and those strats get the most millage.

• Members

Well, I love both of my Strats, but truth be told, the EJ dominates the Fat Strat (which really is a good sounding guitar, the EJ is just that good!) in the tone department, you can even hear the difference acoustically, the EJ is just much more resonant and snappy. I'm thinking that's got a lot more to do with the two-piece body & thin nitro lacquer than it does the different tonewoods used for the fretboards.

It's like anything else though, you can find really sweet ones in any flavor, you've just gotta shop around and actually play 'em to find a good one. Your ears and your hands will tell you when you've found a keeper.

• Moderators

Richie blackmoore's 2 favorite strats were maple neck, and he scalloped the frets out of both of them. when he sent one in for some repairs the guy filled the scallops back in thinking he wanted that fixed too, of course blackmoore threw a fit because it took him forever to get it just the way he wanted.

most of his key studio work is on that maple neck

About as wrong as you could get, the scalloped guitar you refer to was the rosewood boarded white guitar he is usually associated with, the tech planed the board down while refretting this guitar, the reason why aftre it was re-scalloped the maple came thru the rosewood.

[YOUTUBE]3dHa6LbEKXc[/YOUTUBE]

Archived