Weird Thing About Rosewood vs. Maple fingerboards on Strats

goldenhose

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do listen with my ears. I recently started watching live youtube videos of my favorite bands and noticed my favorite guitarists seem to use maple necks.

I saw hendrix used both but saw he went with maple for woodstock. I would like to think he went all out for woodstock and thought maple would sound better. Or maybe he just thought it lookd cooler.

The fingerboards effect on tone isnt exaggerated. The fret contacts the fingerboard like a bridge into the body.

After I get my maple neckd strat, Im gonna get a telly. To see how much different a fixed bridge compares to tremelo one.

jimi was never about a guitar in anyway.

he didn't use maple at woodstock for any reason other than it was the guitar he had there to play. he didn't give a {censored} about his guitars.

• Members
Poppycock. You can only notice it if you have a reference tone. You're ears adjust to one tone and the other stands out like a sore thumb. That's the reason no one could ever tell in a recording or live because there is no reference to compare to. Any one guitar will sound different than another, solely because variation in body and necks blanks, even if they are same model, but that is also what makes such general rules little more than rough guidelines.

The fact is, if you take two of anything and compare them side by side, then the differences scream out out. But the way the mind and ear work are different once you introduce more samples. Compare a Maple board to a RW board side-to-side, you'll hear a difference; hell, compare a Maple board to a Maple board side-by-side, you'll hear a difference. Compare a dozen Maple Strats with a dozen RW Strats, and your perception changes, eventually you notice similarities
instead
of differences. By the time you got through two dozen Strats, regardless of fingerboard wood (probably body wood or even hardtail vs. trem) and they will
all
sound like Strats to you and you wouldn't be able to tell one from another on sound alone (human minds just don't process like that). It's practically a law of market research analysis.

Is there a difference between the two...yes. I believe so. I'm saying it doesn't mean {censored} because you aren't going to go back and forth compare, eventually you get used to whatever you have and that becomes "normal"; ultimately they all sound like Strats.

Stop with the rational thoughts already. :lol:

I like the way maple feels over rosewood. I have been told and have read that there is a difference in sound and I am really in the camp that there is a difference. Is it a huge difference? Probably not, but every part of a guitar impacts the tone somewhat; the woods used for the fretboard surely has to have an impact as well.

Will it be the same impact on every guitar? Hell, I doubt it, but like you said you can compare 20 of the same exact damn model and you'll hear a difference between them all just because there is so much variance between everything that makes up a guitar.

I'd never choose a rosewood or maple neck over the other just based on what type it is. Its always the one that feels and sounds better and that could be one, both or neither of them.

• Members

Fingers. Where tone comes from.

Even if you're going to blame/credit the gear, fretboard wood is WAY down on the list of stuff that matters.

on the list, from most important to least important, sure, but they all still affect tone.

tone is in the fingers? let's hear some jimi from an affinity strat.

• Members

on the list, from most important to least important, sure, but they all still affect tone.

tone is in the fingers? let's hear some jimi from an affinity strat.

Jimi played big-head CBS-era strats a lot of the time. Many of those were at least as bad as a typical Squier Affinity is today.

• Members
Fingers. Where tone comes from.

Even if you're going to blame/credit the gear, fretboard wood is WAY down on the list of stuff that matters.

my guitar playing sux so much it needs all the help it can get.

the goal is to find a guitar amp combo that even the wrong notes sound good. :p

• Moderators

wow, it seemd like every pic an video of rb and jb they always had a rosewood strat

One of Purples most famous gigs....California Jam?

[YOUTUBE]2CErFTm72UQ[/YOUTUBE]

This guitar was used to record Smoke, if you look up the archive pics from Montreaux, he also had a black Strat, maple board 68 or 69 used qite a lot til about 76.

Jeff Beck

[YOUTUBE]eW73VIz7ctU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]BsfL6ATX1i4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

My maple board strat has a warmer sound than my rosewood one. Of course, they have completely different pickups, different saddles, tuners, one is a 2-piece body, the other a 3-piece, etc. :blah:

I don't even know how you could a/b the two in a fair manner. Wouldn't you have to have two of the same model, with the exact same pickup height, strings, and action? They might even sound different if they were both maple or both rosewood, anyways.

• Members

Maple just feels sticky to me, so I play rosewood. If I were to play something with a maple board, I would still sound like me.

i LOVE rosewood... but maple looks cooler

Rosewood just seems to be softer to my fingers... I might just be retarded or something but maple is just too hard.

If you know what I mean.

Archived