A Touch Of Fret Buzz On 6, 7, 8, & 9 = Truss Rod Adjust?

Doctor Morbius

• Members

yep

I won't have a guitar with the adjustment there. It's just dumb.

I have two - a surf green partscaster with Robert Cray neck and a Classic Players '60s Strat.

Got the adjustment done and the neck put back on. Seems better but still getting some buzz on the 8th fret on low E. Not bad though.

Been practicing some tremolo picking for surf tunes. :D

• Members

Unfortunately, you'd need to know more than just where the buzz is. Check your string height at various frets starting with the first fret. Also site down the side of your neck to check the relief.

The guitar could have an improper cut cut. It could need trussrod adjustment. It could need action adjustment. sometimes it needs all three to get the buzz out complete and get the guitar playing well. Then there's always neck shimming - but that's not usually needed for slight neck buzz.

• Members

A buzz that starts at around the 7th fret would indicate that the truss rod is too loose. Tighten up, dude. IOW, clockwise if your sighting down the neck to the bridge.

It could also be that you need fret work, if that doesn't help.

Actually, it indicates that the truss rod is too tight causing a bit of back bow. He needs to loosen it.

• Members

This thread should be closed....all that will follow is an argument of whether or not you should shim, cut, replace, or firebomb the neck in order to get rid of a little buzz. 3 days and 400 posts later it will be concluded that you need to turn to the left a little bit.

Actually, it already is shimmed. :D

If the buzz weren't localized smack dab in the middle of the neck I would have raised the action first.

And yes I did loosen the rod.

• Members

Actually, it indicates that the truss rod is too tight causing a bit of back bow. He needs to loosen it.

Measure the relief at the 7th fret. If the truss rod is dual-action it could be back bowed, but too much relief can cause the same symptom.

• Members

WTF? Is this,like,a weekly friggin thing over here or what?99% of the time if you have buzz around the 7,8,9 frets and not the 1,2,3rd you should probably .............LOOSEN THE NUT!

Respectfuly, must disagree. If it were back-bowed, he would have buzz on the first few frets too.

• Members

Respectfuly, must disagree. If it were back-bowed, he would have buzz on the first few frets too.

Schoolie, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt until now.

99% of the time buzz on middle frets needs truss rod looser.

1/2% of the time there is too much relief making the middle frets buzz off the higher frets (as opposed to adjacent frets).

1/2% of the time the nut is cut too low.

Since Doc said the buzzing was only on the 7-10th frets we know the nut is OK or high if there is any problem.

Since the buzzing comes from 7,8,9, and 10, we can deduce that the buzzing is probably from adjacent frets.

• Members

If its a truss rod problem you have a valley or dip in the neck and have to tighten the rod. You can check this by using the strings as a straight edge...hold down the fat E at the first and 12th-14th or so and look at where the string is in relation to the problem frets. If you have a miniscule gap you are probably OK, if there is a big gap tighten the rod a tad. Usually a back bow will create buzz towards the nut. The other likely possibility is that the frets need to be leveled and dressed or you have a high 10th fret.

Archived