all you ebony fretboard users

zosoKing5

• Members

after playing for an hour or five, do you ever find that your fingertips are black on your fretting hand? Im guessing this is from the fretboard but its never happened to me before until this guitar. anyone else have experience with this?

im not particularly worried about it, just mildly amused and curious.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some dyes do come off after lots of sweaty playing, a cleaning and a layer of oil or beeswax on the board will keep the dye away, and the board in better shape. FYI the Madagascar ebony was the blackest and densest but is now also the most scarce (Madagascar is turning into a parking lot). My '91 Carvin never bled, and after I took it down 2mm for a refret/finish the wood was totally black all through. Other ebonies are only black at the dyed surface, and LMII has a few Mad ebony boards left for $ ($55 for a midnight black, 36 fret, 30" scale, 3.25" wide, 5 string bass board)

• Members

Ebony fretboard are NOT black when they start out. They're all dyed, and that dye comes off on new guitars sometimes.. Nether of my Carvins have ever left my fingers black though.

Well, SORT of Ravencad.

I think you mean, "alot" of ebony fretboards are not black, and are dyed.

Some boards are pretty damned black naturally, and even more so if you oil them a little.

You are right that ALOT of boards, even really dark ones are dyed for consistancy of color though.

This is most likely what is turning Opies fingers black.

• Members

i find that its often the stock strings and not the fretboard making fingers black. my new SX with rosewood fretboard was doing it. tossed the strings, and no more black.

generally on a new guitar, removing the strings, wiping down the fretboard with lemon oil or some other cleaner, then putting new strings on will keep your hands clean.

• Members

only a little percentage of ebony is as black as the name suggests.

some manufactures even call their not-black ebony 'tigerstripe'.

the ebony fretboard on my Framus Diablo Custom was not dyed, however, and I never got black fingers after playing it.

Dying ebony or rosewood is just a way to cut costs and to satisfy the perception that good ebony should be as black as... well... ebony... ;)

• Members

Shouldnt happen. At least not if cleans the board regular if lots of sweaty playing. Has had some col,oring of fingers from useing some strings though. Cant remember what brand it was. If fretboard is shedding dye lot would say was poor qaulity via mfg. Perhaps its an estaban guitar.

• Members

I've had 3 guitars with ebony fretboards.

I had a Patrick Eggle Berlin that did leave marks on my fingers. It also left a lot of dye on the paper towels I used, when I used lemon oil to clean it.

My Yamaha CPX900 acoustic has an ebony board but it hasn't been dyed and has a dark brown appearance - quite similar to the guitar posted by The Bleeding.

My Yamaha SG2000 leaves no marks at all - either when I'm playing it or when I clean it. The fretboard on the SG2000 has a really deep, shiny, smooth, solid black appearance.

I can only assume that the board on that guitar is natural black ebony. It's certainly the best ebony board that I've seen yet.

AV45408.jpg

Archived