LP Custom trade? Should I?

zakkfaerum

• Members

Hey everyone. I have a trade scenario that I am not 100% sure on. I like all of the gear involved but I'd like some input if I could. All of the gear is in great shape.

I have been offered a PRS CE24 + Taylor 414ce + $400US

for my

1980 Gibson LP Custom + Taylor 210e

We would be meeting up to exchange everything. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help!!

• Members

Well, let's see

Your LPC is worth ~$2000, depending on condition.

A used CE-24, maple top can be had for $1000, but let's give the benefit of the doubt and say $1100.

So, that's $900 difference, minus $400.

Is a used 414ce worth $500 more than a used 210e? Probably.

Seems okay. But you'll have a lot harder time replacing that LPC if you miss it, so make sure the CE is what you really want.

• Members

These are all such different guitars. I don't think there's much doubt you'll be a bit ahead financially, a 400 series Taylor is worth more than $500 more than a 200 series...

The real question is if you like the new guitars better. They're both quite different in sound and feel to what you have now.

I'd only do it if you really liked the other guitars more.

M

• Members

yes asinine.Let me get this straight:You think the jagmaster is a nice guitar but charvels are ugly?,charvel necks suck arse/ass when they are legendary for their "broken in feel" and their quality?Listen if you don't like something that's fine,start your reply with"I don't like them because",but don't talk out of your {censored}ing ass and say something is {censored} simply because YOU don't like it.By the way a fad usually dies out after a short period of time.

• Members

I never insulted charvel necks(never played a charvel, just know morons traded 60's LPs for them in the 80s and got burned in the long run).

I'm talking about the fact that PRS guitars lack the esteem and classic simplicity and elegance needed to make them have a shred of value compared to a les paul custom.

• Members

^like I said^.all the guitars you mentioned with the exception of,maybe, Kramer(still being made but I'm unsure of the quality) are still going strong.

They're made, but they hold neither the price relative to nor the esteem of guitars they were once held as equal to or better than.

i.e. Resale value will be crap when the damand tanks, after the PRS fad ends.

• Members

Demand?:poke:resale value on any guitar without the words gibson or fender on the headstock is low.I'm not sure of "boutique" guitars though

Correction:

Fender, gibson, gretsch, rickenbacker, squier, PRS, and epiphone.

How "in demand" are kramers or ibanez destroyers right now?

Exactly.

• Members

keep the LP. PRS is as much of a fad as kramer and charvel were. Will eb useless.

A fad? PRS? Whether you like them or not does not make them a 'fad'.

PRS has been around for over 20 years and have brought serious competition to the other US guitar companies. Serious enough that Gibson tried to sue them to eliminate the competition.

Think before posting. OK?

I can't offer any advice on the trade. I like LP's and PRS CE's. Play each and make your own decision.

• Members

Sometimes I get a bit excited for new gear and kick myself later. For example, I traded this LP for a Parker, which I flipped and made a decent profit. However, the profit was quickly absorbed and saddly I still think loving thoughts about that Goldtop.

sk8lp_1.jpg

Keep the Les Paul.

Archived