Do they make distortion pedals with actual tubes?

goldenhose

• Members

yes, there are quite a few, actually. Here's some that are quite good:

Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n Overdrive

239684.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-English-Muffn-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=153335

Radial Tonebone Plexitube Distortion Pedal

535761.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Radial-Tonebone-Plexitube-Distortion-Pedal?sku=153935

Seymour Duncan SFX-03 Twin Tube Classic

468828.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SFX03-Twin-Tube-Classic-Preamp-Pedal?sku=159341

Vox Cooltron Big Ben Overdrive

468711.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-CT02OD-Cooltron-Big-Ben-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=150326

there are LOTS more out there, these are just a few off the top of my head that I KNOW are good...

• Members

Ibanez tube king, Rocktron silver dragon, Blackstar amplification pedals.... to name three more

I have a Silver Dragon. It is one of the worst dirt pedals of any type that I've ever owned. I have a first series Tube King, which is ok. I used to have a Dean Markley Overlord that wasn't bad for a low voltage model. I'm kind of eyeing the Blackstar dual distortion model to use with my Windsor Studio.

• Members

There most be 3 dozen different brands that all offer tube-driven overdrives.

My problem is the best of them do a great job of copping a high-gain preamp tone (because the best of them are high-gain preamps packed in a pedal, high voltage and all), but none really do a great job of mimicking power tube crunch. I still find that SS overdrives to that better.

SIB (fav of mine)

Mesa

Budda (buzzy)

Vox

Ibanez

Tube Works (defunct) (hate their stuff)

Chandler

Radial

Soldano

Maxon

EH

Fuchs

H&K (fav of mine)

Behringer

Epicenter Audio

Kingsley

Matchless

Black Cat

Hot Chili (defunct)

Damage Control

Rocktron

Tube Depot

Electrosonic

Guyatone

Etc.

Etc.

• Members

thats cool. Im gonna see if one of these pedals give my hybrid amp more of a tube sound. The more tubes the bettter right?

Some of those supposed tube drives are really just for show. A 9 volt DC battery is gonna heat up the filament of a 12AX7?

Even the Vox Tonelab is a bit misleading. There's a little LED light behind the tube to make it look like it's glowing.

• Members

thats cool. Im gonna see if one of these pedals give my hybrid amp more of a tube sound. The more tubes the bettter right?

I think you'll be disappointed. The tube power amp is the reason so many tube amps are highly regarded. The crunch of a vintage Marshall, the bite of a cranked BF Fender, etc. are a combination of preamp and poweramp saturation.

• Members

Some of those supposed tube drives are really just for show. A 9 volt DC battery is gonna heat up the filament of a 12AX7?

Even the Vox Tonelab is a bit misleading. There's a little LED light behind the tube to make it look like it's glowing.

I was wondering about that. There's 2 ways to run a tube, I believe they call it hot plate and cold plate voltage. I have a ART mic pre with a cold tube in it. A decent mic pre but the tube does nothing to warm up the sound and when overdriven sounds like fizzy poop. How many of the above pedals have 'hot' tubes in them?

• Members

I was wondering about that. There's 2 ways to run a tube, I believe they call it hot plate and cold plate voltage. I have a ART mic pre with a cold tube in it. A decent mic pre but the tube does nothing to warm up the sound and when overdriven sounds like fizzy poop. How many of the above pedals have 'hot' tubes in them?

There are a lot of designs now that actually use high plate voltages (200+ VDC) and two tubes for multiple cascading gain/clipping stages.

B K Butler (Tube Works and others) uses the starved plate design where the distortion actually came from running the tube at such a low voltage that it couldn't function well and would distort.

And yet, some only actually use the tube in the output buffer stage, just to add a little warmth to the tone, but not in the gain/clipping stages.

• Members

It's quite interesting: small devices that use tubes (such as these pedals and stuff like the Behringer tube DIs) often don't run the tubes at a high enough voltage to get them to light up in any significant fashion (although they still are being used in the circuit). What Behringer in particular found was that guitarists/musicians just... didn't believe that the tubes were working if it didn't look like the tubes were lit up. So what they - and everyone else does - is backlight them with appropriately coloured LEDs.

Basically, it's all psychological reinforcement for those people who listen with their eyes. :)

(and on that note - just because something has tubes in it... don't mean it has to sound any good. I guess that means that it's also a trick they can use to make people think it enhances their sound.)

Archived