Uli John Roth

Karma1

• Members

I've heard his name for years, but have been unfamiliar with his music. Last night I was watching a cable tv show featuring local concerts and Uli John Roth was on. I wasn't quite as impressed with his playing as I expected to be. I thought he was good, but not the guitar god they introduced him as. His music reminded me of a band, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I realized who it was - Spinal Tap. It just felt very overblown and aiming for this epic rock vibe. The vocalists in particular seemed really over the top.

But I'm sure there are better examples of his music. Can anybody suggest any youtube videos where he really shines?

• Members

musically, Uli is off in his own little world, and most people probably arent going to like it..... but that doesnt change the fact that the man is a legend and him along with Blackmore pretty much invented the whole neoclassical metal genre that evolved afterwards....

• Members

Hmm. Maybe you need to check out some of his old stuff. The Scorpions' album Fly to the Rainbow is really really great if you keep in mind it was recorded in 1973. In Trance also has some very fluid Uli work, like at the beginning of the song the album is named for. Check 'em out. Uli's work is excellent in an old school pre-Van Halen tapping way.

• Members

actually..Michael Schenker played on that album.

Actually Uli did play on Scorpions album Fly to the Rainbow. Michael Schenker (who had already left by then to join UFO) played on their first LP Lonesome Crow, and didn't record with them again until around '79 when he re-joined briefly on Lovedrive.

Anyway... Uli is a monster player. Stylistically he's been all over the place over the years, but an awesome musician nonetheless. I agree with some of the other posters... his work with the Scorpions, as well as his early solo stuff, is amazing.

EDIT: oops... n'V'us and ovni beat me to it... shoulda' known... ;)

• Members

Actually Uli did play on Scorpions album Fly to the Rainbow. Michael Schenker (who had already left by then to join UFO) played on their first LP Lonesome Crow, and didn't record with them again until around '79 when he re-joined briefly on Lovedrive.

Anyway... Uli is a monster player. Stylistically he's been all over the place over the years, but an awesome musician nonetheless. I agree with some of the other posters... his work with the Scorpions, as well as his early solo stuff, is amazing.

EDIT: oops... n'V'us and ovni beat me to it... shoulda' known...
;)

Ahhh...i didn't know that. My bad.

• Members

I've heard his name for years, but have been unfamiliar with his music. Last night I was watching a cable tv show featuring local concerts and Uli John Roth was on. I wasn't quite as impressed with his playing as I expected to be. I thought he was good, but not the guitar god they introduced him as. His music reminded me of a band, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I realized who it was - Spinal Tap. It just felt very overblown and aiming for this epic rock vibe. The vocalists in particular seemed really over the top.

But I'm sure there are better examples of his music. Can anybody suggest any youtube videos where he really shines?

Dude, for Uli's BEST playing listen to Scorpions Tokyo Tapes!!!!

he is OUTSTANDING!!!:thu:

Archived