Lousiest, obvious edits ever in a pop song?

• Members

Not quite a pop song, but Genesis' "Supper's Ready" - there's an awful cut on the last Mellotron chord before a flute passage. The Mellotron drops pitch abruptly by more than a few cents at the cut.

• Members

No, that line is from "I am the Walrus."

I was only kidding about the "yellow matter custard" being from "Strawberry Fields Forever."

Everybody knows that it was in the original version of Michelle, but it made the song too long and they cut that verse in the studio. Not wanting to waste such a great line they later...

• Members

I was only kidding about the "yellow matter custard" being from "Strawberry Fields Forever."

Everybody knows that it was in the original version of Michelle, but it made the song too long and they cut that verse in the studio. Not wanting to waste such a great line they later...

Did you know that Paul had so much trouble with the French parts on that song that they actually had to hire a French studio singer to record the track instead? Apparently it took them quite a while to find one that sounded enough like Paul to fool everyone, but if you know what to listen for, it's really obvious.

• Moderators

Michelle, my bell.

These are words that go together well,

My Michelle.

Michelle, my bell.

Yello matter custard dripping like hell,

It's starting to gel.

I will say the only words I know that you'll understand

It's starting to smell.

• Members

Michelle, my bell.

My Michelle.

Michelle, my bell.

Yello matter custard dripping like hell,

It's starting to gel.

It's starting to smell.

Your meter isn't quite right... try this:

Michelle, my bell.

My Michelle.

Michelle, oh my.

Yellow matter custard dripping from,

(a) dead dog's eye.

Knickers down.

:cool:

• Members

"Helter Skelter" is on the
White Album
. You may be thinking of "I Am the Walrus." On the stereo version of the song there is an edit where it goes to the mono version right when John sings "Sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun...."

It's a pretty cool effect when listening on headphones.
:thu:

While this edit is somewhat obvious, I don't consider it lousy. It's kind of like the previously mentioned edit in "Strawberry Fields." While the edits were done by neccesity, the end result was an artistic improvement. The re-pitched vocals and instruments on "Strawberry Fields" result in a more dreamlike sounding recording. Way cool in my book.

The fact that they were able to pull it off was amazing. I love when John's voice is pitched down with sort of a "Darth Vader" result. And the rest of the instruments sound really heavy.

But correct me if I'm wrong: has anyone listened to "Strawberry Fields" from the "LOVE" cd? Of course the song goes from stripped down and evolves into what sounds very close to the released version, but I think the "Darth Vader" effect is gone - maybe because we have the pitch and tempo technology today which they didn't in '67?

• Members

The single version of Edgar Winter Group's Frankenstein.

\Clunk///

There are some obvious one's in Good Vibrations.

This is especially ironic considering that the song itself, stuck on album as an afterthought, was a major "Frankenstein" edit/splice project from a 25 minute jam. The album version is great, the radio edit stinks, but what's even more interesting are the versions on you tube from live 70's performances. You can get a clue as to how the jam must have sounded, because certain parts are repeated a few times, getting more complex each time and giving time for Winter to switch instruments.

From my lame view point, I think "Frankenstein" and ELP's "Lucky Man" were amazing at ushering in the synth age.

:blah: Oh, and of course you know the story about "Lucky Man"... It was a tune which Greg Lake wrote as a teenager, and ELP needed a song, so they recorded "Lucky Man" with Lake singing and playing guitar, while Keith Emerson was farting around on a modular Moog, and being recorded.

When it came time for him to lay down a "proper" solo, he was out voted by the rest of the band. They wanted to keep his noodling. :lol:

• Moderators

This is especially ironic considering that the song itself, stuck on album as an afterthought, was a major "Frankenstein" edit/splice project from a 25 minute jam. The album version is great, the radio edit stinks, but what's even more interesting are the versions on you tube from live 70's performances. You can get a clue as to how the jam must have sounded, because certain parts are repeated a few times, getting more complex each time and giving time for Winter to switch instruments.

From my lame view point, I think "Frankenstein" and ELP's "Lucky Man" were amazing at ushering in the synth age.

You're talking to a huge fan. It is ironic isn't it? The song is pieced together seamlessly then some record company hack chops out a hunk to shorten for radio. As I said... /CLUNK/

Archived