Frank Zappa died 15 years ago today.

Sfalj

• Members

Cigarettes killed him. The list of rockers killed by cigarettes is growing.

Warren Zevon, George Harrison....

Cigarettes suck.

He was too young to have died from cigs.

from Wikipedia, with references.

"Most of Zappa's projects came to a halt in 1990, when he was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer. The disease had been developing unnoticed for ten years and was considered inoperable."

• Members

My only lasting hero. I think about Frank everyday. I think about things he said about our country and how much more in my face they are today than when he said them. He knew the nature of people to be sure. From Brown Shoes Don't Make It to Rhymin' Man. Much more cutting than any of the so called ground breakers of his day or now. Everyone should read The Negative Dialectics Of Poodle Play. I don't Agree with everything that Ben Watson says but it's still a must read. I wish Frank was still around.

• Members

One of the most influential musicians to me, anyway. And while I like to think his heavy thoughts and deep meanings continue to inspire me, I have to admit that sometimes all that is going through my head in my daily travels is "raisin' my lonely dental floss."

• Members

I agree with the sentiments posted here - a sad,sad loss to the world.

First heard him in the mid 70s and have probably listened to something just about every week since. Not the best guitarist, but not damned bad...!

Can't say I loved everything he did, said or made - but I bet I liked more than I didn't...

Certainly made this uptight, over-serious teen (back then!) realise that music could actually be fun as well as cool...

Above all, I think I can safely say that he inspired me to listen to different genres of music to my general rock norm...

Ahh, just thinking of the tone on 'Sexual Harassment in the Workplace' still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - now if I can just get past 3 chords and 2 scales, I just might be able to nail it...!!!:rolleyes:

btw - was looking at an old biog of FZ in a second-hand bookstore in Edinburgh last week and noted that it had references to interviews with FZ by HCEG's very own CSM.

Archived