I have committed an act of snorkeldickery

mnewb1

• Members

"The future belongs to the analog loyalists. {censored} digital."

-- Steve Albini, 1987

:facepalm:

he's not exactly wrong. there's a certain sound that overloading a tape makes that recording digitally can't replicate. and when digital recording is overloaded, it sounds awful. there's a lot to be said about recording everything analog, and then only mastering digitally. and what we've seen over the past 5 years is a lot of digital harshness and artifacts in major label recordings, because they're pumping up the levels past what its designed to handle.

but done right, digital is a wonderful thing. without it, there are many, many bands out there that i wouldn't know about.

• Members

There's no question in my mind that, in 1987, analog sounded better. Especially if you had a good turntable.

There's also no question in my mind that, today, most of what people THOUGHT were the shortcomings of digital back then were the result of poorly-designed recording and playback software, and what tiny perceptual advantages analog may still have are completely overshadowed by digital's superior S/N ratio, total lack of wow and flutter, total lack of surface-flaw pops & ticks, total lack of playback wear, and vastly greater convenience.

I know a lot of old hi-fi geeks, and while most of them have turntables which rival the price of my entire recording studio, they all have a CD player (and, recently, a digital FM receiver) hooked up to their stereo systems as well.

In other words, he was totally wrong about analog being "the future". In 1987, it was just barely "the present", and anybody looking closely at the way technology was going could see that.

(BTW: Albini recently begrudgingly added digital gear to his own studio, so even he stands as proof of how wrong he was.)

• Members

Congrats on the deal. Damn, you got me thinkin' now.

I found a PRS singlecut today that I fell in love with, but I ain't got the cash. I do have a USA Strat that I've only played once and two other singlecuts I'd sell or trade in to help put me on the path to aquiring that PRS. Maybe I should just save my money for awhile and see how that goes. Either way, I WILL have a PRS singlecut in my possession in '09.

What tah do, what tah do......

• Members

Congrats on the deal. Damn, you got me thinkin' now.

I found a PRS singlecut today that I fell in love with, but I ain't got the cash. I do have a USA Strat that I've only played once and two other singlecuts I'd sell or trade in to help put me on the path to aquiring that PRS. Maybe I should just save my money for awhile and see how that goes. Either way, I WILL have a PRS singlecut in my possession in '09.

What tah do, what tah do......

336405523_a5ff4df147_o.jpg

GAS is a hellava Drug!

• Members

Here is the origin of the word Snorkeldick:

In a quote from a UK guitar mag ,Steve Albini said the following in regards to guitars made Paul Reed Smith:

"Hideous, hideous guitars usually around the neck of a total cock....but blindfolded they play real nicely. Immaculate assembly and playing comfort, but just hideous and owned by snorkeldicks"

• Members

Here is the origin of the word Snorkeldick:

In a quote from a UK guitar mag ,Steve Albini said the following in regards to guitars made Paul Reed Smith:

"Hideous, hideous guitars usually around the neck of a total cock....but blindfolded they play real nicely. Immaculate assembly and playing comfort, but just hideous and owned by snorkeldicks

Wise man, that Steve Albini dude. I agree 100 %

• Members

congrats! i've played a few prs and own an se soapbar. good guitars fo show! some like em, and some don't. i gas for the dgt in gold.

The DTG looks like an interesting guitar. That is one I did not try last weekend. I did try the Johnny Hiland model and was pleasantly surprised that it really played and felt great. I was really tempted by that one as they did have a used one there at the time.

Archived