Scientists record the sound of jello wobbling

• Members

Link

The icky sticky sound of the dessert, known as jello in north America, was recorded at University College London for a soundtrack that will be used at the end of the week in a bizarre "architectural jelly banquet" where leading firms of architects will compete for recognition of their creative skills with this unusual medium.

As real jellies wobbled in one of UCL's anechoic chambers - a special room in which the walls are lined with sound-absorbent material - the oscillations were recorded by sound artist Douglas Murphy.

He says: "It is refreshing to explore the sonority of a much neglected physical property: the wobble factor. Jelly entices us into a strange but compelling world of organic sounds. The sonic wobble is captured in two ways: by carefully recording the results of gentle coaxing and by expressing the wobble frequency as physically powerful base tones."

Prof Jonathan Ashmore, UCL Ear Institute, adds: "Ear experts have been studying jelly for decades, for collagen - one of the starting ingredients of jelly - makes up the critical components of the inner ear. The way that collagen wobbles on a very small scale is what allows us to hear different notes."

The sounds captured in the chamber will be turned into a wobbling jelly soundtrack to be played on Friday night at the event, backed by the jelly manufacturer Bompas & Parr, self proclaimed "architectural foodsmiths," as part of the London Festival of Architecture.

• Members

My friend, Paul Wolff, former owner of API had sold a console to a unnamed university. They stopped payment saying that the mic preamps we're too noisy. As the story goes, the school was trying to record the sound of ice melting. The console was eventually paid for.

• Members

My friend, Paul Wolff, former owner of API had sold a console to a unnamed university. They stopped payment saying that the mic preamps we're too noisy. As the story goes, the school was trying to record the sound of ice melting. The console was eventually paid for.

The next project was recording the sound of grass growing? Or paint drying?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For one, nice thread, I find this to be pretty interesting.

For two - did anyone watch the video that had the sound of the jello wobbling? Sounded like some looney tunes sound effect. I am sure that somewhere in the history of microphones, someone recorded the sound of jello wobbling, I'm skeptical that this is the first occurrence.

Archived