Anyone Ever Try Using a Seperate Amp For Each Pickup?

goldenhose

• Members

I would like to run marshall with a fendertwin.

how does it sound with effects and clean sound? Does it give the sound more clarity? less muddy

You'll never really know until you try it - a lot of that depends on the individual amps and their EQ's, the FX, the quality of the A/B/Y box, and the guitar.

I run two amps every now and then, but mostly A/B'ed and not "Y'ed". When I do run both together, it's lots of fun mixing the sound from both amps - almost endless possibilities.

• Members

In the greatful dead's "wall of sound", each polepiece fed into a different amplifier for the bass guitar.

It also served as P.A. and monitor system for the band.

The way they avoided microphonic feedback, was with two microphones in reverse wiring to cancel everything identical between the two microphones. Like a humbucker cancels main hum.

Pretty amazing stuff, a band system that kept vinyl-quality fidelity 1/4 of a mile away from the stage.

• Members

Yeah Chris Squire's bass sound is delightful, plugging his Rick into a bass and a guitar amp simultaneously.

It might be interesting with a guitar, although hijacking the guitar so that you get two outputs sounds like a hassle... then again I'm not good with that stuff, you might be.

Neck pup into clean amp, bridge pup into something hi-gain... I'd love to hear the results.

• Members

Yeah Chris Squire's bass sound is delightful, plugging his Rick into a bass and a guitar amp simultaneously.

It might be interesting with a guitar, although hijacking the guitar so that you get two outputs sounds like a hassle... then again I'm not good with that stuff, you might be.

Neck pup into clean amp, bridge pup into something hi-gain... I'd love to hear the results.

thats what I mean. Or even use clean amps but accenuate the bass and treble for a richer sound.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I saw a guy at show not too long running a marshall JCM and fender DR in series and it sounded pretty good. I played a rickenbacker 360 through two amps and it didn't really do much for me. As everyone has been saying you just need a stereo input jack.

Archived