Mississippi Queen Tone; want it bad.....

TheSkyIsCrying

• Members

Take out your neck pickup.

Yes, I'm serious.

Really.

Magnet pull is a bigger factor in string energy and sustain than bridge type or even body wood in many cases. Having a single pickup, single magnet, will help not only in volume, sustain, and getting that alnico clipping(that's part of the sound), but also things like tuning sustainability and ease of bends.

As for amplification, I'd say a nicely overdriven silverface bassman comes closer to the tone than modern marshalls. Won't cost ya as much either.

• Members

Has anyone ever interviewed Leslie and asked about his Mountain tone? His crunch chords are RIDICULOUSLY filthy, almost like he used a pedal. Hard to believe he got so much gain without a pedal, especially in the late 60's- early 70's. The live stuff available sounds pretty close to his recorded sound, figuring in the primitive methods employed.

• Members

leslie west is great...don't get me wrong...but we were working on covering mississippi queen...what a horrible song:cry:...with the exception of leslie's guitar part...vocaly and lyricaly:confused:...maybe it's because i'm primarily a singer and secondly a guitarist,but i just could not get into it...

Damon

• Members

leslie west is great...don't get me wrong...but we were working on covering mississippi queen...what a horrible song:cry:...with the exception of leslie's guitar part...vocaly and lyricaly:confused:...maybe it's because i'm primarily a singer and secondly a guitarist,but i just could not get into it...

Damon

Yes, I would say that because you are primarily a vocalist, Mississippi Queen is probably not your cup of tea. It was a great vehicle for Leslie's blues shouting and exquisite guitar style. Definitely not in a league with 'Like a Rolling Stone' or 'A Day in the Life' etc. Leslie's tone and expressive blues-rock style will probably always have fans.

• Members

Yes, I would say that because you are primarily a vocalist, Mississippi Queen is probably not your cup of tea. It was a great vehicle for Leslie's blues shouting and exquisite guitar style. Definitely not in a league with 'Like a Rolling Stone' or 'A Day in the Life' etc. Leslie's tone and expressive blues-rock style will probably always have fans.

intrumantaly it's great though:)

Damon

• Members

I've been chasing the Leslie West tone for 20+ years. I've finally come to the relization that I'm going to sound like me no matter what I do. So now that I've come to that I got a tone I'm pleased with and when I play Mountain songs they sound pretty good even if I don't sound just like Leslie.

• Members

The recording is punched up with quite a bit of compression. If you were in the room with Leslie West when it was recorded, I'll bet it sounded a lot different. That's one of the problems when you try to ape someone's recorded tone.

yup

get yoself a studio and a producer

and maybe some Felix Pappalardi

• Members

Damon

Huh-wha? I love the vocals of that song because it's so quirky.

While the rest of them dudes were'a gettin' their kicks,

Buddy, beg your pardon, I was getting mine!

That is the {censored}!

Archived