Am I the only one that hates uncut guitar strings?

kit_strong

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every time I see a guitarist up on stage with uncut guitar strings I want to run up and punch them in the face with one hand while trimming their strings with another.

Am I the only one that has such a visceral reaction to the sight of uncut guitar strings?

And why do some players do that? Is it just laziness or does it serve some other purpose? It takes what, 2.8 seconds to snip off 6 strings?

-Kit

Marty? Is that you?

A guy I know from a band that I used to go watch when I first turned 21 hangs out in a bar we play at a lot. One night I changed my strings and couldn't find the cutters to trim the strings. Marty came up and yelled at the band "If you don't cut your strings I'm never going to come out and watch you guys again"

I usually trim my strings so I don't poke anyones eye out, not because of the way it looks.

Max

• Members

I have a guitar coming in February that uses Planet Waves locking tuners which are suppose to cut the string end off as the string is tuned up. WTF?!

Youll love them. I have 3 guitars with them... And theyre awesome! You can change strings in five minutes very easily. Not counting a good cleaning and polishing of course.:thu:

• Members
I don't prefer them on my own guitars, but I could give a {censored} what someone else does with theirs. You like what you like...to each their own.

COULDN'T give a {censored}.

If you COULD give a {censored}, that implies you could care....

Its like when you say 'I could care less"

That is implying that you DO care to some extent.

You couldn't care less.

English lesson over. Please REVISE. :cop:

• Members

There are two possible explanations: you're ("you" being the person with uncut strings, not the OP) either (A) slovenly and can't afford a wire cutter or are too careless or lazy to use it, and your car probably is full of old fast-food wrappers on the floor; or (B) if you leave them that way on purpose, a tool who probably has other silly affectations like leaving the price tags on your baseball cap and turning the bill to one side. (A) deserves a sad, slow shake of the head. (B) deserves a cockpunch. Trim that {censored}, yo. And then use your needle-nose pliers to bend the trimmed ends down so you don't poke your fingers when wiping your headstock down.

• Members

Every time I see a guitarist up on stage with uncut guitar strings I want to run up and punch them in the face with one hand while trimming their strings with another.

Am I the only one that has such a visceral reaction to the sight of uncut guitar strings?

And why do some players do that? Is it just laziness or does it serve some other purpose? It takes what, 2.8 seconds to snip off 6 strings?

-Kit

Feel free to try and pinch me in the face when I am gigging.

• Members
There are two possible explanations: you're ("you" being the person with uncut strings, not the OP) either (A) slovenly and can't afford a wire cutter or are too careless or lazy to use it, and your car probably is full of old fast-food wrappers on the floor; or (B) if you leave them that way on purpose, a tool who probably has other silly affectations like leaving the price tags on your baseball cap and turning the bill to one side. (A) deserves a sad, slow shake of the head. (B) deserves a cockpunch. Trim that {censored}, yo. And then use your needle-nose pliers to bend the trimmed ends down so you don't poke your fingers when wiping your headstock down.

You wipe your headstock down?

• Members
How true...how true.

I keep my strings uncut for 1 day after I do a string change just in case I have to take the strings off for something. But after that....bye bye.

Guitarist that leave their strings uncut are just craving attention.

So if I break a string onstage and put a new one on during break, I'm an attention craver? How about people who drive around in dirty cars?Are they doing it to get attention?

• Members

My friend has this mustang guitar with strings that 15+ years old. All cruddy and black. I asked my friend why don't you get some strings and he said what for?

I was surprised on how different new strings sound...tell him to try it out.

Archived