African-Americans in rock appreciation thread!

nos

• Members

Though not an American, Rebop Kwaku Baah was an African rocker with Traffic. Doesn't really count for this thread, but I like his playing enough to mention him anyway.

Anthony "Rebop" Kwaku Baah[1], 13 February 1944[2] in Konongo, Ghana[3]; died 12 January 1983[4] in Stockholm, Sweden was a Ghanaian-Swedish percussionist.

Biography

He played in the English band Traffic from 1971 to 1974, having met them in Sweden during a tour in 1971. He appeared on the albums Welcome to the Canteen, The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory and On the Road.

In 1973 he played in Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert along with Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend, Rick Grech, Jim Capaldi, Ronnie Wood, Jimmy Karstein, and Steve Winwood

Later, along with former Traffic bassist Rosko Gee, he joined the German band Can in 1977, playing with them until their breakup in 1979, appearing on the albums Saw Delight, Out of Reach and Can. He also played with Ginger Baker's Air Force, Wings and others.

Rebop died of a cerebral hemorrhage in 1983. His final album, Melodies in a Jungle Mans Head, was released in its unfinished state.[5][6]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Roy Brown and Wynonie Harris were rockin' in the 1940s. Rock'n Roll precedes Bill Haley & Elvis.

This is an excellent guide to the forgotten history of the early years http://www.hoyhoy.com/dawn_of_rock.htm

"Forget all the myths you hear about 1954, Sun Records, Elvis, Sam Phillips, etc. That's the story of rockabilly, but rock and roll itself was already here, named, recorded, and given airplay, long before then. Many people have continued to spread the myth, that rock and roll was originally a mix of blues and country music, so often and for so long that it's almost considered a fact by some people. The truth is, rock and roll is older than rockabilly, which was a blending of rock and roll with country music."

• Members

Roy Brown and Wynonie Harris were rockin' in the 1940s. Rock'n Roll precedes Bill Haley & Elvis.

This is an excellent guide to the forgotten history of the early years

"Forget all the myths you hear about 1954, Sun Records, Elvis, Sam Phillips, etc. That's the story of rockabilly, but rock and roll itself was already here, named, recorded, and given airplay, long before then. Many people have continued to spread the myth, that rock and roll was originally a mix of blues and country music, so often and for so long that it's almost considered a fact by some people. The truth is, rock and roll is older than rockabilly, which was a blending of rock and roll with country music."

what myth ?

anyone who has grew up listening to chuck berry, bill haily, bo diddley, buddy holly , Ritchie valens knows that elvis was the king of rock and roll but not the originator,,,,

even buddy got his influence from the rock and roll greats that came before him and buddy predates elvis

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

EDIT NOTE - sorry i re-read this post and it came off as sounding a bit harsh , i just mean that, thats the first time i have heard of a myth that elvis started rock and roll, my parents aunts and uncles all gew up listening to all those people,,,,this is first i heard some one say elvis invented rock and roll,,, but your right this thread has potential to shine some light on the roots of rock and roll ...

• Members
Bob Marley...I know he wasn't rock but I think he's had an

influence on rock.

I don't believe that Bob Marley was American so it would be impossible for him to be included in a discussion about African-American musicians. :cop:

• Members
I don't believe that Bob Marley was American so it would be impossible for him to be included in a discussion about African-American musicians.
:cop:

Hell, we've already had Phil Lynott (Irish mum, Afro-Brazilian dad) (or was that in t'other thread?) -- and Bob M and his ma did live in Delaware for awhile ...

• Members

that guy from "love"

course my 2 all time favs in the whole world phil from lizzy and jimi...great music and of course lets not forget

its not just the music part, the brothers have more soul in the voice too. sorry my white brothers, even when we have decent ranges its rare that we have that extra soul ingredient. I'll take satchmo over the three tenors any day.

• Members

Charlie christian(legitimizing electric guitar)

Muddy waters(one of the first and most influential recording artists to use electric guitar and overdriven tube amplfiers)

Bo diddley (presenting the importance of simplicity in electric guitar based music)

Ike Turner (inventing rock n' roll, pretty much)

Chuck Berry (prolifically bringing rock and roll to the popular consciousness)

Little Richard (being awesome)

Jimi hendrix(obvious)

fixed:thu:

Archived