Kid Rock: How the Detroit rocker scored a monster hit with "All Summer Long"

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Huh? He's a hell of a musician and Michael Jackson isn't? I don't even think he's even much of an entertainer!

There are millions of people out there who say you're wrong. But you've never been to one of his shows anyhow, so... It's confounding that you would attempt to present an assessment of what goes on at shows you don't attend. :)

• Members

It doesn't matter what YOU think -- there are millions of people who say you are wrong. You've never been to one of his shows so you have no clue what he is.
:)

How do you know I've never been to one of his shows? :p

It matters to ME what I think . (That's what these forums are all about. We all spew what WE think.)

And I certainly wouldn't take the time to hate on him (got sucked into to it :) ), just surprised that he's considered a "hell of a musician".

No big deal. Best of luck to all his fans.

• Members

How do you know I've never been to one of his shows?

It's obvious. Want to try and pretend you were? Go ahead and tell us the details... :)

I'll go one further and say that, although you want to give opinions, you haven't even listened to the CD. Kid Rock is a hell of a musician, he's out there knocking massive audiences on their asses unlike you.

It matters to ME what I think .

Take that to bank...

• Members

It's obvious. Want to try and pretend you were? Go ahead and tell us the details...

I'll go one further and say that, although you want to give opinions, you haven't even listened to the CD. Kid Rock is a hell of a musician, he's out there knocking massive audiences on their asses unlike you.

Take that to bank...

First off I was talking about Timberlake.

Second, yay for Kid Rock. I'm happy for him and his fans and I'm thrilled that you love him so dearly.

Third, what the hell are you knocking me for? What the {censored} are you doing?

Why did you start this thread? To say "hey Kid Rock is great and successful and you and me...we're all losers!"

Nice.

• Members

Well, like they say, you know what opinions are like (we have have one, presumably).

And like Billster said, you can be a great musician and a great entertainer. One doesn't preclude the other.

I find Yo-Yo Ma to be a great musician, perhaps on a higher level than Kid Rock. But you may feel differently. Nothing wrong with that!

I believe Kid Rock to be more of an image-conscious entertainer than a great musician. Now, he may be selling more albums than Yo-Yo, but to me that still doesn't make him a better musician. Probably a better entertainer, though.

Are you still not understanding? I can give you more help if you need it. I'm a helper.

• Members

Michael Jackson: Entertainer

So someone who has an awesome voice and can sing flawless harmonies is not a musician?

I always thought of MJ as one of the best musicians in the world.

EDIT: I was typing this when you were explaning a bit more Jeffski,....sorry,

Booshy

• Members

First off I was talking about Timberlake.

Same thing applies. He's out there pleasing fans and making big things happen. How about you?

I find Yo-Yo Ma to be a great musician, perhaps on a higher level than Kid Rock. But you may feel differently. Nothing wrong with that!

I believe Kid Rock to be more of an image-conscious entertainer than a great musician. Now, he may be selling more albums than Yo-Yo, but to me that still doesn't make him a better musician.

Just curious, have you spent any time with Kid Rock's music or ever seen him play a show?

I always thought of MJ as one of the best musicians in the world.

Amen, all weirdness aside that guy set the bar. Period.

• Members

Of course it sounds "instantly familiar" - it's a crass and disgusting splicing of two of the most over played (but very good) songs ever. It's this type of mentality that makes me glad that I never pursued a professional career in music.

• Members

it's a crass and disgusting splicing of two of the most over played (but very good) songs ever. It's this type of mentality that makes me glad that I never pursued a professional career in music.

HAW!

Using this song to rationalize your career or lack thereof? Oh man, now I've truly heard them all. :)

It just gets more bizarre...

• Members

Same thing applies. He's out there pleasing fans and making big things happen. How about you?

Did you even read my posts?

Seriously, what are you doing? I get that Kid Rock is successful, in fact, I already knew that before. But what does that have to do with you? What are you doing?

• Members

Just curious, have you spent any time with Kid Rock's music or ever seen him play a show?

Even better: I've done work for companies that endorse him and/or his bandmates. I've hung out with him on a few different occasions, most recently last summer. I may actually have a photo of me and him around here somewhere.

And it's fine for you to like him. No one's making fun of you, I promise.

• Members

I've done work for companies that endorse him and/or his bandmates. I've hung out with him on a few different occasions, most recently last summer. I may actually have a photo of me and him around here somewhere.

That's not what I asked. And meaningless in the context of what I did ask. :)

• Members

I'm not taking sides here. I'm quite frankly too busy to do that right now.

But I'd love to know where someone like Prince falls in this apparent "dichotomy" of musician vs. entertainer.

He dances. He wears outrageous clothes with sequins. He makes movies. He produces. He plays many different instruments very well. He sings really well. He writes songs, some of them extremely good.

• Members

That's not what I asked. And meaningless in the context of what I did ask.

Oh, sorry. Yes, I've seen one of his shows here in LA, from backstage. Maybe I missed the full Kid Rock experience from back there. I've never sat in the seats, and while I've been given his albums, I've not spent a lot of time listening to it, no.

Why do you ask?

• Members

Of course it sounds "instantly familiar" - it's a crass and disgusting splicing of two of the most over played (but very good) songs ever. It's this type of mentality that makes me glad that I never pursued a professional career in music.

It's your type of mentality that makes everybody glad you never pursued a professional career in music.

• Members

I'm not taking sides here. I'm quite frankly too busy to do that right now.

But I'd love to know where someone like Prince falls in this apparent "dichotomy" of musician vs. entertainer.

He dances. He wears outrageous clothes with sequins. He makes movies. He produces. He plays many different instruments very well. He sings really well. He writes songs, some of them extremely good.

I had a pretty lengthy response typed, but realized I wasn't logged in.

Anyway, the short answer is that he's both equally. Definitely a rarity in the music world.

• Members

Oh. Sure, I have.

You just said that you've not spent time listening to it. Now you say you have? OK.

I'm skeptical now. Sorry. I'd be surprised if you have any meaningful knowledge of the music contained on those albums.

The people who listen to this album seem to like it. I've not heard any complaints from people who bought it. To me that is impressive, I wish I could make albums that people loved en masse like that. Lessons to be learned from this album.

Archived