Kid Rock: How the Detroit rocker scored a monster hit with "All Summer Long"

• Members

Music Calgary's post is interesting, and he makes a lot of good points.

Except #6. My reaction to #6 is that I just don't care. Popularity does not equal talent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At any rate, the guy worked his ass off to get where he is, and definitely has talent. To begrudge him his talent smacks of sour grapes to me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Music Calgary's post is interesting, and he makes a lot of good points.

Except #6. My reaction to #6 is that I just don't care. Popularity does not equal talent.

Yes it does. The Jonas Brothers are the most talented band alive. Miley Cyrus is second, only because there's just one of her, so that's 1/3 the talent.

• Members

...Sweet Home Alabama & Werewolves of London have basically the same chord progression in the same key - not the most challenging fit, really....

I've not exactly been following this with baited breathe, in fact I've spent much of the past few weeks in a van with some avid radio fans & happen to've heard this track several times, but I did wonder if that similarity would surface.

One of the first things I noticed was the greater resemblence to the Zevon record than the Skynyrd record (the guitar part of KRock's track isn't a dead-on match, perhaps deliberately so).

That, coupled with the sub-par lyric about "we we're trying/smoking different things" definitely gives WZ, having spotted the commercial value of this progression earlier, leverage over KR, at least in this case.

Beyond that, I wonder: exactly when did KRock decide that becoming the new Bob Seger was his best tactic & why he didn't chose "Night Moos" as his model?

Back to the reality of this section of Net realty, it does seem a bit laborious for one to worry so much about defending the, uh, honor of someone they don't even know.

Kinda reminds me of kids slagging each other over the relative virtues of the Beatles vs. the Dave Clark 5.

One could wonder, had they the time in this world, why bother with KR ?

Aren't there artists who've sold even more records &, therefore perhaps, even more deserving of plaudits?

Further, when it's clear (or at least suggested) that some denigrate KRock despite his talent (Hey, I like him, too!) solely b/c they gots nothing going theyselves, could it not be equally true that some champion, or have the time to champion, him b/c they gots an equal amount of nothin' to show ?

Ah, if only I'd time to ponder this further ...but I must off to settle another thread about the relative value of the individual Beatle's records may balance against their corporate work.

Yes, such are the timeless questions of the philosophy of art.

• Members

halfnote, that's...deep, man. You get a Phil.

:phil:

Myself, I don't really like Kid Rock's music. Does that make me shallow?

I do, however, like Tory Cassis' music. Maybe that makes up for it.

Probably not, since Tory hasn't made millions of dollars and doesn't have panties thrown at him. Does that make him 'less' of a musician?

Archived