Fender vintage bridge screws poking my hand.

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

the hardtail on my tele deluxe was the same way, the saddle screws scraped the crap out of my hand... i ended up buying graphtech saddles to solve the problem. you could probably shorten the grub screws a hair.. easy if you have a bench grinder. :o

• Members

If the guitar is setup correctly and the neck angle is right, you shouldn't have the screws poking out of the sadlles.

I'd imagine your sadlles are almost resting on the bridge right?

If the neck angle is right, the saddles will be off the bridge, the screws contained inside the saddle and still have a low action on the guitar.

• Members

I was looking at my bridges on a MIM and a Squier and found something interesting... Both are vintage type saddles, but the Squier appears to have shorter screws on the E strings. Never noticed it, but I never had a problem. I guess my palm never goes that low. First pic is MIM, second is Squier. Maybe you can either get or shorten the screws.

IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg

• Members

My American Standard has shorter screws on two of the saddles. They haven't been customised.

Incidentally, in the past I had this same problem as you on a Fernandes Strat and managed to buy a set of screws that were shorter than the originals.

The other option, as mentioned, is to shim the neck a little.

• Members

Or grind those ones shorter. No reason to go 'round your elbow to find your ass.

That's what I've done to all of mine. It's sort of a tedious task... I take one out at a time grind off the bottom... sometimes it's hard to get them back in because the end of the threads are ground off so you may have to back them in. I can't stand having any part of the screw stick out because I rest my palm on the bridge.

• Members

WTF just order shorter saddle screws.

A shim is no big deal. Cheaper than screws and will give you a nice even string height along the entire neck up to the bridge pickup, with usually a very noticeable action improvement beyond the 12th fret. Fender used the micro adjustment screw for the same purpose.

When the screws are sticking out of the saddles like that, they are working out of the intended range. A shim will not only improve your saddle situation, it

• Members

Ok thanks. But how do you know when you need a shim. Is it just something you have to learn from experience or is there a mesurment you can take.

The string angle over the neck should be a good indication. If the strings don't keep the same height (or really close to it) along the entire neck and up to the bridge pup, you may need a shim. The poking screws are a good indication too. If you lower the saddles to where they are resting on the bridge or about to, you might need a shim. You should be able to have 1.6 to 2mm action over the 17th fret without having the screws stick out so much.

A shim isn't a "fix all" solution, just one of the many adjustments in a good Strat setup. Besides the Fender site, you can find thousands of posts about it on the web and most of the major setup and maintanence books cover the subject.

:thu:

• Members

The string angle over the neck should be a good indication. If the strings don't keep the same height (or really close to it) along the entire neck and up to the bridge pup, you may need a shim. The poking screws are a good indication too. If you lower the saddles to where they are resting on the bridge or about to, you might need a shim. You should be able to have 1.6 to 2mm action over the 17th fret without having the screws stick out so much.

A shim isn't a "fix all" solution, just one of the many adjustments in a good Strat setup. Besides the Fender site, you can find thousands of posts about it on the web and most of the major setup and maintanence books cover the subject.

:thu:

Ok my appollogies to you.:facepalm:

I just tried this on my Highway One tele.

I see what you mean. The saddle screws are in the saddles now not poking up.

It didn't take much shim. I used a piece of sand paper cut to those fender spec. and put a piece of double sided tape on it to hold in place. I put it across the back of the heel in the body.

The action is much nicer down the length of the neck. Thanks for putting up with asshats like me.:wave:

• Members

Ok my appollogies to you.
:facepalm:
I just tried this on my Highway One tele.

I see what you mean. The saddle screws are in the saddles now not poking up.

It didn't take much shim. I used a piece of sand paper cut to those fender spec. and put a piece of double sided tape on it to hold in place. I put it across the back of the heel in the body.

The action is much nicer down the length of the neck. Thanks for putting up with asshats like me.
:wave:

No apology needed and I

Archived