Gibson's silk case liners???

Fireproof

• Members

Trust me, I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

So what is the purpose of the silk lining in the Gibson USA cases that lay across the top of the guitar?

Does everyone keep those intact? I ran across a guy who just cut his out and it got me thinking...I don't even really know what it's for...

• Members

Originally posted by Fireproof

So what is the purpose of the silk lining in the Gibson USA cases that lay across the top of the guitar?

Does everyone keep those intact? I ran across a guy who just cut his out and it got me thinking...I don't even really know what it's for...

The "shroud"?

Good question...:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Stonefoot

Whatever their function is, it can't be very important since all the new Gibson cases I've seen haven't had them.

That's strange. I just bought a Les Paul and it came with one!

But the case also had the "Made in Canada" sticker on it, so maybe it's just canadian sense of humor that I don't understand. :D

• Members

At least I know what it's called now - "shroud". LOL.

So here's my delimma. You know how it attaches in 3 places with a little strip of cloth? Well, my daughter sat next to my SG case when the shroud was flipped out and tore the shroud off of the cloth strip by the neck.

So now it's kind of a pain to mess with and I'm wondering if I should just cut the whole thing off, or try to mend it.

:freak:

Okay, so maybe I'm a freak for giving this more than 2 seconds of thought, but it's a new Gibby SG with a new case, so......

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

yeah, but then what about the finish on the back?

I know - see, that's the point! It's not like you put the guitar in a POUCH that totally surrounds the guitar, and then you put it in the case.

It's just a little guitar-shaped shroud that lays on top. Kind of like a dust-cover, yet, no dust will gather with the CASE CLOSED! Seems silly. Looks "expensive", but seems pointless, really.

(Note to gibby-haters: please no comments about Gibson's quality sucking because they are spending their money on pointless shrouds. Thank you.)

• Members

My theory is that the shroud is a product loyalty and advertizing gimmick.

For the owner, it reminds them that their guitar is very special, and deserves an extra level of care when being put away, all snug and safe until the next use. Then when opeing the case, there is the added anticipation of unveiling the little beauty. It heightens the experience, like lingerie.

For the bandmates or others who witness the veiling/unveiling, it jars their sensibility. "Hey this is something different, what is it all about? That guitar must be special...hmmm, Gibson..."

Can't you just see the morons at a some committee meeting coming up with bullsh*t like this? :p

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

See, this is the problem incarnate...

If Gibson didn't spend all of this extra money on "shrouds" they might be able to lower their prices a little and improve the shoddy QC!

;)

Oh believe me, you're paying for the shroud, it's factored in there - probably double, too :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by 70 Cam Guy

does it keep the fur/fuzz off of the strings and hardware?

actualy I have noticed my strings are always fuzz free on my two gibsons... that is probably the intention of it.... on all my other guitars I have to pick out the lint before I play:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by 70 Cam Guy

does it keep the fur/fuzz off of the strings and hardware?

We have a winner! I hate the fuzz buildup that gets around the plain strings and caught in the nut as well as in the wound strings. That wonderful, mysterious shroud prevents all that. :love:

-Ron

• Members

Originally posted by Fireproof

Annoying, I cut it out.... :)

Archived