Refused into a band...

RyanGillam

• Members

Because of the guitar I play.

Now I am not the richest person alive, so i can only afford cheap guitars, and I own an Epiphone LP Gothic. I do sound great and play really well.

So I auditioned for a band, and they said I could only join if I ditched my guitar and got something more expensive for "looks" are all bands going to be like this?

I am not interested in a new guitar, I am in love with my Epiphone and I don't see that changing. I have played real Gibson LP's. But I don't feel the connection like I did the first time I played this one.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

are all bands going to be like this?

no.

If you really can play, then bands who know will want you.

On the other hand, if the Rev Billy Gibbons said "Doc, I really want you in the band as the fourth member.......but you gotta ditch that ugly ass 335 and get a furry explorer" ...................

• Members

Funny, i have to soon to try out with a new band and i told them straight up "if you have a problem with me not having "brand name" gear, then i am not for you."

So far they havent turned me away, we'll see when i get there to play if the rest goes well. I have a bunch of guitars, epi's, squires, westone, gretsch electromatics, and some without any names. I have them because i like them, they play good for me and i like to mod guitars. I have a hard time with buying a $1500 brand name guitar and modify it the same way i would a $300 guitar. If it plays good, who cares---find a new band.

• Members

Yeah, screw that dude. If the guitar you play is the one that makes you happy then DO NOT CHANGE IT!!! The more solid of a relationship your body has with the guitar, the closer you come to being a full-on guitarist, and the better your playing will be. Those guys will have NO future. Move on, forget 'em, don't sweat it. And, No, not every band is like that.

• Members

Because of the guitar I play.

Now I am not the richest person alive, so i can only afford cheap guitars, and I own an Epiphone LP Gothic.
I do sound great and play really well.

So I auditioned for a band, and they said I could only join if I ditched my guitar and got something more expensive for "looks" are all bands going to be like this?

I am not interested in a new guitar, I am in love with my Epiphone and I don't see that changing. I have played real Gibson LP's. But I don't feel the connection like I did the first time I played this one.

star-trek-inspirational-poster.jpg

• Members

That's pretty stupid, dude. Even if you sucked a better excuse would have been something like "we're looking for someone with a different style" or some BS. Don't worry though, it will work out.... Slash auditioned for Poison and didn't get the gig and things worked out fine for him. :idea:

• Members

That sucks man, but I agree you're probably better off. It shouldn't matter what you play, should matter how you play. And if they didn't like you're style, but pussed out and said it was your gear, then they're still douche bags and you're still better off.

• Members

haven't had it happen, but I've been in a band where I was voted down on an audition for another guitarist because the guy I perferred showed up with a JEM. He was far far better than me, and obviously knew how to fit into a band musically, but nooo, you can't play a JEM in a blues band :facepalm:

screw people making decisions based on style

• Members

What the hell is wrong with a Starcaster? I'd love to have one of them!

That's a real Starcaster from the 70s. Now Fender is producing these sub-Squire, piece of {censored} starter guitars and slapping the Starcaster name on them. You can find them at places like Wal-Mart and Costco.

• Members

What the hell is wrong with a Starcaster? I'd love to have one of them!

a%20Starcaster%20full%20view.JPG

i'm talking about the crap fender sell at target...

http://www.target.com/Fender-Starcaster-Acoustic-Guitar-Pack/dp/B000VO6DBU/sr=1-1/qid=1233930914/ref=sr_1_1/177-1288750-0120263?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Afender%20starcaster&page=1

not the vintage starcaster stuff...the pic you posted is dead sexy by the way:thu:

Damon

• Members

To answer your question, no, all bands won't be like that, but I'll be honest...

Your gear is important when you audition for a band. All things being equal, I'll pick the player with the better gear. Even if the guy with the better gear is not quite the player the other guys is, if he can handle the gig I would still prefer the guy with the better gear. Nothing is more frustrating than having some guy mess around with his cheap ass gear during a gig, nothing. If you have good gear you want to bring it to an audition. Once you get the gig you can show up with any cheap ass POS you want unless the band protests.

Same goes for transportation. You can be the world's greatest guitar player but if you can't find your own way to a gig I've no use for you. There are certain things a band needs to be practical and decent gear is one of them. Mind you, I've a bunch of cheap guitars myself and I've also had problems with a few of them. When I audition or the band is auditioning though I bring the good stuff.

There's also image to consider. Some bands have a specific image they're going for and if you and your guitar don't fit it, then you just don't fit and there's not much you can do about it so don't sweat it.

Again, I know it sounds cruel but the reality is, given three equal players, one with Gibson, one with Fender, one with Epi, I wouldn't seriously consider the guy with the Epi. Sorry but that's the honest truth. I know a lot of these guys are here to blow sunshine up your ass but in the real world, your gear matters. It won't matter for all bands but for some, it will be an issue.

Archived