OT: Mattress Advice

• Members

We got a king size Simmons Beauty rest about 6 years ago and have been very happy with it. Ours is very firm no pillow top. I think it was $1200. Its holding up very well so far.

There's no substitute for going and lying down on a bunch to see what you like. We liked the Tempurpedic but felt more comfortable spending the money on a more traditional mattress.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The tempurpedic would have been great for me...I had a former gf who had one...except it doesn't breath, and I am very hot-natured.

I would be covered in sweat after a couple of hours on it.

Another problem is the foam doesn't move easily so "gettin' busy" with your S.O. on one of those beds can be a lot of work, since the matress won't move with your motion.

• Members

The main criticisms of the Tempur-pedic beds from people who dislike it are that it is too hot and it is too hard. These can probably be circumvented with some sort of breathable top.

The main criticism of the Select Comfort beds from people who dislike it is that it bows in the middle.

I've also been looking at another one called Dormia, a memory foam mattress that is sold in a store near my house. Some people are saying it's wonderful, others saying that the mattresses don't last long and Dormia has lousy customer service.

There's also supposed to be a memory foam mattress called Bragada that might be good, but I haven't Googled this yet. Their website looks good, but they have no dealers in California.

So this basically leaves me completely bewildered. If I had to choose right now, I'd probably get a Tempur-pedic and throw some sort of pillowtop cover on top of it (which I own already). But I don't know.

• CMS Author

Mattresses are a bit like mic preamps in that it's difficult to find out which one is really "best." Your decision is made more complex because the mattress manufacturers make the same basic mattress with several different names and only cosmetic differences like a different pattern on the cover. That's so you'll never find exactly the same mattress at two different shops and you can't compare prices.

I almost always find the mattress in a civilized hotel to be more comfortable than the too-firm-because-I-thought-I-liked-it-at-the-time mattress that I have on my bed at home. I know that Hilton will tell you want kind of mattresses they use (they probably get a kickback) but the local people at the hotel probably don't know. And because of the above, it doesn't do much good to look at the tag and try to find it somewhere.

Good luck. All I know is that next time I buy a mattress, it won't be the firmest one I can can stand, even if it might be better for me. I think I'm getting too old.

• Members

They may be very individual, but there are some things that are measurable in a mattress. That'd be firmness, out-gassing (toxicity), level of support, pressure reduction on body, and longevity. And when you're blowing anywhere from $500-$3500 for a mattress AND you have a bad back, it becomes a complicated and bewildering set of choices.

The Bragada is used in many upper-end hotels and is made in the USA, so it might be worth looking into. Unfortunately, there's not many stores in which you can "test" them.

• CMS Author

They may be very individual, but there are some things that are measurable in a mattress. That'd be firmness, out-gassing (toxicity), level of support, pressure reduction on body, and longevity.

True, but what do you compare? Like specifications for audio equipment, you rarely know how those are measured, or how they actually affect how you'll sleep. Given two A/D converters, one that specifies a S/N ratio of 110 dB and the other with a S/N of 106 dB will buy the 110 dB one, but really there's no audible difference in noise between them.

By the way, I'm looking at new tires for my car now, and I'm equally bewildered. Maybe I should just go to Sears and buy the second most expensive one they have in the size. ;)

• Members
Maybe I should just go to Sears and buy the second most expensive one they have in the size.
;)

Jesus, I am SO guilty of that shopping "method". "Hmm, it's not the most expensive, but it ain't cheap. Must be good!" :lol:

I've been in some hotels with great beds recently and am going to try and recall the sensation of laying in those beds when I go to lay down in the mattress place. I'll buy the first one I fall asleep on... in the store. :lol:

By the way, side note: I consider myself VERY fortunate that while I do have some back issues, I do NOT have insomnia. I usually fall asleep within about two minutes of hitting the hay, even on a {censored}ty mattress. One less thing I need to worry about while bed shopping. :thu:

• Members
True, but what do you compare? Like specifications for audio equipment, you rarely know how those are measured, or how they actually affect how you'll sleep. Given two A/D converters, one that specifies a S/N ratio of 110 dB and the other with a S/N of 106 dB will buy the 110 dB one, but really there's no audible difference in noise between them.

Well, if I thought it were straightforward or easy, I'd probably have made my choice by now!!! :D

• Members

By the way, side note: I consider myself VERY fortunate that while I do have some back issues, I do NOT have insomnia. I usually fall asleep within about two minutes of hitting the hay, even on a {censored}ty mattress. One less thing I need to worry about while bed shopping.
:thu:

(sigh)

Back problems. Insomnia. Sinus problems and allergies that forces me to sleep on my side so that I can breathe. Bad shoulder that makes sleeping on my right side harder and harder. Getting old sucks and you are about 10 years behind me Jeff....

Last year I finally paid up. $1200 for a good pillow-top. Should have done it years ago. It helps with everything but insomnia. But at least when I am lying awake at night I am comfortable. :cool:

• Members

Mattress shopping is one of the more relaxing kinds of shopping trips. My girlfriend and I went to Sit 'N' Sleep and laid around.

There's a Miralux mattress, a natural latex mattress, that felt very good, and was, as a bonus, cheaper than many of the other foam mattresses.

Our favorite was a $4000 Tempur-pedic mattress, one of their top-of-the-line mattresses. We felt as close to floating as possible. The Tempur-pedic line varies in feel (and price) wildly, so if you have tried the original Tempur-pedic, I can tell you that this and some of the other higher-end lines do not feel the same at all. At any rate, we don't have $4000, so the Miralux is in the running.

We're going to check out the aforementioned Dormia Ultra Dual and then make a decision, most likely between these two.

• Members

Mattress shopping is one of the more relaxing kinds of shopping trips. My girlfriend and I went to Sit 'N' Sleep and laid around.

So did my girlfriend and I! And guess what?

There's a
Miralux
mattress, a natural latex mattress, that felt very good, and was, as a bonus, cheaper than many of the other foam mattresses.

I bought it. Queen, $1399. They delivered it on Sunday morning, and I slept in it for the first time last night. So far, I really like it! I actually liked the feel of it more than the more-expensive equivalent models from Sealy, Simmons and Serta. Anyway, I slept like a baby last night and my back feels good today, so... so far, so good.

• Members

I bought it. Queen, $1399. They delivered it on Sunday morning, and I slept in it for the first time last night. So far, I really like it! I actually liked the feel of it more than the more-expensive equivalent models from Sealy, Simmons and Serta. Anyway, I slept like a baby last night and my back feels good today, so... so far, so good.

It definitely feels really good. I'm going to check out the Dormia and make a choice. We also thought if felt better than the more-expensive equivalent models. The only one that we strongly preferred to the Miralux was the top-of-the-line Tempur-pedic, which was insanely wonderful and felt as close to floating as possible.

And $1399 was the same price for the Miralux at the store we went to as well.

• Members
By the way, Ken: did you notice that they carry a couple of mattresses that were in the $8500 - $10,000 range? What... the... hell? Who buys that kind of stuff?

I guess it's the same people that spend $10,000 on a fridge. Yikes!

We did see them. And we thought, "For $10,000, if this doesn't make me feel like I'm floating in mid-air, it's not worth it!!!" :D

I'm not sure why they're that expensive, and I'm not sure who buys them, but obviously, people with more disposable income than you or I.

I won't even buy the $4000 Tempur-pedic, even though I could afford it. That's far more than I want to spend on a mattress.

We had a fun salesman. He kept on referring to "Larry" (for those who don't know, Sit 'N' Sleep has an owner named Larry...and they've been advertising these silly commercials on TV and radio for years in which Larry slashes prices while his frazzled, harried accountant throws complete fits and finally exclaims, "You're killin' me, Larreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!1") as if the guy was always in the store.

For example, the salesman would say, "Larry doesn't carry that line of mattresses any more because they proved to be a little too unreliable." or "Larry really will keep things on the showroom floor for a while because he really wants to give great mattresses a chance to catch on with the public if he really believes in it." or "Larry puts these mattresses through some tests to make certain that they are manufactured consistently."

He also had a funny sense of humor, the salesman did.

• Members

Sounds like the weasel has a new lair, and I'm late to the party again. What the heck, I still have two cents.

First... I don't think you can really know a mattress by flopping a few minutes in the store, but what else can you do? You can find hotels that use such-and-such, then schedule a vacation... Hmmm..

For my wife and I it came down to the temper-pedic or the sleep number. A full-on temperpedic was too expensive, so I asked around at work, etc. A number of people had sleep number beds. Most were couples. Typically, one partner will have a life changing mattress experience and the other will be "meh...".

I lost my job the day after we went for a sleep number. We decided to keep it anyway, because our old mattress was killing us both. We'd wake up 85 years old and get younger as we hobbled away from the mattress. to save money, I measured the mattress at the store and built a frame myself. The queen size, mid-range sleep number thingy still cost $1800, I think. But by all accounts, good mattresses usually cost at least that.

When the mattress came, via UPS, it took just a couple hours to set up on my new frame. My wife got the life-changing experience. Claims that the thing "fixes her back" after a bad-back day. I am less enthused, but I don't EVER wake up 85 years old any more.

One clarification: These mattresses do not sag in the middle. The air never wears out, either. If it does, you can get new air. I'll sell you some -- we have the good stuff here. The stuff in LA is gritty and hard.

• Members

Jeff,

I got a posturepedic-like mattress two years ago and am very happy with it.

However, the main point of this post is to make you aware of an ancient chinese device that has saved me from the serious back issues i had been experiencing for some time. The "Ma roller".

http://www.themaroller.com/

This thing is better than any chiropractor ever was. It lets you use gravity to decompress each spinal joint- one by one.
When i feel my back turning into an S -shape this thing makes it right before it gets out of hand. Its been a lifesaver for me.

YMMV

Archived