The Seymour Duncan '59 Love/Hate Thread

GAS Man

• Members

This pickup according to Guitar _________ Magazine is the number one most popular after market pickup in terms of sales. That indicates "love". (I'll fill in the blank later, it was either G-World or G-Player Mag)

But I've lamented that it can be "muddy" at least in the neck position in some guitars. I've seen others here with the same complaint. Other comments I've read are that it can be "quite bright", which seems to contradict the "muddy" comments.

I had to toss one out of my Yamaha SBG because it was too muddy in there, but yet with the right amp setting the same neck pickup seems to work okay in my Schecter C-1 Classic. But I'm thinking about pulling it, replacing it with a Jazz for more articulate clarity, and then installing that '59 in the neck in my Epi Explorer Korina (which is a lighter wood) along with a new '59 for the bridge. Haven't tried the bridge model yet. I also think this p'up works pretty good in the neck slot my Fender Showmaster Blackout (basswood).

Frankly that pickup confuses me a bit. Seymour is no dummy; it's a top seller; adopted by a lot of manufactures; I've only had mixed results at best with it; but I'm thinking maybe with the right woods in the right guitar it might deserve this place of distinction. Or, it could all be successful marketing hype. :idk:

What's the rest of the thoughts here on the HCEG board about the "most popular after-market pickup of all time". ?

• Members

Meh...the Jazz is better as a neck p/up.

IMHO, in a direct A/B comparison the '59 lacks a bit of clarity and response.

Though I WOULD believe it's the most popular thing SD makes...GC certainly pushes them hard enough :rolleyes:.

• Members

The 59 neck can be woofy and or muddy, especially in mahogany guitars. I have found that an A2 magnet makes it a much more usable pickup in terms of tone/s. The 59 bridge can be a bit bright and thin on the unwound strings, especially above the 12th fret. I am going to try an A8 magnet in a 59 bridge to see if it fills it out like it does to the Duncan Custom.

• Members

I think I've had three guitars with 59s in them. One was quickly replaced with a JB, the other two stayed. I think they are an OK pickup. I personally wouldn't call it muddy, but those were both in alder bolt on guitars. I tend to think it's a bit thin sounding, but not really overly bright, just not very full sounding. I have a friend with a 59/JB combo in a LP and a Alnico II Pro/Super Distortion combo in another LP. With gain trying to get that Slash type tone, it's just super easy with the Alnico II. I know that's what he uses, but it has a weight about it that is hard to get away from. The 59 just sounds kind of plain. Not bad, but plugged right into an amp, or through an OD pedal, there's just no real magic there.

But no doubt, the 59 has been used on countess great recordings so there's no way I could say it's a bad pickup.

I have Ibanez Super 58s in an older Ibanez and they sound similar to the last 59 I had though I think I prefer the Super 58s a hair.

Put it this way, I've had three, one was switched immediately and the other two were sold. And I don't for see putting a 59 in a guitar anytime soon.

• Members

But I've lamented that it can be "muddy" at least in the neck position in some guitars. I've seen others here with the same complaint. Other comments I've read are that it can be "quite bright", which seems to contradict the "muddy" comments.

Could that be because all guitars don't sound the same? :wave:

• Members

My heritage HC150 came with a pair in. I found these pickups both shrilly thin sounding and muddy for the lower strings. They also seemed to kill sustain. Adjusting pickup height and polepiece screws did not make it get any better, and I was very please to sell them.

There is a certain complexity about the tone that reminds one of vintage pickups and the neck is bearable (though hardly good) but it doesn't make up for the rest of the tone. It's hard to imagine a guitar they would sound good in, although surely there must be some in which they do.

• Members

59' Bridge model is a great, underrated pup in my experience. Can cover most any tone. Of course, the guitar in which it's installed has a lot to do with it... maybe more so with that pup than with others. Also, I found the neck model to be average/good, but tap that thing and it turns into an awesome sound!

Archived