No announcement yet.

Best guitar tuner apps?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best guitar tuner apps?

I'm trying to figure out the best guitar tuner app, particularly for acoustic. I use an iPhone. Seems like most people online keep coming back to the same 5 or 6 apps:
    • Guitar Toolkit
    • iStrobosoft
    • Cleartune
    • Pitchbot
    • TuneOrama
    • Gibson Learn and Master
    Should I be considering any others?

Seems like the Guitar Toolkit and the Gibson app are nice because you get multiple tools in one app (metronome, chord charts, etc.)

Jesse

Alright, after looking around a bit, here's my two cents: http://www.theguitarjournal.com/the-...ar-tuner-apps/
    Last edited by theguitarjournal; 04-09-2014, 09:23 AM.
    Jessetheguitarjournal.com

For a quick tiune I use Roadie tuner. Looks a little like a one color snark. Perfect when I pick up a guitar in a shop that is out of tune...

Comment

I have tried several but Cleartune is my favorite.

Comment

My favorite is a free app called "Pano Tuner" (Not "Piano", just "Pano") Nice big visual display makes it easy to see, even on an iPhone.
        Michael D. www.mdlmusic.webs.com "I'm tired of rock-and-rolling Let's get married, Honey, let's go bowling" --Martin Mull

Comment

I am using DaTuner on android ... if anybody knows of something better, let me know.
          Bob.
          Martin HD35 | Gibson J45tv | Taylor DN3 | Guild GAD25 | Taylor Baby | Yamaha FG413SBD | Yamaha FG200

Comment

Fretfiend was right. Tuners make your ears lazy.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

@jamesp, yeah I guess you're right, but at some point you need a reference pitch to start from, right? (unless you have perfect pitch)

I actually prefer tuning off a piano, but those aren't guaranteed to be in tune either...

Comment

I was only trolling a little bit. I stopped using phone apps for tuning or tempo. They're not very useful at gigs and I've got several nicer tuners and metronomes at home. They might be okay for "just in case" applications, but who doesn't already have a tuner in their case? I also got a little paranoid about the Permissions some of the free apps wanted access to: "Location? Contacts??? Dude, you're a metronome!"
                Last edited by jamesp; 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Ha!, no worries. I think most things on my phone fall into the category of "convenient, but not dependable". So, yeah, I wouldn't count on apps for gigs or anything, but they're handy when I'm at a friends house or something.

Comment

The thing is that the're not handy at a friend's house. To tune with one, everyone else has to be quiet, right? That's a PITA and completely pointless if you have a *real* tuner. Than again, maybe your friends are more quiet than mine. No, I think tuner apps are a useless gimmick. And I'm willing to defend this ridiculous point for dozens of pages if necessary. ;-) .

What I'm more interested in are Recording apps. Does anyone have recommendations for audio apps for Android? .

Comment

Originally posted by MDLMUSIC View Post
                      My favorite is a free app called "Pano Tuner" (Not "Piano", just "Pano") Nice big visual display makes it easy to see, even on an iPhone.
                      X2, great free tuner

Comment

I don't have a smart phone but I found a guitar tuner ringtone that will get you in the ballpark. I modded it in Audacity, increasing the volume and lengthening the duration of the notes.
                        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                        Member of the Schecter Society
                        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by jamesp View Post
                          The thing is that the're not handy at a friend's house. To tune with one, everyone else has to be quiet, right? That's a PITA and completely pointless if you have a *real* tuner. Than again, maybe your friends are more quiet than mine. No, I think tuner apps are a useless gimmick. And I'm willing to defend this ridiculous point for dozens of pages if necessary. ;-) .

What I'm more interested in are Recording apps. Does anyone have recommendations for audio apps for Android? .
                          I downloaded a recorder app that is okay for capturing an idea. Also good for those tiresome speaker engagements/symposiums of verbal golden showers. Agree about tuner apps. Kinda pointless in a time when tuners are cheaply abundant. But, these days I fall off the page quickly if it looks like a person or group is going to foist faux logic upon me. Retreat, says I, to a lounger and a book instead.
                          - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

I checked out Pano and Roadie, both look nice with good reviews. Is x2 an Android app? Didn't see it in the iOS app store.

OK, on a different note (ba dum tss), what are some favorite real, physical tuners?

(Regarding recording: I'm afraid I'm no good on Android, but for iOS I've used Multi Track Song Recorder, Garageband, and the built-in voice recorder. The problem is always the microphone. Do you buy an external mic? Use an adaptor for a DI?)

Comment

Originally posted by theguitarjournal View Post
                              I. . . OK, on a different note (ba dum tss), what are some favorite real, physical tuners? . . .
                              The Snark clip-on is fairly popular. I have one I bought based on multiple recommendations here on the forum. I don't like the way the display dims as the battery gradually dies (over a period of months for me) but it's easy to use and accurate. Works for most instruments but I do generally use harmonics when tuning a bass with it.
                              Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                              Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                              Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                              Member of the Schecter Society
                              Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Working...
                              X