Best guitar tuner apps?

theguitarjournal

• Members

I'm trying to figure out the best guitar tuner app, particularly for acoustic. I use an iPhone. Seems like most people online keep coming back to the same 5 or 6 apps:

• Guitar Toolkit
  • iStrobosoft
  • Cleartune
  • Pitchbot
  • TuneOrama
  • Gibson Learn and Master

Should I be considering any others?

Seems like the Guitar Toolkit and the Gibson app are nice because you get multiple tools in one app (metronome, chord charts, etc.)

Jesse

Alright, after looking around a bit, here's my two cents: http://www.theguitarjournal.com/the-9-best-guitar-tuner-apps/

• Members

I was only trolling a little bit. I stopped using phone apps for tuning or tempo. They're not very useful at gigs and I've got several nicer tuners and metronomes at home. They might be okay for "just in case" applications, but who doesn't already have a tuner in their case? I also got a little paranoid about the Permissions some of the free apps wanted access to: "Location? Contacts??? Dude, you're a metronome!"

• Members

The thing is that the're not handy at a friend's house. To tune with one, everyone else has to be quiet, right? That's a PITA and completely pointless if you have a *real* tuner. Than again, maybe your friends are more quiet than mine. No, I think tuner apps are a useless gimmick. And I'm willing to defend this ridiculous point for dozens of pages if necessary. ;-) .

What I'm more interested in are Recording apps. Does anyone have recommendations for audio apps for Android? .

• Members
The thing is that the're not handy at a friend's house. To tune with one, everyone else has to be quiet, right? That's a PITA and completely pointless if you have a *real* tuner. Than again, maybe your friends are more quiet than mine. No, I think tuner apps are a useless gimmick. And I'm willing to defend this ridiculous point for dozens of pages if necessary. ;-) .

What I'm more interested in are Recording apps. Does anyone have recommendations for audio apps for Android? .

I downloaded a recorder app that is okay for capturing an idea. Also good for those tiresome speaker engagements/symposiums of verbal golden showers. Agree about tuner apps. Kinda pointless in a time when tuners are cheaply abundant. But, these days I fall off the page quickly if it looks like a person or group is going to foist faux logic upon me. Retreat, says I, to a lounger and a book instead.

• Members

I checked out Pano and Roadie, both look nice with good reviews. Is x2 an Android app? Didn't see it in the iOS app store.

OK, on a different note (ba dum tss), what are some favorite real, physical tuners?

(Regarding recording: I'm afraid I'm no good on Android, but for iOS I've used Multi Track Song Recorder, Garageband, and the built-in voice recorder. The problem is always the microphone. Do you buy an external mic? Use an adaptor for a DI?)

• Members
I. . . OK' date=' on a different note (ba dum tss), what are some favorite real, physical tuners? . . .[/quote']

The Snark clip-on is fairly popular. I have one I bought based on multiple recommendations here on the forum. I don't like the way the display dims as the battery gradually dies (over a period of months for me) but it's easy to use and accurate. Works for most instruments but I do generally use harmonics when tuning a bass with it.

• Members

Just for kicks I installed Pano today. It required the Permissions I was talking about, location and network access. Seemed to work well enough, picked up low E better than my StroboFlip, but fell just a tad flat on the G & B strings. I'll probably uninstall it tomorrow. For tuners I like the Flip and have a couple of Snarks.

The Recording App that's surprising me is the Soundcloud app. So far it's making much better quality recordings than HD Audio.

Archived