Not Again....

pinchegordo

• Members

Well today has been a day of sorrow for me.I got a call that one of my closest friends has overdosed and passed away.He had recently moved and checked into a detox/rehab program for heroin addiction,and did what so many do,got out then went and got high.

My mind is reeling this isn't an acquaintance mind you but one of my best friends i knew since we were in 1st grade,worse his younger brother had committed suicide about 5 years ago.I feel so horrible for his father.

I have been sober for almost 2 years now and am so grateful that i have managed to get a grip on my addictions.I only wish i could have somehow helped him.

This is starting to become all to normal a scenario in my life......i have lost 22 friends and family in the last 5 years,and most to suicide and addiction.Doesn't this seem extreme?:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

• Members

Man. I don't wanna know what your going through.

I know one person who has an addiction, sexual compulsion, and its made life hell for her and people around her.

I once had a month where I lost 4 friends an 3 acquaintances to suicide.

I felt like death was all around me.

It's hard to find hope when you're there.

But thats where I found God.

• Members

My condolences Pinch. Death is tough to accept. It does get easier as we move along. I am a friend of Bill W so if (one of) your addiction(s) is alcohol I will say don't drink and go to meetings. I will pray for you, the living, as well as your friend. If your addiction is other then I say, don't use and go to meetings. :)

:cry:

• Members

My heart goes out to you Gordo.

My mom just passed away a couple of weeks ago and I've lost a cousin to suicide (many years ago and it destroyed his family) and my wife's brother to an overdose/suicide just a few years back.

I'm not going to say I know what you're going through, 'cause I don't. But you have to be strong and don't be afraid to lean on your friends and family around you. It's not a sin to need help, now and then, to get through a rough time like this.

If you've made it this far without falling off the wagon, even after all these losses, you are stronger than you may even imagine.

You have one advantage over many in this world, you have your music to turn to.

• Members

A guy I grew up with, Jim, got into drugs while we were both in high school. He was bright and talented and he could've been anything he wanted. He died of a heart attack before he was 30.
I'm sorry for your loss--all of them--and you're in my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

Thanks everyone, mucho appreciation......

Sometimes it's easier to say things you need to, to people who are, for the most part strangers.

Last night me and my sister we talking about a time when i had just turned 16,and me and her and my 2 best friends(Travis,the one who passed yesterday,and Aaron who died from an accidental gunshot wound a little over 5 years ago) went to a concert in Las Vegas(it was the first time i had been out of town without my parents,the first time any of us had,for that matter)we went to see NOFX one of my all time favorite bands.We were invincible man, and if you would have told me that both of of those friends wouldn't live to see 30 i would have never believed it.

We were just so young,had no idea about the real pain of addiction and the struggles we would face and endure.Why were we in such a hurry to grow up?

Anyways no worries guys,i'm in a good frame of mind

• Members

I feel your pain.

I lost several friends that I grew up with to drugs, alcohol, suicide, and murder. My brother died from heroin when he was in his early 30's. I was shooting meth every day for years and almost bought the farm a couple times myself.

My way out was joining the army and thats what worked for me. I have not touched drugs since 1983. I smoke cigarettes still, but thats it.

I know what you are going through, and I know that you have probably been prepairing yourself that this type of thing could happen to your friend, and I'm sure you know that the only person who can help an addict is themselves.

You have done fairly well in staying clean for almost 2 years, but don't go thinking that you are stronger than you think you are. You have to let things like this make you stronger.

Hang in there, and know that I'm right there with you.

• Members

You have done fairly well in staying clean for almost 2 years, but don't go thinking that you stronger than you think you are. You have to let things like this make you stronger.

Hang in there, and know that I'm right there with you.

I have actually been clean from coke and heroin for 5 years and almost 7 years clean from meth.I was still smokin herb and drinking on the daily up until 2 years ago,i havent smoked herb in over 2 years but have had a few slips with the drink,i fully understand the boundaries of my sobriety and respect them implicitly.

I have lost all desire to use.I also don't think about drinking in panic situations,mostly i miss the drink when i'm hanging out with friends.

• Members

I have actually been clean from coke and heroin for 5 years and almost 7 years clean from meth.I was still smokin herb and drinking on the daily up until 2 years ago,i havent smoked herb in over 2 years but have had a few slips with the drink,i fully understand the boundaries of my sobriety and respect them implicitly.

I have lost all desire to use.I also don't think about drinking in panic situations,mostly i miss the drink when i'm hanging out with friends.

Ok. You are doing better than fairly well, and I did not want to give you a false impression or make you think you where doing better than you are. I've been clean for going on 26 years, and if someone layed out some meth in front of me I would not do it, but the thought would still cross my mind.

I hope you did not take my previous post the wrong way.

• Members

Ok. You are doing better than fairly well, and I did not want to give you a false impression or make you think you where doing better than you are. I've been clean for going on 26 years, and if someone layed out some meth in front of me I would not do it, but the thought would still cross my mind.

I hope you did not take my previous post the wrong way.

No worries bro.I know exactly what you meant:thu:

• Members

Yeah, we can talk. Kinda like strangers, but we're not. We're just unknown to each other. Anonymous. Sometimes it's easier to talk that way. Man, I'm sorry for what happened, sorry for your loss. There's lots of friend's of Bill here. Take care of yourself, you are a gem.

• Members
Yeah, we can talk. Kinda like strangers, but we're not. We're just unknown to each other. Anonymous. Sometimes it's easier to talk that way. Man, I'm sorry for what happened, sorry for your loss. There's lots of friend's of Bill here. Take care of yourself, you are a gem.

Thank you sir.:thu:

• Members

Pinch: I don't know you or your background. I do know how it hurts to lose a loved one in death, whether a family member of a close friend, as I've lost quite a few. However, everyone is different and no one can say I know exactly how you feel. From the comments here, though, we do understand to a point. What helps me in when this happens is the belief that God knows what you are going through and also what your friend was going through before their death. Here is a link that may prove comforting to you, as it was and is to me.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20050815/article_01.htm

Many people don't know what to say when death happens so they may say the wrong thing trying to help or not say anything at all. May I suggest letting people know it's okay to talk about your friend and it's been recommended that you speak of the person in the present not in the past as the person is very much alive in your memory. (i.e. I like the way.... instead of I liked the way..... Very sorry for your loss and the sadness that is resulting from it.

Best regards,

Flip

• Members
Pinch: I don't know you or your background. I do know how it hurts to lose a loved one in death, whether a family member of a close friend, as I've lost quite a few. However, everyone is different and no one can say I know exactly how you feel. From the comments here, though, we do understand to a point. What helps me in when this happens is the belief that God knows what you are going through and also what your friend was going through before their death. Here is a link that may prove comforting to you, as it was and is to me.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20050815/article_01.htm

Many people don't know what to say when death happens so they may say the wrong thing trying to help or not say anything at all. May I suggest letting people know it's okay to talk about your friend and it's been recommended that you speak of the person in the present not in the past as the person is very much alive in your memory. (i.e. I
the way.... instead of I
liked
the way..... Very sorry for your loss and the sadness that is resulting from it.

Best regards,

Flip

Thanks Flip,you know i have a strange outlook on death,i never cry,but i am a very emotional person.Death is inevitable we all inch toward it daily,who goes first is like a lottery,some of us increase our chances because we hold more tickets(i.e. addiction,bad health,poor genes etc.)bad analogy but a relevant one.I always talk about the friends i lost ,i loved them all very much.There are very few constants in our short time on this planet but here are the big 3 for me.
1.You will endure terrible loss' many times.
2.Some bad {censored} will happen to you.
3.A whole lot of wonderful {censored} will happen to you.

seems to me like which of these 3 we choose to focus on plays a big role.I choose the 3rd and leave the other 2 to chance.
Take the time to enjoy simple pleasures ,they are the stepping stones to a happy life.

and of course the most important .....
"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice,pull down your pants and slide on the ice":)

also if you guys want to know a bit more about me.....
www.myspace.com/pedro_pinchegordo

Archived