About to to buy a second guitar. Shed some light guys!

TheLlama

• Members

Ok I know this subject has been done to death but I need your help guys.

I already have a Strat that plays great but I need something more versatile without being too "metal" or "modern" as far as looks go but I do need the modern performance. It's a good instrument with a fantastic neck which was custom built but at the time I was playing a lot of "straty" blues and made the mistake of cutting a really narrow nut. The neck is an exact replica of a late 60s strat that felt good to my hands for what I was playing at the time (a lot of "thumb over the fretboard" stuff). Right now, I'm not really ejoying the narrow string spacing or the fact that the strings are too close to the edge of the fretboard.

It doesn't have to be another Strat

Fixed or Trem. I do gravitate towards trems though I like the simplicity of fixed bridges.

Hum Cancelling pickups (HH or Noiseless)

No thin necks and Vintage radius. Closer to 12inch or Compound

Now, I'm no noob as far as guitars go. I've owned my share of guitars though the years. I've owned or played Eric Johnson Strat, 60s Hot Rod Strat, Baja Tele, Ibanez JS1000, Ibanez Rgs, Washburn N4, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Esp SuperStrats, Tokai Les Pauls, Orville Les Paul, 339...hell even Squiers and Epiphones (no dis).

I've had experience with a fair amount of guitars and due to this, I've hit a wall with "option paralysis" written all over it.

I was actually happy with all the gear I had but due to illness and medical bills, pretty much everything had to go. I just kept my trusty Strat but after 3 years it just isn't doing it for me anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's a good instrument and it's been road worthy but I need something else as a basic instrument. My favorite guitar from the bunch was the Ibanez JS1000. It was my first good guitar and I loved the neck, pickups and overall playability of that thing. I could've lived without the Edge Pro. I could get another one but I have so much Satch in my veins and the JS will make it even more obvious LOL. The LP Custom was awesome but didn't get much stage time due to bulkiness (wimp) and it always felt more fragile than my Strats/Teles. Brought it only for those special gigs.

My budget is limited. I can spend up to 1000 galactic credits, new or used. Any ideas?

• Members

If it was me the choice would be simple, a better Fender Strat, but then I'm not an Ibanez kinda guy either as I can't stand those wizard necks (too skinny). If you have a grand and want to go all out, I'd say look for a used Eric Johnson or a late 80's Strat Plus as it's hard to beat the dollar to quality ratio on those. Lot's of variations on those Strat Plus guitars - not all funky roller nuts and locking Schaller tuners, and sometimes the others can be had at Standard prices. If you want a good Strat on the cheap, look for a used roadworn or even cheaper - a 90's vintage Fender Squier Series. The roadworns though made in Mexico are closer to American quality and have many of the same specs as an Eric Johnson including the nitro finish. Now the Fender Squier Series can still be had dirt cheap, and are exquisite mod platforms because in the early 90s, the bodies and necks were made in Corona and only finished in Ensinada. I have two that after a neck shim, a graphite or tusq nut install, a better trem block and a set of alnicos, is really in the same ballpark as my 89 Strat Plus. Plenty of meat on theses planks and plenty wide enough for the American spec nut. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, two piece bodies on mine, and my MIA Strat Plus has a three piece, go figure.

• Members

134038b.jpg

This guitar comes with the following added options:

B - Jet Black

PH - Headstock To Match Body Finish

CL - Carvin Locking Tuners

EVOJ - Gold Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W

BMF - Birdseye Maple Fingerboard (Tung-Oiled)

5MM - 5-Piece All-Maple Neck

KNW - White Plastic Volume/Tone Knobs

KLB - Kiesel Passive Lithium Bridge Pickup

KL - Replace Carvin Logo w/ Kiesel Logo

404 - White Coils w/ Black Bezels [h=2]Bolt-V General Specifications:[/h] [TABLE=border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0]

[TR]

[TD=width: 60, align: right]construction[/TD]

[TD=width: 9] [/TD]

[TD]bolt-on neck[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 60, align: right]scale length[/TD]

[TD]25.5"[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 60, align: right]fingerboard[/TD]

[TD]rosewood with white dot inlays, 14" radius[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 60, align: right]bridge[/TD]

[TD]Vintage tremolo[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 60, align: right]tuners[/TD]

[TD]Standard Carvin non-locking tuners, 15:1 ratio[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 60, align: right]neck width[/TD]

[TD]1.69" wide @ nut, 2.22" wide @ 22nd fret[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 60, align: right]dimensions[/TD]

[TD]38.75" long, 12.5" wide body, 1.72" thick body[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

It's over in the Keisel/Carvin "In Stock" section right now.

http://www.kieselguitars.com/guitarsinstock/electric-guitars

• Members

Never really bonded with the Eric Johnson Strat neck. Great instrument though. Wizard necks aren't my thing as well. Pretty much hate them. The JS and Andy Timmons models have a fender neck on them but with a faster fretboard. A better Strat might be the way but I'd like to get something stock and good (used or new). Thanks for the input!

• Members

I would call the standard Carvin neck a medium C shape. It's not thick, But, not Ibby thin. Carvin does offer a thin and thick option on the neck thru's. You would have to call and ask about the bolt-ons.

As for weight. You can ask for them to go through the wood and find a piece that is to your weight preference, grain and figuring. But, it is an up charge.

• Members

I guess you've tried just about everything in your price range. I've found a few guitars in the 500 price range that just wailed and just flat out played great (Godin exit 22) Then I bought my Tom Anderson drop top classic and then my Cobra S with M series pickups. Its a whole different ball game. The 08 prs custom 22 is nice too but hate the rotary switch. I know we all have to live within our means but it sure is nice to cry once and be done with it.

• Members

I haven't played anything new in a while, that made me want to pull out the wallet and grab it. you want something different? Try to find an Ibanez JS700. Yes, a satch, but so un-satch like, that it's cool. 2 P90's, stoptail, all you really need.

Archived