The Les Paul Custom Shop Thread

docjeffrey

• Members

Had my camera out today. Thought I'd start a thread for those of you who have Custom Shop Les Pauls. Post 'em loud and post 'em proud! Any CS Lester is welcome! But PLEASE, give us details.

Top to bottom

2010 R0 Wildwood in Golden Cherry Burst

2005 R4 in Iced Tea Burst

2002 R8 in Washed Cherry

2011 Alex Lifeson Axcess

r001.jpg

r401.jpg

r802.jpg

al02.jpg

• Members

wow

doc - with so many great guitars to choose from, how do you find the time to truly bond with any one of them?

if it were me, i'd still be playing that warmoth tele you put together and thinking i was neglecting my one les paul

if i were to rate the top on my les paul from 1-10 it would be a zero but i love the sound of it and i play it at least four hours a day

• Members

wow

doc - with so many great guitars to choose from, how do you find the time to truly bond with any one of them?

if it were me, i'd still be playing that warmoth tele you put together and thinking i was neglecting my one les paul

if i were to rate the top on my les paul from 1-10 it would be a zero but i love the sound of it and i play it at least four hours a day

Honestly, I spend 4-6 hours a day playing, recording, etc. I have bonded with most of my guitars quite well, and they all get played frequently. I've owned most of my guitars for 5 years or more, and my '52 Tele RI is 25 years old (I bought it new). My Ricks are 12 years old and I've owned three of my Les Pauls for 10 years or more.

I've been playing and buying guitars since 1971. The years go by quickly! Since my son is away at college, I do lots of extra work and it pays quite well. Teaching an extra 3 semester hour class in Denver or Colo. Springs gives me an extra $4500 to spend and I do it specifically to purchase gear. My wife doesn't miss out because her mom sends her $5K a twice a year. Anyway, our family has been blessed beyond what I would have ever imagined and I'm so thankful to have this avocation of collecting and playing guitars! It's the best hobby ever.

• Members

gorgeous collection, Doc. If I had to pick just one that washed cherry R0 seems to do it for me, although the ice tea R4 is very, very close.

Got my R4 on my lap right now. It's a great Lester with a huge voice courtesy the fat neck. Bought it used for $2K--one of the best deals...

I haven't modded any of my CS guitars, but I may just replace the Gibson P90's for a set of Jason Lollar's highly regarded units.

• Members

it's just a little bit of envy on my part - i'm very happy for you and i always enjoy your posts

i've chosen a different path where my life is much simpler and my guitars are as well - my les paul is a gift from a friend who enjoyed hearing me play it and my warmoth tele is very basic but serves the music well

• Members

it's just a little bit of envy on my part - i'm very happy for you and i always enjoy your posts

i've chosen a different path where my life is much simpler and my guitars are as well - my les paul is a gift from a friend who enjoyed hearing me play it and my warmoth tele is very basic but serves the music well

I built a Warmoth Tele a couple of years ago. I love it. Lollar Vintage T's and a Braziliian RW board. It's a peach and all told, only about $1200. I also built a La Cabronita Tele for about $800. Really cool guitars with lots of character. Just wait a few years and see how many guitars you end up with! They sneak up on you.

• Members

My 2010 R8, nestled behind my explorer - sorry about the crummy pic -

The guitar is simply awesome. Great feel, nice, chunky neck and awesome tone - love it through my Maz 18. I hope to add a second soon; either an R7 or a 68 reissue les paul custom (love these in black with chrome hardware)

P1010106.jpg

• Members

My 2010 R8, nestled behind my explorer - sorry about the crummy pic -

The guitar is simply awesome. Great feel, nice, chunky neck and awesome tone - love it through my Maz 18. I hope to add a second soon; either an R7 or a 68 reissue les paul custom (love these in black with chrome hardware)

Love the darkburst! And the Hamer is a bonus!

• Members

This is the only decent picture of my 2009 Les Paul Custom VOS 68 in aged white. Great guitar. It has a chunky neck and sounds amazing through just about every amp I've played it through. I think it's pretty too.
:D

I've lusted over those for years. No Customs in my collection. WTF is wrong with me. Anyway, I've always wondered whether they had slightly thicker bodies than standards or is it just the way that the binding is designed?

• Members

I've lusted over those for years. No Customs in my collection. WTF is wrong with me. Anyway, I've always wondered whether they had slightly thicker bodies than standards or is it just the way that the binding is designed?

they are the same size

i think you are right about the binding - the edge along the back is more defined

Archived