Did Link Wray actually invent power chords?

honeyiscool

• Members

It's always confused me how people say "Rumble" is the first song to use power chords yet I don't hear power chords in the song. I suppose technically the D chord is a power chord since there is no third in that chord, but it's played in the open position, and every other chord in the song (E major, A major, B7) is a standard open chord.

[video=youtube;bjs5QWjvNWc]

So what am I missing here? OK, he played an open chord across four strings in order to have voice leading... how does this have anything to do with how power chords went on to be used by subsequent guitarists? I mean, "You Really Got Me" clearly has power chords the way they are still used today, but "Rumble"? Cool song, great guitar tone, I just don't see why it gets mentioned in power chord discussions.

• Members

Pete Townshend nominates John Lee Hooker. In a fax he sent me while I was working on my JLH biography Boogie Man (originally published in 1999, now back in print thanks to Canongate Books -- PLUG!), he wrote:

"Without him there would be no 'power chord.' It is time to give the credit for that little invention to the man who really created it, John Lee Hooker. Take it from me. I know."

• Members

Further to JLH: much of his early work was done in an open-A tuning which goes (low to high) E, A, E, A, C#,E. Loaded with Is and Vs, which is the classic definition of 'power chords.' He certainly wasn't the first to use this 'Spanish' tuning, which was a standard building block of Delta blues (though, interestingly enough, he was one of very few to use it without a bottleneck or slide), but he did indeed place a particular emphasis on its unique properties.

[video=youtube;VZ4zaWIM1pc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ4zaWIM1pc

• Members

You should add a bit to the Wiki entry, Charles. The Townshend JLH bit would go well, I feel.

I am disappointed it goes no further back than the Robert Palmer stuff.

Its a bit vague about anything older than me!

• Members

Regarding powerchord structure (which is almost as logical as a two legged table) I think honeyiscool had it right; the root and 5th absent a 3rd. It's not a chord in the technical sense, but it was named powerchord just the same. It serves as a bed for the creator of melody to establish tonality on his/her own.

My knowledge of theory is limited theory, but that's what i was taught.

I'm diggin' me some JLH right now. :cool:

• Members

Anybody playing in open tuning and using a slide is technically playing power chords. If you're looking for who invented that, you have a difficult task ahead of you.

How so?

Open tuning usually feature a 3rd.

D A D F# A D

D G D G B D

Power chords lack the 3rd, allowing them to imply both Major and Minor chords.

DG is a power chord; GDB is NOT.

• Members

A bit off topic, I dig how excited Jimmy Page gets when he plays Link's vinyl in the Rock Doc 'It Might Get Loud in Here.'

yes that is awesome. He air guitars it and purses his lips like hes on stage.

OT but Link Wray claimed he recorded Rumble in 1954, meant to be danced to a thing called "the stroll"

[video=youtube;UrGLNtZ0rEg]

I never heard anyone say he invented the power chord though

• Members

anyway moving on

this made me dig out the cassette of Link's album released in the 70s when he was re-signed by Polydor.

Recorded in what he referred to as the 8 track chicken shack (his home studio) with his brother Vernon, and some interesting production, it is a nice piece of work and I am happy to have been reminded of it.

Although my cassette is about to die, I remember the spacious mix they got.

and not a power chord in sight.....................

• Members

no one invented power chords. they've been there forever. who knows who the first human being in the world was to play a root and a 5th on a stringed instrument? probably tens of thousands of years ago.

if you're wondering who first recorded them on an electric guitar in the 20th century, then i have no idea. does it matter?

• Members

You should add a bit to the Wiki entry, Charles. The Townshend JLH bit would go well, I feel.

I am disappointed it goes no further back than the Robert Palmer stuff.

Its a bit vague about anything older than me!

Not surprised, didn't you go to a Mayan school?:lol:

• Members

Not surprised, didn't you go to a Mayan school?
:lol:

I will dignify that simply by saying "look at the first quote of your sig".

anyway I thought you and I were of an age?

Or am I posting below my age group again?

• Members

I will dignify that simply by saying "look at the first quote of your sig".

anyway I thought you and I were of an age?

Or am I posting below my age group again?

Only ribbing.

Yes we are.

No your not.:thu:

Archived