Timeline + Space, who still uses the golden combo?

Ancient

• Members

So yeah this was the ultimate combo just a few months ago, who is still using them together? and how do you feel about it standing the test of time? All hype machine, or justified glory?

Here's the dealio yo, I've all ready got a timeline and my band uses alot of reverb. I'm considering going to a stereo rig and I'd like to have a stereo delay/verb effects loop to send both amps through. The Space seems like my best bet for keeping it true stereo / dual mono / whatevah you wanna call it and having a {censored} ton of flexibility and options. The only downside is I would have to give up my El Cap to finance it :cry:

What say ye HCFX?

• Members

Seems like the Space is
complete
overkill for 95% of users. I liked the unit, but am happier with something simpler as well.

I've heard that but fortunately it's not one of my main worries, we use ALOT of reverb :lol: and I would probably make use of alot of its sounds (i go through 7 to 8 different presets in the timeline per show, and would probably go through a similar amount of verbs). I'm perfectly happy with my ghost echo, just thinking about how i would use it without a second reverb if i go to a stereo rig and want to put my effects through the effects loops of both amps.

• Members

Will you not have horrendous ground loop issues running stereo effects in the loops of two amps at the same time?

Depends on how well the amps are made, I think.

• Members

Depends on how well the amps are made, I think.

A custom made Dunwich 200watt amp and an Orange AD200b, their pretty well made. And actually its nothing to do with the quality but just the overall design of the amp, depending on how the phase inverter and preamp are setup.

• Members

All ready taken into consideration sir! Pretty sure we got it figured out
:thu:
To explain the routing would be a headache
:facepalm:

A custom made Dunwich 200watt amp and an Orange AD200b, their pretty well made. And actually its nothing to do with the quality but just the overall design of the amp, depending on how the phase inverter and preamp are setup.

Yes, it also has to do with how they are grounded. A lot of amps have ground loops to begin with that get much worse when another amp is involved but work alright on their own. I recently have had this problem with a blues jr. However, if both amps are properly star grounded your ground loop problems should be much less apparent.

• Members

I'm still using it. I'm midi dependant so it's the best option for me. If Strymon ever released a Reverb version of the Timeline, I would probably switch to that.

I really liked the Blue Sky in plate mode. But everyting else was kind of lack luster to me. The shimmer and spring on the Space are much better.

The Space in Spring mode also has amp like reverb which gets into the flint territory.

The Hof was way too dark and the Space could do anything it could do.

The RV-5 also nice, but it only did one thing.

I use my pedals to create unique pads for ambient stuff. If I were to go with a Trinity or Wet, I would be far too limited in what I could make.

• Members

Yes, it also has to do with how they are grounded. A lot of amps have ground loops to begin with that get much worse when another amp is involved but work alright on their own. I recently have had this problem with a blues jr. However, if both amps are properly star grounded your ground loop problems should be much less apparent.

Spot on good sir, both amps are quiet as a mouse with no apparent ground loop issues so i should be okay. The only time i ever had any kind of problem is with a Dr. Sci RRR, even on a VL2+ it did not like my strymon pedals at all, and that was in mono, I've had zero issues otherwise, coupled with an ABY that has phase reversal and groundlift options I should be okay.

• Members

I'm still using it. I'm midi dependant so it's the best option for me. If Strymon ever released a Reverb version of the Timeline, I would probably switch to that.

I really liked the Blue Sky in plate mode. But everyting else was kind of lack luster to me. The shimmer and spring on the Space are much better.

The Hof was way too dark and the Space could do anything it could do.

The RV-5 also nice, but it only did one thing.

I use my pedals to create unique pads for ambient stuff. If I were to go with a Trinity or Wet, I would be far too limited in what I could make.

I have a feeling one day we may become a midi dependent band (for click tracks, tap tempo syncing, etc) which is another reason i'm considering the space. I also do alot of ambient stuff in my band, with plans to do alot more, so i really appreciate your input!

• Members

Seems like the Space is
complete
overkill for 95% of users. I liked the unit, but am happier with something simpler as well.

This was just one reason I sold mine in favor of the Blue Sky/Flint combo.

1.) The Space was clearly designed for someone that does a lot of studio work. From its functionality to its vast array of options, there's a lot more use for it in a recording studio or someone that does a lot of demo tracks. But live, it was a bit annoying - soooo many options, and the preset spillover lag was really odd and awkward.

2.) no being able to use multiple presets at the same time was the biggest deal breaker for me. I wanted to be able to run the Shimmer and Hall simultaneously, but still wanted multiple presets, so I got a Blue Sky and Flint.

3.) the digital conversion started to annoy me after a while. It didn't at first, but I really started noticing it eventually. There was also always some extra noise left over when in trails/buffered mode.

Still love the Timeline, and the Flint and BSR are a great pair. All 3 of them provide any amount of modulation/delay/reverb I could ever want or need. :)

• Members

i went the opposite direction. had the damage control timeline and sold it to get the new one. went with a SMMHw/h and Carbon copy. never looked back.

there is something to be said about dumb immediacy

Archived