What amps do you think sound brittle?

Cornholio Farquarth III

• Members

So plug the guitar directly into the amp, set everything at 7 (except reverb, gain, vibrato, tremolo etc). If it has a master volume, set the volume at 7 and slowly bring up the master. Similar idea with the gain. The guitar should be wide open or at that elusive sweet spot around 8. Getting nice tones or is it too "brittle"? Too brittle, don't buy it...

I can understand the question and why you have to ask it.

These days, with everything on line, it's difficult to find a store that has the amp you want to try out. I went to both Guitar Centers in Denver, before Christmas, looking for some specific amps to try and I kept hearing"I can order it for you." Hell, I can order one myself, but I don 't want to shell out a bunch of bread just to try an amp out - that's what the store's for, isn't it? I'm sure they'd get tired of paying all that shipping back and forth, just so that I can check out an amp here in the sticks, but that might be the way it works from here on out.

• Members

Brittle is a descriptive word that can mean different things to different people. To many it means Harsh, brick wall, lacking smoothness and compression. I interpret brittle as being able to break easily, as in going from clean to distorted within a narrow change of power. Tubes will saturate gradually in comparison to many transistor amps that would go from clean to a nasty distortion breakup that is not complimentary to musical tone.

Older Transistorized (Non Mosfet) amps are for the most part are brittle to my ears. There are some excellent Mosfet designs now so I wont say all Solid State. There are many early designs that used standard NPN and PNP power transistors.

15015-hf-power-amp-npn-180w-120v-transistor-9100001-thumb.jpg

The Blackfaces Peavey gear is a good example. On the clean channels you could drive them up in gain till they began to saturate and the harshness of the breakup was nasty. They used additional gain stages for the drive channels as a lame imitation of tube saturation but it didn't come close, mostly because there was zero compression to smooth the attack. Today, companies like Vox and Marshall do an excellent job imitating tube response. Marshall uses an actual preamp tube in their Valvestate amps and Vox uses coils in their Valvetronix designs to mimic tube sag. Others combine either tube preamps or tube power amps to soften the brittle transistor attack.

Just like SS designs, not all tube amps are smooth and creamy either. Allot has to do with the speakers used as well as the amp circuit and tubes. Power tubes especially can be biased to break up easily or produce a brick wall attack.

The Music Man amps MR Grumpy mentioned has a SS front end and tube power amp. When I got my 65w head it sounded very similar to my all tube Fender Bassman with the EL34 tubes. I replaced those with the new higher voltage 6CA7 tubes they are remaking for amps like that now. The amp doesn't get any power amp saturation now, just rock solid attack from the power amp. Speakers choices do make a big difference with it though. With one set of speakers the bright switch adds just enough high end to make it sparkle. With other cabs containing brighter speakers, it will make your eyes bleed.

Music man heads were designed around Fane speakers. I've never had a chance to try the head with them, nor will I likely in the near future.

I run mine mostly with alnico Jensens and it sounds pretty good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived