Private Parties on the schedule?

JailTime

• Members

I'm doing one tomorrow night at a yacht club. I don't post 'em, but I don't post my gigs anyway so I don't matter.

Why am I responding to this? I need help. Get me off this computer and into the real world!

• Members

Also, having "Private Event" listings on your calendar can make a statement about the caliber of a band. Generally speaking, private parties, especially corporate events, pay better than bar gigs. Some pay a LOT better.

In this area, one local band's dates are nearly half "Private Event" or "Wedding". Their web-site has a "references" page that includes not only the venues they play but also forune 500 companies, radio stations, major universities, country clubs, etc.

• Members

We list all private parties for reasons listed. I know a band that will not list any gigs because someone ratted them to the IRS. We claim all our money so there is no worry. :p If you're not sure wether to list gigs or not publicly, the IRS may be a factor in your decision. :eek:

• Members

I guess I was on the fence about this - thus the inquiry. Not worried about the IRS - although, that's a legitimate concern for some, I suppose. But typically, my band is not a private party kind of band - mostly originals, obscure covers. We have one coming up, and I was going to post it to our schedule until I got an event invitation from someone on myspace with their entire summer gig schedule. When I saw about the 10th private party listing, I began asking myself, 'well, when and where CAN I come see you?' ....and was annoyed.

So I've come to the decision that it's not an issue for my band, but for an all occasion band with a busy schedule and heavy demand, it's important. A {censored}ty little obscure bunch of wannabes need not worry. Thanks for the responses.

• Members

Actually, when I see a listing for a "private Party" on a bands website, I tend to believe that the band had a bare schedule that they wanted it to look a bit more full.

And I know that that isn't always the case, but I still think it looks that way. I know that bands do it sometimes.....

• Members

Actually, when I see a listing for a "private Party" on a bands website, I tend to believe that the band had a bare schedule that they wanted it to look a bit more full.

I can see the reasoning behind that, but take a different tack.

I leave open dates open, because I have had last minute calls from venues, and they usually start with ... "Our band for Saturday just cancelled and I see on your website that you don't have anything booked...."

• Members

I can see the reasoning behind that, but take a different tack.

I leave open dates open, because I have had last minute calls from venues, and they usually start with ... "Our band for Saturday just cancelled and I see on your website that you don't have anything booked...."

+1 I can't see putting a bogus "private party" date down just because we didn't have a gig. That would look pretty transparent after a while if a band wasn't working much. In our case, more than half our gigs are private parties and corporate functions.

Archived