Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
    View Post

I don't need a post stating that music isn't the most important thing to know it isn't to many here. All it takes is a swing by their website and a quick listen to the top 40 mock-ups to realize the bar is low.

Just be certain I understand the point you're making here ... are your comments directed at the Top 40 tunes ... or the versions of the Top 40 tunes on the various forumite band member websites you've visited?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
    View Post

So, sorry if it offends but, the idea of buying a Jam Hub is a pretty good freaking idea. Who cares what people say, Norm? Of course nobody here is saying music isn't important. That wouldn't be a very stylish stance. What I hear is, "Music comes first! That's a given!"

But, no it isn't. It isn't a given.

If your point is that there are some pretty marginal performances (as well as more than a few that I personally would consider downright ****************ty) that have been posted by fellow forumites - I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

However, I would also venture to say that each and every performance I've heard shared by fellow forumites represents the best that they could muster at the time. The reality is that our collection of forum members are each at their own spot on the spectrum in terms of musical development. Some are way up there ... others not so much. I'm also confident that each of them are doing what they know how to do to improve.

Obviously this isn't a breaking news flash - so my question to you is straightforward.

Should the fact that I'm at the beginning of the learning curve in terms of my personal musical development preclude me from talking about the business side of the game as well? What do you feel needs to be changed? Do we need to have folks send you recordings to see if their musical quality passes muster before they're allowed to talk about advanced topics like subs, lighting and wardrode?

Are you suggesting that those of us who aren't masters of our instruments and/or performing ought not take an interested in the whole spectrum of band issues until we pass muster musically speaking?
    The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
    www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
    Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
    Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

• Come on guys... I think it's pretty clear what I'm saying. I think playing top 40 is a great way to become a better player and band. For some, that is the goal, to play covers. That's great.

I'm trying to provide some balance. That's all. I've said it million times. Get your subs and your lights. I did. But there is a very real trend of diminishing musicianship. That's a shame. And I'm not particularly into "chops". I love groove and band simpatico interplay. I'm not bemoaning the passing of fusion here or anything.

But I'll be honest, I believe this whole trend of party band building is misguided. Is it for the money? Good luck with that. Is it for the hobby of it? Carrying subs sounds fun. Why not hire out and concentrate on what's important? So, I don't know, whatever. I'm not a holier than thou, nose in the air muso type. But I do think getting your rocks off on new subs is a freaking waste of energy and belongs with the boy racer crowd.

Soup up your Civic and go street racing. Who freaking cares! What does that have to do with making music that shakes asses and brings people a good time? I'm snobby? Not really. I just wonder where the music went.

Comment

• This thread is what I thought it was.
        Free prog-related metal from Michigan.

http://www.silentlapse.com

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
          View Post

Subs have been known to tighten up a band, inspire confidence in harmony singing and instill a sense of natural stage presence. I'd get subs.

Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

• Nobody ever talks about anointing a music director, or working with one. But even the volunteer praise band I was in had one of those. You know: someone that can say: hey mike, can you sing this harmony? Here are the notes. Or: can we do more if a half time feel here, or: this feels rushed. Let's cue up the original real quick and try to get that feel.

But really: get subs.

Comment

• Sorry...again I'm with Lee on this entirely. The rest of you are trying to argue your points to save face or something.

A band at this stage doesn't need a banner, subs, a light show or anything else. They need to take the talent they have and form a tight cohesive unit.

If you cant see Lee's point through his "storefront" example then you must be a little clueless.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Potts
                View Post

Sorry...again I'm with Lee on this entirely. The rest of you are trying to argue your points to save face or something.

A band at this stage doesn't need a banner, subs, a light show or anything else. They need to take the talent they have and form a tight cohesive unit.

If you cant see Lee's point through his "storefront" example then you must be a little clueless.

Amen.

Nine pages and only one post that deals with making rehearsals more effective? Wtf...

More rehearsals is lame and knee jerk. Having someone that has earned the respect of the others and has the ear and music knowledge to step up as a music director is what pro ensembles do.

Period end of story. Btw, that is my role in my current band.

Comment

• Beyond repeating for the millionth time that it's ALL important and doing one thing does not and should preclude another, it's probably worth mentioining--which mstreck already touched upon, that leap-frogging ahead with better gear and better gigs CAN help improve a band. Is there any musician here who's been doing this for any length of time that doesn't have a story about how getting some gig you probably weren't quite ready for helped push the band forward musically? It's these sorts of things that give a band an objective goal and reason to improve.

The bands and musicians that end up having the most success are the ones that just get out there and do it and make it happen for themselves. And if they aren't quite firing on all 8 cylinders, then they can play catch-up in that area later on. Sometimes that's THE best way to moving forward. In my experience, the guys who sit the basement and rehearse endlessly waiting for everything to be musically perfect are the ones who never get out, never have any fun, never make any money, never experience the real thrills that come from gigging and being in a working band and never move forward.

Especially at a cover band level, this is SUPPOSED be about having fun and making some extra cash (if not a living) right? Not about sitting around fretting what some jackass muso without a gig standing in the back of the room is going to think. Imagine if the guys in The Clash waited around to start gigging or working on their show because they were worried they didn't have the individual chops of the guys in Yes or weren't as tight as Tower of Power?

And yeah, I think we DO actually have a better time and put on a better show and even ~gasp!~ play better when we can feel the subs making the low-end thunder the stage and making the gig feel that much more like a rock concert. **************** ya. Subs rock.

Comment

• If i were the md in this band, I would shut down that Sublime tune. Rushed feel. Drummer needs to be behind the beat. Guitar: play loose. Let's try that again, make it swing.

Practice THAT way. Have the originals ready to cue up. Be prepAred for people to get annoyed at this direction. But stick with it.

Comment

• Wtf you talking about David? The clash were as tight as it gets. Lot of sophistication in that band. Don't let their punk label fool you. I watched hours of live clash vids just recently and was floored at how tight they were.

Their drummer in particular is a machine. Excellent time and unwavering technique.

And I don't even think subs existed back then lol.

Comment

• Wtf you talking about David? The clash were as tight as it gets. Lot of sophistication in that band. Don't let their punk label fool you. I watched hours of live clash vids just recently and was floored at how tight they were.

Their drummer in particular is a machine. Excellent time and unwavering technique.

And I don't even think subs existed back then lol.

Comment

• Yeah, they were just the height of sophistication and tightness when they started out.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlBzbRATgaU

Comment

• Yeah, they were just the height of sophistication and tightness when they started out.....

Comment

• Nope, better gear and better gigs only go so far. Water seeks the lowest level. Band rehearsals are the place to learn good habits, learn proper parts to play and sing, and listen for and correct defects

Comment

• Nope, better gear and better gigs only go so far. Water seeks the lowest level. Band rehearsals are the place to learn good habits, learn proper parts to play and sing, and listen for and correct defects

Comment

Working...
                                X